Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: President Bush to announce new Supreme Court nominee tonight

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

President Bush to announce new Supreme Court nominee tonight

At 6PM Pacific Time tonight, the President will make a prime time address announcing the new nominee to the Supreme Court

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...Bush19-ON.html
    Bush to name court pick tonight

Associated Press
    Jul. 19, 2005 10:25 AM

WASHINGTON - President Bush has decided whom to nominate to succeed Sandra Day O'Connor on the Supreme Court and was poised to announce his pick in a prime-time Tuesday night address.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said the Bush administration was asking television outlets to broadcast the speech live. Bush's spokesman would not identify the president's choice. But there was intense speculation that it would be Judge Edith Clement of the U.S. Court of Appeals in New Orleans.

The televised speech was scheduled for 6 p.m. Arizona time.

The tension was palpable in the West Wing of the White House; after a day of intense speculation, McClellan walked into the press briefing room and said bluntly: "The president has made a decision and will be announcing his nominee to the Supreme Court at 9 o'clock." McClellan said the American people expected that the Senate confirmation process would be a dignified one.

Bush said he has considered candidates from all walks of life for the Supreme Court but refused to tip his hand on whom he will name.

He had said ever since O'Connor's July 1 announcement that he wanted to move with some speed and that he wanted the new justice to be seated before the court begins its fall term in October.

The dynamic might have changed a bit when Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist last week put out word that he had no intention of stepping down and that he would continue on the court despite his battle with thyroid cancer.

Bush, at a news conference Tuesday, would not even say if he had finished interviewing candidates. Though Washington was abuzz with speculation about Clement, the president ignored a question about what he thought of her.

"I guess the best way to say it is, I'll let you know when I'm ready to tell you who it is," the president said. He jokingly acknowledged that he was trying to dodge the question.

"I'm comfortable with where we are in the process," the president said. He said he has considered a variety of people from different walks of life, some of whom he knew before and some he had never met.

"I do have an obligation to think about people from different backgrounds that have shared the same philosophy, people who will not legislate from the bench," Bush said. He spoke at a press conference with visiting Australian Prime Minister John Howard.

At Clement's office in New Orleans, a man who identified himself as a law clerk said the judge was not available. "That's what I've been instructed to say," he told a caller who asked if she were in Washington.

Interest groups say another female candidate thought to be under consideration was Edith Hollan Jones, who also serves on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans.

There was no word from the White House on when Bush would disclose his selection, but officials familiar with the process said it appeared an announcement was imminent. White House press secretary Scott McClellan would say only: "The president is closer today than he was yesterday on naming a nominee."

Asked whether he expected an announcement, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., said Tuesday, "I don't know, but I don't think so."

In a sign that Bush was getting close to naming his pick, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., chairman of the Judiciary Committee, was called to the White House on Monday. Specter, who would lead the confirmation process in the Senate, has said he hopes Bush selects a moderate jurist.

In anticipation of a selection, officials said the White House had contacted selected Republican senators they hoped would serve as advocates for the nominee in media interviews in the initial time following an announcement. Democrats scoured the rulings and writings of leading contenders, including Clement, a 57-year-old jurist who was confirmed on a 99-0 vote by the Senate when she was elevated to the appeals court in 2001.

White House officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk publicly about the process, said Bush's timetable appears to have been accelerated and that a choice could come as early as Tuesday. They said Clement is a leading candidate, but cautioned that the president had not made a final decision and that there were other prospects still in the mix.

Any announcement would turn the spotlight in Washington toward the Supreme Court vacancy and away from news about Bush's top political adviser, Karl Rove, and the ongoing federal probe into who leaked the name of a CIA officer.

White House officials have refused to discuss the names of top prospects being considered as a replacement for the departing O'Connor, who was the first woman appointed to the court.

Other possible candidates are conservative federal appellate court judges Samuel Alito, J. Michael Luttig, Michael McConnell, John Roberts Jr., Emilio Garza and J. Harvie Wilkinson III; and former deputy attorney general Larry Thompson.

Other names thought to be under consideration were: Maura Corrigan, a judge on the Michigan Supreme Court; Cecilia M. Altonaga, a U.S. District Court judge for the Southern District of Florida; Mary Ann Glendon, a Harvard Law School professor; Karen Williams from the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Va.; Janice Rogers Brown, recently confirmed by the Senate for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; and Priscilla Owen, who was just confirmed for a seat on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: President Bush to announce new Supreme Court nominee tonight

Edith Clement Pro-Killing, Not Good for Supreme Court
    Tuesday, July 19, 2005 02:21:07 PM

Edith Clement is being touted as proper and clean for Supreme Court appointment. Not if the pro-lifers have anything to say and do about it. She has stated that the United States Constitution permits the right to have an abortion and that "the law is settled in that regard."

"The thought of Clement on the bench also has eased fears among abortion-rights advocates. She has stated that the Supreme Court, 'has clearly held that the right to privacy guaranteed by the Constitution includes the right to have an abortion' and that 'the law is settled in that regard.'" — Fox News, July 19, 2005

Nix on Clement.

Does further commentary need to be added for those knowing full well that abortion is outright murder? I don’t think so.

