Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best band you were surprised to discover you liked

Re: Best band you were surprised to discover you liked

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    I love the quirky Mr. Lovett. Church, Don't Touch My Hat, That's Right (You're Not From Texas) etal. Why were you surprised, TC?
    I thought he was all country. I don't listen to much country.

Someone handed me the Live from Texas CD and I was hooked!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?

George Jones and The Smiths, two genres I poo-pooed until one day I saw it as big as day.

But don’t forget the songs
    That made you smile
    And the songs that made you cry
    When you lay in awe
    On the bedroom floor

The Drive By Truckers. They're considered "X-Country" or "Alt-Country," but it sounds like some pretty straightforward Southern rock without too much twang. And their songs are exceedingly well-written. "Carl Perkins' Cadillac" is incredible, especially the haunting acoustic version.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'd say it was Nirvana. Not a huge fan but I was surprised that I liked several of their songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

In no particular order:

Kid Rock
    Nirvana
    Alan Parsons Project
    ELO
    Moody Blues
    Blues Travelers
    Eminem

Hmm, bored with classic rock eons ago but still listen to it occassionally - so I'm always lookin' for new bands that are worthwhile (tough).

Despite their pouty, almost artificial teenagey looks (they have an image problem considering their target audience), "Ambulance Ltd." has really suprised me - very talented young men from New York - any band that so cleverly involves Velvet Underground influences with bands like Ride, World Party and the psychedlic era Beatles, gets my ear. Now if they could just "find themselves" and their sound....

I never thought I'd like the "Doves" as much as I do either, most people here in the states don't really care for them, I don't know why, they are my new U2 (since U2 went downhill big time with their last CD). They have a nice spin on classic rock and musicianship I appreciate, and their new CD "Some Cities" is an excellent example of their evolution. And they are a treat live.

As for a band I cannot seem to get into at all that are so popular in my circles - Modest Mouse - tolerable but quite boring - kind of like Franz Ferdinand and the White Stripes - one trick pony bands that lack creativity and will always sound the same in their own sort of hokey way, and will probably never evolve or expand their talents.

I'd have to say Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails.

I'm not a big fan of "loud" music, but I like both of these artists for their ability to make something "groovy" out of noise.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

(Some of you know this is coming. Sorry. )

30 Seconds to Mars. I was extremely surprised not only by how good they are (IMO), but by how much I loved their first album. When I heard it, I felt like I was being let in on a big secret. That was almost three years ago, and I love their music even more now. Am eagerly waiting for the new album to come out in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    I never thought I'd like the "Doves" as much as I do either, most people here in the states don't really care for them, I don't know why, they are my new U2 (since U2 went downhill big time with their last CD). They have a nice spin on classic rock and musicianship I appreciate, and their new CD "Some Cities" is an excellent example of their evolution. And they are a treat live.
    Ah, yes, I love them as well. One of my fave bands at the moment. Saw them on this past tour in front of a packed house at the 9:30 out here in D.C., it was a great show...the crowd was into them, they were really energetic, all around great time. "Some Cities" is very good, but I think "Last broadcast" is even better..."Satellite" is my current favorite song, such a beautiful number it is...

I glossed over Galaxie 500 when they first came out in the late 80's. The Dream Syndicate was my favorite VU rip-off at the time and I didn't need another. A few months ago I bought their first album, the next day I bought the other two, and haven't been able to get them off my stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    I glossed over Galaxie 500 when they first came out in the late 80's. The Dream Syndicate was my favorite VU rip-off at the time and I didn't need another. A few months ago I bought their first album, the next day I bought the other two, and haven't been able to get them off my stereo.
    Love both those bands. I saw Luna (Galaxy 500 decendents) last year and they were great. really like the last Steve Wynn album too.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Alanis Morrissette

Back in the day we'd poke fun at her angry man hating type of rock. Then I realized I really liked just about every song on her debut CD. Haven't bought any of her follow up stuff, guess since she started making money her music has gone from angry to just plain whiney, but I still listen to that first album.

I also find Oasis catchy, even if I can't stand the band themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Love both those bands. I saw Luna (Galaxy 500 decendents) last year and they were great. really like the last Steve Wynn album too.
    Just now checking out Luna. Funny thing is that I don't like Dream Syndicate as much now that I've found G-500. But I'll check out Wynn's newest.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    Alanis Morrissette

Back in the day we'd poke fun at her angry man hating type of rock. Then I realized I really liked just about every song on her debut CD. Haven't bought any of her follow up stuff, guess since she started making money her music has gone from angry to just plain whiney, but I still listen to that first album.
    Good call, josh.

I also listen to Alanis Morrissette and have found her music (most of it) is actually pretty good.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I'd have to say Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails.

I'm not a big fan of "loud" music, but I like both of these artists for their ability to make something "groovy" out of noise.
    in that case, i think you'd like Dope and Murderdolls and Zeromancer...and a few Ministry songs.

do you like Rob Zombie/White Zombie?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?