Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girl wants to share locker room with boys

Girl wants to share locker room with boys

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/ser...locker20050712

Hockey mum wants co-ed locker room
    Last updated Jul 12 2005 01:57 PM PDT
    CBC News
    A B.C. mother is demanding that her 14-year-old daughter be allowed to change in the same locker room as the boys on her co-ed hockey team, and has taken the issue to the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal.

Jane Emlyn and her daughter Jewel

Minor hockey league policy is B.C. dictates that there be separate dressing room for boys and girls once they turn 11.

But Jane Emlyn and her daughter Jewel, who live in the north Okanagan community of Lumby, says that's discrimination.

"It's their right to be in the change room. It's not a privilege, And I feel that if they can play hockey then they should be exposed to all the opportunities that minor hockey players have," says Jane Emlyn.

Jewel plays defence for the Lumby Stars. The team is co-ed, but most of the players are teenage boys.

She is only allowed in the male change room 15 minutes before game time. She says she feels like a "second-class player" because of that restriction.

"People shouldn't be making a big deal whether they're changing in a different dressing room, changing in the same dressing room. We should all just be able to play hockey and have fun, you know in the same dressing room, right?"

The Emlyns say the solution is shared change rooms with a dress code. And that when it comes time to shower, they say the minority gender would have to leave the room.

Minor hockey coach Bob McCuaig coached a Lower Mainland team of 14 to 16 year olds last season – a team that included one girl.

He says separate change rooms have nothing to do with discrimination, and everything to do with avoiding the possibility of harassment.

"In order to have a safe environment for everybody, where they are not going to feel threatened I would rather have a girl feel a little bit left out than threatened by, 'I have to change in the room with guys.'"

A decision by the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal is expected next week
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Girl wants to share locker room with boys

yeah, i think back to the days when i was 14 - having a girl in the lockerroom with me would not have been a good idea. well, it would have worked for me - which is why it would be a very bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    yeah, i think back to the days when i was 14 - having a girl in the lockerroom with me would not have been a good idea. well, it would have worked for me - which is why it would be a very bad idea.
    I have four words that sum up my thoughts on this whole issue.

"Let the Hazing Begin..."

Seriously, this is just asking for trouble. And this same mother would be the one filing a sexual harassment lawsuit against the school the very first time something went wrong(and believe me, it would).
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The level of "taboo" that we place on our own bodies, as humans, is borderline neurotic, at times...
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

"People shouldn't be making a big deal whether they're changing in a different dressing room, changing in the same dressing room. We should all just be able to play hockey and have fun, you know in the same dressing room, right?"
    Uuuuh.....no.

No, she really doesn't want to be in there..

I mean..it's ewww
    Go Gators!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    The level of "taboo" that we place on our own bodies, as humans, is borderline neurotic, at times...
    I agree. Eventually, as a society we'll evolve to co-ed facilities, but we may be decades or even centuries away.
    Stick to your guns.

This will give a whole new meaning to the phrase "high sticking".
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

When I was in marching band in the early 80's, we traveled fairly extensively to different field show and track show competitions, as well as away football games. Everyone changed on the bus together. Granted, no showering was involved, but it is still something that I just cannot picture going on in this day and age.

Odd thing was, I never noticed a single problem (granted I was a naive teenager) resulting from this arrangement. I am sure in today's environment that likely would not be the case. But aside from arriving early to get seats on the same bus a few particular girls and occasionaly casting a quick glance during the commotion of "changing time", nothing ever happened but I have no idea if there were ever any parent complaints. I know my parents never said anything about it... But I cannot picture the same scenario occuring in this day and age.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I don't really think that mom realizes the unpleasant smells that come from a men's locker room. I personally wish that while I had run track in high school that I could have changed with the women just based on the odors and weird things guy do in a locker room when no coaches are around( i.e. hazing/practical jokes).

In the infamous words of Glen Quagmire:

Dear Diary,

Jackpot!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I agree. Eventually, as a society we'll evolve to co-ed facilities, but we may be decades or even centuries away.
    Ever watched Ally McBeal?

Time is the Revelator.

No way should she be allowed to change/shower in the same locker room. Girls have cooties!

If there's no nudity involved, I don't see what the problem is on the face of it. however, I really have to question why she would want to put herself into this situation. Considering how boys tend to behave in locker rooms, having a cute girl taking her clothes off could result in problems for both of them.

I'm not so sure that co-ed facilities are in the best interest here.

Jewel -

You do realize that as a general rule, teenage guys never adjust the toilet seat in a locker room. If it's down, it's staying down, regardless of the situation at hand.

Any collateral damage or contamination from the various excretory functions is merely considered a normal cost of doing business by the stall occupant. Any messes are left for the next occupant.

Flushing is frowned upon.

There is a less than 1% chance that any given stall will be (1) functional, (2) clean by a first world standard, and (3) well stocked with paper products.

If that's what you want, then by all means, may you get the equal access that you so desire. We will gladly welcome you into our heretofore secret Utopia.

Turn Off Ads?