Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jayson Starks Top 10 to watch as the trade deadline approaches

Re: Jayson Starks Top 10 to watch as the trade deadline approaches

I wonder how much DanO is costing himself watching the clock tick.

I personally think with a player like Randa, you are costing yourself by holding onto him.

Teams know that they only have him until the end of the year...so why hold him until July 31st, that's less time that a contending team has him. The shorter time they have him, the less they are likely to give up more for him. Do the damn deal already.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsandrails
    How about Dunn and Claussen for Halladay and Alexis Rios??
    nope.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Do the damn deal already.

Overpricing only works if other teams desperately want the player, I really don't see any team wanting Randa that bad, he's not an ace pitcher nor is he hitting home runs every night, he's having an above average year, but he's not killing the ball..most teams will hold onto prospects and hope for the best at 3rd base.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I wonder how much DanO is costing himself watching the clock tick.

I personally think with a player like Randa, you are costing yourself by holding onto him.
    Especially when you realize he played WAY OVER his head in the first half of the season.

However, we have no way of knowing what is being offered right now, teams may offer more if they get desperate as the dealine approaches. In the case of DanO and his tin ear, I can see him completely misjudging the market and getting either 1)stuck with Randa or 2)giving him away for almost nothing

I don't really see any good outcomes from this trading deadline(we didn't last year) other than possibly addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by OSURedLeg
    Incompetence that he's asking for Jeremy Sowers & another prospect for Randa. He may just price Randa right out of the trade market. And then we get nothing & EdE won't begin to get true MLB experience until next season.
    Does anyone besides me remember the deal that Tampa Bay made with the NYM last year. Everyone on this board would consider that laughable...DanO might just pull a Kazmir out of the hat because he is shooting for one.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

In the case of DanO, doing nothing or asking a really high price may be the best outcome for the future of the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Steve Phillips (moments ago on Dunn)

Steve, What are your thought on the Reds getting rid of Dunn? I have heard Indians and the Cubs.

Steve Phillips: (12:15 PM ET ) Adam Dunn is the most interesting consideration for the Reds. He will make close to $9 million through arbitration and the Reds can't afford him and Griffey with such a low overall payroll. Dunn would be interesting at the deadline and I suspect the Reds could bring back one ML ready starting pitcher, on nearly ready pitcher and possibly a position prospect. Teams in the race would have interest but also clubs who are not in the race because they can control his contract after this year and manipulate their roster to afford his salary. He would be a great fit for the Blue Jays who need power and like OBP. The Jays have about $160M to spend in '06-'07.

I also sent him a question I will let you know if he answers it.
    Why can't the Reds do this? Why is it an option only for other teams?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Why can't the Reds do this? Why is it an option only for other teams?
    that's just Steve Phillips being an ESPN guy. They all think that Cincy can't afford to win. That is just not the case. The Reds can afford him easily.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Starks, moments ago, on ESPN.com chat:

John (Houston): Do you see the Astros making any moves for a quality bat i.e. Adam Dunn or any pitching to help out the bullpen to make another late season push?

Jayson Stark: (1:22 PM ET ) The Astros could be an interesting team in the next two weeks. They still have some of the money Carlos Beltran wouldn't take, so they can add salary. And they're in the market for outfield and bullpen help. Adam Dunn is their No. 1 target, but the Reds are moving really slowly on this.

Everyone seems to think the Reds should give this guy away.

nope.

Really? You wouldn't make this deal? Halladay is a Cy Young winner and could win another one this year.

Pretty sure the Jays would never make this deal, but I would absolutely do it if I were the Reds. Dunn's a great player, but come on. You're talking about one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball right there.

Look at the guy's stats:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6134

He's the true definition of an ace. Put Halladay at the top of the Reds rotation for the next 5 years, and they'd be in pretty good shape.

Are we trying to win games here or not? Halladay is a 20 game winner who would singlehandedly upgrade the Reds pitching from "terrible" to "adequate." There is NO player more valuable in baseball than an ace starter. I realize it's a moot point because the Jays would never even think of offering this trade, but I would certainly accept it if offered.
    Last edited by riddelde; 07-18-2005 at 01:32 PM.

J.R. -- Grand Rapids MI: any chance Griffey ends up wearing pinstripes this summer?

Jayson Stark: (1:28 PM ET ) There's another rumor we can send off into the sunset. I've been told the Yankees are telling everyone they're not interested in taking on salary-dump players with uncertain health histories (i.e. Junior).

I would give Adam Dunn up in a heartbeat for Jeremy Bonderman. That kid is wicked sick. He's only, what? 22, and he's pitching scary good right now. He's going to be better than Halladay in a year or two.

He's the one that Beane is going to kick himself in the butt for trading.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by riddelde
    Really? You wouldn't make this deal? Halladay is a Cy Young winner and could win another one this year.

Pretty sure the Jays would never make this deal, but I would absolutely do it if I were the Reds. Dunn's a great player, but come on. You're talking about one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball right there.

Look at the guy's stats:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6134

He's the true definition of an ace. Put Halladay at the top of the Reds rotation for the next 5 years, and they'd be in pretty good shape.

Are we trying to win games here or not? Halladay is a 20 game winner who would singlehandedly upgrade the Reds pitching from "terrible" to "adequate." There is no player more valuable in baseball than an ace starter. I realize it's a moot point because the Jays would never even think of offering this trade, but I would certainly accept it if offered.
    Halladay has a broken leg. That kind of turned me off to the deal.

Halladay has a broken leg. That kind of turned me off to the deal.

Fair enough. Still, we're looking at a 4-6 week injury here not something career-threatening. If it were an arm injury, I'd be a little more concerned. There's no indication this injury will affect him down the road.

Either way, it's not gonna happen from the Jays side, so I guess it's not worth discussing.

I think Bondermann is gonna be a star too, but he's going nowhere.

Steve Phillips: (12:15 PM ET ) Adam Dunn is the most interesting consideration for the Reds. He will make close to $9 million through arbitration and the Reds can't afford him and Griffey with such a low overall payroll. Dunn would be interesting at the deadline and I suspect the Reds could bring back one ML ready starting pitcher, on nearly ready pitcher and possibly a position prospect. Teams in the race would have interest but also clubs who are not in the race because they can control his contract after this year and manipulate their roster to afford his salary. He would be a great fit for the Blue Jays who need power and like OBP. The Jays have about $160M to spend in '06-'07
    Am I just imagining it, or wasn't it just last week that Steve Phillips said that Dunn would make close to $ 7 million in arbitration. If so, why the bump-up in expected pay over the last week or so?

Turn Off Ads?