Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jayson Starks Top 10 to watch as the trade deadline approaches

Re: Jayson Starks Top 10 to watch as the trade deadline approaches

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Am I just imagining it, or wasn't it just last week that Steve Phillips said that Dunn would make close to $ 7 million in arbitration. If so, why the bump-up in expected pay over the last week or so?
    maybe JimBo called and straightened him out? Maybe he has been reading RedsZone?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OSURedLeg
    Other GMs annoyed with O'Brien's incompetence? I'm absolutely SHOCKED!
    where did it say that?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

I'd trade Dunn for Halliday or Bonderman. Let's face it, the Reds need quality starting pitchers. While the offense would miss Dunn's homers, the team still has a number of guys who can hit 30 dingers--but there is no one who can come close to winning 20 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Steve Phillips (moments ago on Dunn)

I suspect the Reds could bring back one ML ready starting pitcher, on nearly ready pitcher and possibly a position prospect.
    Billingsley, Broxton (or Tiffany) and Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba
    where did it say that?
    Right here:
    But despite all that talk of a bidding frenzy building around the eminently available Randa, clubs that have spoken with the Reds say he's been insanely overpriced.
    It may not state the exact sentiments of the other GMs, but if you have ever been in a negotiation of any sort, and experienced your opposition making unrealistic and ridiculous demands, you are far more likely to look for other options than meet such demands. In fact, it's likely you will pull the plug all-together with your negotiations. The fact that the writer termed O'Brien's demand for Randa "insanely overpriced" tells me that he will lose the patience & interest from other clubs because he's being ridiculous in his demands.

Right here:

It may not state the exact sentiments of the other GMs, but if you have ever been in a negotiation of any sort, and experienced your opposition making unrealistic and ridiculous demands, you are far more likely to look for other options than meet such demands. In fact, it's likely you will pull the plug all-together with your negotiations. The fact that the writer termed O'Brien's demand for Randa "insanely overpriced" tells me that he will lose the patience & interest from other clubs because he's being ridiculous in his demands.
    you have to remember that Jason Stark may be quoting himself. I don't care much for anonymous sources.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

J.R. -- Grand Rapids MI: any chance Griffey ends up wearing pinstripes this summer?

Jayson Stark: (1:28 PM ET ) There's another rumor we can send off into the sunset. I've been told the Yankees are telling everyone they're not interested in taking on salary-dump players with uncertain health histories (i.e. Junior).
    But, they are looking for fading pitchers without much stuff hoping that one of them might turn out to be lightning in a bottle (i.e. Al Leiter) or pitchers on their third team this season (Tim Redding). I'm still hoping that as they go down their options, one Eric Milton enters into their desperate attempts to put together a starting rotation.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    But, they are looking for fading pitchers without much stuff hoping that one of them might turn out to be lightning in a bottle (i.e. Al Leiter) or pitchers on their third team this season (Tim Redding). I'm still hoping that as they go down their options, one Eric Milton enters into their desperate attempts to put together a starting rotation.
    I still think the Yankees want him. Someone get the Boss on the phone and tell him Jr. is on fire.

He has been told that the Yankees are telling everyone....

What a joke.

you have to remember that Jason Stark may be quoting himself. I don't care much for anonymous sources.
    Very true. But would it surprise you all that much if it were true?

Very true. But would it surprise you all that much if it were true?
    no.

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    I'd trade Dunn for Halliday or Bonderman. Let's face it, the Reds need quality starting pitchers. While the offense would miss Dunn's homers, the team still has a number of guys who can hit 30 dingers--but there is no one who can come close to winning 20 games.
    Amen. Who cares if we put 10 on the board if our pitchers give up 11? It's telling that we're leading the NL in Homers and RBI's and are second in runs and SLG%, but have the second worst record in the league. You can't win with a power-filled lineup and no pitching, especially when the power comes in the Rob Deer form of home run or strikeout (which everyone knows we're leading the league in by a large margin). I'm praying for parity, and I'm praying we do it by trading Dunn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by FreelFanatic
    Amen. Who cares if we put 10 on the board if our pitchers give up 11? It's telling that we're leading the NL in Homers and RBI's and are second in runs and SLG%, but have the second worst record in the league. You can't win with a power-filled lineup and no pitching, especially when the power comes in the Rob Deer form of home run or strikeout (which everyone knows we're leading the league in by a large margin). I'm praying for parity, and I'm praying we do it by trading Dunn.
    Ah the elusive Rob Deer argument. How original.

I'm appalled by the lack of actual fact checking going on around here lately. Lot's of opinions with little ammunition to back them up.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I don't know how to copy code, but you can question my "fact checking ability" here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...sbn05team2.htm

All of those team statistics are true and current. And BTW, I was a Rob Deer fan, just not a fan of a lineup of Rob Deers. Or a lineup of Rob Deer, since Deer is the plural form of Deer.
    Last edited by FreelFanatic; 07-18-2005 at 04:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks
    I'm convinced Jay Bruce could homer every single time up the rest of the spring and cure cancer in his spare time and still not make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by FreelFanatic
    I don't know how to copy code, but you can question my "fact checking ability" here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...sbn05team2.htm

All of those team statistics are true and current. And BTW, I was a Rob Deer fan, just not a fan of a lineup of Rob Deers.
    and who is Rob Deer on the Reds and what is your actual statistical evidence for making such a comparison? (I give you a clue - there isn't any)
    School's out. What did you expect?

DanO is playing Randa right though his bluff has been called. He is trying to get a teams best pitching prospect but they aren't going for the bluff right now. At some point, DanO is going to have to take the lesser deal. Randa had a hot month and now is showing another "cool" period. Teams know this and won't give O'brien what he wants, which may drag Randa's time with the Reds out a little longer.

Turn Off Ads?