Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite musician not known to the general public

Re: Favorite musician not known to the general public

Nuno Bettencourt formerly of the group Extreme. Get way from the song "More Than Words" and you'll find one of the more truly phenomenal guitarists out there. Right up there with John Petrucci IMO, although vastly different in style. Listen to "Flight Of The Wounded Bumble Bee".

2. Turn Off Ads?

can't believe i forgot Nuno. "Kid Ego" and "Leave Me Alone" (i think that's the right one) have some the best leads and bridges i've ever heard.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    can't believe i forgot Nuno. "Kid Ego" and "Leave Me Alone" (i think that's the right one) have some the best leads and bridges i've ever heard.
    I always tried to mold my style after Nuno's. I really liked the way he concentrated on rhythms first and then the solos. He was truly a complete guitarist.

Don't know if you ever heard of Lillian Axe, but they were also a great band not known to the general public. Their guitarist (Stevie Blaze) was also a very talented musician, with a lot of classical influence.

Ken Tamplin

http://www.KenTamplin.com

He isn't what he once was but he can SING and WHALE on the guitar...
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    Ken Tamplin

http://www.KenTamplin.com

He isn't what he once was but he can SING and WHALE on the guitar...
    His stuff is awesome. My faves are "Slave Trade" and "Dancing On The Volcano"

Got to listening to some of my old 80's stuff and came upon old White Lion c.d.'s Have to think that if Vito played in a band that had a singer other than Mike Tramp, he would be more widely known. Heck of a musician he was though. I say was, becuase I've heard that he has a hand injury that severely restricts his movement and he no longer plays. Ravenlord, if you happen to look at this post, maybe you can confirm this for me.

Maxwell Edison. Check em out at maxwelledison.net, good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Got to listening to some of my old 80's stuff and came upon old White Lion c.d.'s Have to think that if Vito played in a band that had a singer other than Mike Tramp, he would be more widely known. Heck of a musician he was though. I say was, becuase I've heard that he has a hand injury that severely restricts his movement and he no longer plays. Ravenlord, if you happen to look at this post, maybe you can confirm this for me.
    i agree entirely with that, and no, he doesn't play anymore professonally. he broke his hand in a bar fight, and part of the bone damaged his nerves. since he's admittedly no where near the musician he once was, he feels it would be wrong of him to perform as is now.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Lemmy from Motorhead has to be one of the ugliest men alive not on the Rolling Stones.
    speaking of Lemmy, i am a huge fan of Hawkwind, Lemmy's band before Motorhead.
    i'm also a big fan of The Mekons, who've toiled in obscurity for at least a couple of decades.
    and, i am the proud owner of the only album made by Orchestra JB...and i like it.
    Put Klaatu, The Faces, Blue and one hit wonders Nena on that list, as well. Nena might have had other hits, but i enjoy a lot of their other work, as well.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    And there is a good reason why the general public doesn't want to know these characters RL.

One I have always liked, and is known in Chrstian circles, but not so much by the general public, is guitarist Phil Keaggy. Hendrix called him the greastest acoustic gutiarist he had ever heard. That's a complement. And especially to a guy who is missing fingers on one hand. He started out with the band Glass Harp. I still have his fisrt solo album "What a Day".
    Keaggy really is incredible. I've met him on a couple occasions. I think the Hendrix quote was from Rolling Stone, but I could be mistaken.

I'm also really into the music of Matt Molloy and Laurence Nugent, both excellent Irish flute players.

Mark Linkous

Peter Steele of Type O Negative

Doro Pesch

Hey - I remember Doro! 15 yrs ago or so we used to jsut crank out "All We Are" from her Warlock days.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I'm going to go with LarkinFan.

He's my favorite. He's cool.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Claudio Sanchez of Coheed & Cambria
    Pretty much the entire lineup of Coheed & Cambria are brilliant musicians.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?