Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston players/mgmt question Dunn's work ethic

Houston players/mgmt question Dunn's work ethic

Houston Baseball writer Richard Justice in his blog.....

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/

July 15, 2005
    On Adam Dunn, Pittsburgh and Carole King...
    • Adam Dunn probably doesn't even remember the play, but inside the Astros' clubhouse and front office, it left a huge impression. It happened a few weeks ago when Dunn appeared to loaf on a play in which he could have thrown Brad Ausmus out on the bases.

Players and management alike mentioned it to me over the last couple of days. They're wondering if that single play doesn't signal a larger issue. They're wondering if he has come to accept the losing in Cincinnati, and if he'd be a good fit for the Astros.

"I'd say he'd make us a LITTLE better," one guy told me.

In the end, the more important issue probably is how the Reds have overvalued him and want too much to make a deal. But that play has stuck in a lot of minds, too.

They're wondering what it says about his work ethic, commitment, etc. For now, scratch Adam Dunn from the list of possible future Astros.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Houston players/mgmt question Dunn's work ethic

Quote Originally Posted by GARed
    Houston Baseball writer Richard Justice in his blog.....

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/

July 15, 2005
    On Adam Dunn, Pittsburgh and Carole King...
    • Adam Dunn probably doesn't even remember the play, but inside the Astros' clubhouse and front office, it left a huge impression. It happened a few weeks ago when Dunn appeared to loaf on a play in which he could have thrown Brad Ausmus out on the bases.

Players and management alike mentioned it to me over the last couple of days. They're wondering if that single play doesn't signal a larger issue. They're wondering if he has come to accept the losing in Cincinnati, and if he'd be a good fit for the Astros.

"I'd say he'd make us a LITTLE better," one guy told me.

In the end, the more important issue probably is how the Reds have overvalued him and want too much to make a deal. But that play has stuck in a lot of minds, too.

They're wondering what it says about his work ethic, commitment, etc. For now, scratch Adam Dunn from the list of possible future Astros.
    best news I've heard all day.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    best news I've heard all day.
    Houston and their smallball style doesn't need such a big K guy and a loafer like Dunn.

I hope everyone else thinks that too

Yes, plenty of teams who have had their mindset on winning/making the playoffs the last 5 years as opposed to just drawing fans would share that concern. The fan-friendly Dunn has been a great fit for this team's ownership/mgmt the last 5 years.

I hope Dunn hears this rumor too. Sometimes an ill word said about you by an outside party can cause you to listen in ways you wouldn't to those close to you. Whether Dunn has been loafing it or not, maybe this will be a little extra motivation for him. Can't hurt.

Looks like a team is developing its apologetic just in case Dunn gets traded and its not to the Astros that management has something to fall back on as to why.

It looks like another team that doesn't like it because the Reds might actually want good players in return instead of the chaff that teams are likely offering hoping that they can pull one over on the Reds.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

He either fails or he succeeds
    He gives his testimony
    Then he relaxes in the weeds
    He's got one trick to last a lifetime
    But that's all a pony needs

Houston has no chance at a playoff run, they have the worst offense in the league, have nothing of value to trade and have serious questions about the future with an aging team and little young talent in the bigs or in the minors. And this is a very down year in the NL. The only good teams are the Cards and Braves if they both can get healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Houston has no chance at a playoff run, they have the worst offense in the league, have nothing of value to trade and have serious questions about the future with an aging team and little young talent in the bigs or in the minors. And this is a very down year in the NL. The only good teams are the Cards and Braves if they both can get healthy.
    Dont count out Florida and San Diego yet. Washington is still in first place, but I don't think that will last long.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Looks like a team is developing its apologetic just in case Dunn gets traded and its not to the Astros that management has something to fall back on as to why.

It looks like another team that doesn't like it because the Reds might actually want good players in return instead of the chaff that teams are likely offering hoping that they can pull one over on the Reds.
    It also could be absolutely accurate. Regardless of how good a player anyone thinks Dunn is, there's a big difference between the few hundred thousand he made for a few years and his now one year 4.6 vs. a 9-10 million one year deal with idea that a long term contract is to follow. "Most" teams no doubt look at the whole package before they start forking out that money.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    It also could be absolutely accurate. Regardless of how good a player anyone thinks Dunn is, there's a big difference between the few hundred thousand he made for a few years and his now one year 4.6 vs. a 9-10 million one year deal with idea that a long term contract is to follow. "Most" teams no doubt look at the whole package before they start forking out that money.
    as long as he keeps producing, I am not concerned. He certainly plays hard when I watch him.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Another log for the arb-case fire.
    /r/reds

Whether or not he loafed on that play is debatable. Whether or not he has a poor work ethic is debatable. Regardless, work eithic can certainly be changed.

What is NOT debatable, is the calibre player he is. Work out a LTC and keep him.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Tomorrow the Astros will say Dunn wears boxers and they only want players who wear briefs, but if the Reds are willing to take less for him the Astros will consider taking Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?