Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Jayson Starks Top 10 to watch as the trade deadline approaches

Per Espn

Burnett
    Lowell
    Thome
    Dunn
    It isn't every July you get a chance to trade for a 25-year-old with a better career home run ratio than A-Rod, Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle. But Dunn fits that description, and clubs that have talked with the Reds say Dunn is definitely on the market. There are indications the Astros have made him their No. 1 target -- with both of their top pitching prospects (Fernando Nieve and Taylor Buchholz) potentially being involved. The Reds, however, don't do anything fast (except release slumping closers). And they still aren't sure they'll even trade Dunn. Clubs speaking with the Reds say they're debating whether they'd rather deal Wily Mo Pena. And an official of one team that has been in touch with them says they'll "consider" deals for Junior Griffey (even though Griffey has said he'd veto any deal) -- but not Austin Kearns. Nevertheless, there's no bat on the market more attractive than Dunn. So the big question, between now and deadline day, is whether the Astros, Dodgers, Mets, Indians, Red Sox or anyone else can afford Dunn's humongous price tag.
    Thome
    Wagner
    Chacon
    Arroyo
    Baez
    Lilly
    Randa

MARKET REPORT
    Randa is the other third baseman on the menu for teams that don't want Lowell's price tag. But despite all that talk of a bidding frenzy building around the eminently available Randa, clubs that have spoken with the Reds say he's been insanely overpriced. The White Sox, Indians and Twins have had some degree of interest. But all those teams are believed to view Randa as no more than a secondary priority. "We're just lukewarm about him," said an official of one team that at least checked in on Randa. "He's had a nice year. But he's never played on a winning team. And he's not the kind of player you overpay for."

Re: Jayson Starks Top 10 to watch as the trade deadline approaches

Other GMs annoyed with O'Brien's incompetence? I'm absolutely SHOCKED!

Quote Originally Posted by OSURedLeg
    Incompetence because he won't give his players away? I think other GM's are annoyed because they thought they'd be able to fleece him in a deal right away.

Agree.....NJ.

I do not like DO either......tried to give him time to do things...but he looks like a bad GM.

However.....he gets blasted for not doing anything.....then blasted for not trying to get enough.

Hold out for as much as you can. That is what he should do for Dunn or Pena..... Randa he can be more flexible but don't just give him away either.

where did it say that?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba
    where did it say that?
    Right here:
    But despite all that talk of a bidding frenzy building around the eminently available Randa, clubs that have spoken with the Reds say he's been insanely overpriced.
    It may not state the exact sentiments of the other GMs, but if you have ever been in a negotiation of any sort, and experienced your opposition making unrealistic and ridiculous demands, you are far more likely to look for other options than meet such demands. In fact, it's likely you will pull the plug all-together with your negotiations. The fact that the writer termed O'Brien's demand for Randa "insanely overpriced" tells me that he will lose the patience & interest from other clubs because he's being ridiculous in his demands.

Right here:

It may not state the exact sentiments of the other GMs, but if you have ever been in a negotiation of any sort, and experienced your opposition making unrealistic and ridiculous demands, you are far more likely to look for other options than meet such demands. In fact, it's likely you will pull the plug all-together with your negotiations. The fact that the writer termed O'Brien's demand for Randa "insanely overpriced" tells me that he will lose the patience & interest from other clubs because he's being ridiculous in his demands.
    you have to remember that Jason Stark may be quoting himself. I don't care much for anonymous sources.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    you have to remember that Jason Stark may be quoting himself. I don't care much for anonymous sources.
    Very true. But would it surprise you all that much if it were true?

Cheap shot that is pandering to the board :thumbdown ...c'mon, would you rather they LOVE what he is asking for? Think it through...I am happy the other GM's are thinking any of our players are overpriced...lets them know they have to give up something to get something.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    Cheap shot that is pandering to the board :thumbdown ...c'mon, would you rather they LOVE what he is asking for? Think it through...I am happy the other GM's are thinking any of our players are overpriced...lets them know they have to give up something to get something.
    I shouldn't have phrased it so strongly MartyFan I agree. But to bring it down to the simplest terms of how I fear the situation is, it sounds like O'Brien is trying to trade a Railroad property for Park Place straight up, & I am very concerned that his rebuttles will irritate other GMs to the extent that they will go somewhere else to fill their needs. I don't disagree at all with what you're saying, but as I've asserted - I'm not at all convinced that DanO has the intelligence & creativity to make beneficial trades for the Cincinnati Reds. It is simply my opinion, and next time I will avoid such strong language when conveying it.

Randa for Baker/Bowyer sounds good, Baker throws the low 90's sinker O'brien craves, I even would throw in Richie Gardner if there was a holdup. If I was O'brien, I would be dealing all Bowden era pitching draftee's for other teams talent.

Plus it isn't like Baker's the most talented pitcher in the world, he probably will be a moderately better pitcher than Harang if it works out. If the Twins can't do that, they have a problem I can't solve.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Plus it isn't like Baker's the most talented pitcher in the world, he probably will be a moderately better pitcher than Harang if it works out. If the Twins can't do that, they have a problem I can't solve.
    That's my thinking too. Scott Baker ain't a modern sliced bread equivalent. He's a kid that has a decent chance of being a decent pitcher. Why would the Reds accept less?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

This is what I want to hear. Someone will bite on Randa next week. As for Dunn, if they trade him, they are simply nuts.

4th in NL in HR
    3rd in NL in BB
    5th in NL in OPS
    4th in NL in Runs
    7th in NL in Slugging

I used to be one of the guys that said I would trade Dunn for a bunch of help in other areas, but trading him would be like St. Louis trading Albert Pujols. He should have a high price tag. I don't believe that anyone is not tradeable, but Dunn is about as close as it gets. Nieve and Buchholz wouldn't even get me started.

As for Pena, I haven't heard much about him being traded. I don't even know what the market for him would be. I think he is a good hitter and will only get better, but I would in no way put him in Adam Dunn territory. Griffey is tradable and if the Yankees don't get what they want before the end of next week, I think they will take a shot at him.
    Last edited by Jpup; 07-18-2005 at 11:51 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Incompetence that he's asking for Jeremy Sowers & another prospect for Randa. He may just price Randa right out of the trade market. And then we get nothing & EdE won't begin to get true MLB experience until next season.

Here's what Buster Olney had to say about Adam Dunn in his morning chat session:

Steezo (Ashtabula ,Oh)
    Your take on Sabathia for Dunn, shouldn't Cleveland get more?

BUSTER OLNEY
    Steezo: No way should Cleveland do a deal like this. And the other factor is that Sabathia, who just signed a long-term deal, could demand a trade and force his way out of Cincinnnati.

Buster Olney is an idiot.

Turn Off Ads?