America does not support murdering human beings, except for the theologically and politically liberal womb baby killers who have made that their litmus test for admitting judges.

However, genuine Americans who are into a moral base do not agree with the liberals and so will work night and day to see to it that every pro-baby killing judge is dismounted. That of course accents those on the US Supreme Court.

God is watching America. God will weigh into America’s present-tense and future-tense.

For those aware of the wrath as well as the love of God, they will always align with the biblically revealed truth. God considers killing womb babies abhorrent according to the divine revelation. Therefore, to transgress against that baseline is to beg for the anger of the divine to settle upon one’s soul as well as one’s nation.

To stave off divine wrath against America, one must make America aware of every nomination to the Supreme Court especially. That includes providing the truth texts regarding Edith Clement.

FOOTNOTE:

THE BIBLE AND ABORTION

It is alarming to realize the nonchalance on the part of many concerning abortion. But it is not new. A popular newsmagazine quoted one medical opinion: "Abortion is finding its place as a perfectly acceptable and valid health measure. We no longer think of it as a crime."

There are those who say that every woman has a right to control her own body. That is true. Then, having control over her own body, she should not become pregnant if she does not want children. That is control! When she becomes pregnant, then she has lost her control over that situation.

But more importantly, only God has final rights to any person's body. He brought that body into life and someday will take that body out of life. In the meantime He provides the very sustaining power for the body's life to continue.

The Bible speaks of a fetus as a person, not simply tissue that can be discarded if found to be a bother or nuisance. Since the fetus is a person from the moment of conception, then the destroying of the fetus is killing a person. "In the past, some people have mistakenly speculated that perhaps the body might be in the process of formation for some time, and then 'God breathes a soul into it.' They had it backward. The life that is present forms matter into a body for itself' (Joseph Breig, "Life Forms Matter," The Catholic News, Jan. 24, 1974, p. 8).

"Your hands shaped me and made me. Will you now turn and destroy me? Remember that you molded me like clay. Will you now turn me to dust again? Did you not pour me out like milk ... and knit me together with bones and sinews? You gave me life and showed me kindness, and in your providence watched over my spirit" (Job 10:8-12 NIV).

"Before I was born the LORD called me; from my birth he has made mention of my name...and now the LORD says--he who formed me in the womb to be his servant..." (Isaiah 49:1, 5).

"The word of the LORD came to me, saying, ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations’" (Jeremiah 1:4-5).

In the following passages we note that personality is ascribed to the unborn.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that fully well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" (Psalm 139:13-16).

"Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him" (Psalm 127:3).

Exodus 21:22-25 relates how Israel was to judge a circumstance relating to the death of the unborn:

"If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman's husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, wound for wound, bruise for bruise."

All of the latter deals with unintentional hurt that comes to a pregnant woman; how much more will divine penalty come upon those who intentionally discard the fetus? The Gospel of Luke ascribes personality to the fetus within Elizabeth:

"When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit... As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy" (1:41, 44).

Mere tissue does not leap for joy; only personhood leaps for joy. The Bible regards the fetus as having personality. In Galatians, Paul speaks of himself as a person while still in his mother's womb, but more a person consecrated by God for a holy mission (compare Jeremiah 1:5 for the same accent):

"But when God, who set me apart from birth, and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles..." (Gal. 1: 15-16).

Since the Bible regards the fetus as personality, then the aborting of the fetus is murdering personality.

Some verses from Scripture dealing with murder are then appropriate for study, such as Genesis 9:6: "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man." Also, read Exodus 23:7: "Have nothing to do with a false charge, and do not put an innocent or honest person to death, for I will not acquit the guilty." Note I Peter 4:15: "If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer..."

"For all the talk of freedom and self-determination, the abortion movement is at its heart a movement denying rights to a silent segment of humanity and soliciting public sanction, support and subsidy to its own cause" (Donald P. Shoemaker, ABORTION, THE BIBLE AND THE CHRISTIAN, Hayes Publishing Co., 1976, p. iv).

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/...e.html?id=6992

The tension was palpable in the West Wing of the White House; after a day of intense speculation, McClellan walked into the press briefing room and said bluntly: "The president has made a decision and will be announcing his nominee to the Supreme Court at 9 o'clock."
    No white smoke? No "habeus judicium" (something like that) ? We need better traditions.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    No white smoke? No "habeus judicium" (something like that) ? We need better traditions.
    Can you imagine Congress and the President forced into a room, locked in and not allowed to leave until they solved some of our country's ills?

Oh to be a fly on that wall - with the amount of egos that would be present in one room.

Has anyone bothered to point out to THECONSERVATIVEVOICE that The Bible is not the foundation for the rule of law in this country? WOuld they even care if anyone did?

At 6PM Pacific Time tonight, the President will make a prime time address announcing the new nominee to the Supreme Court

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said the Bush administration was asking television outlets to broadcast the speech live. Bush's spokesman would not identify the president's choice. But there was intense speculation that it would be Judge Edith Clement of the U.S. Court of Appeals in New Orleans.

Interest groups say another female candidate thought to be under consideration was Edith Hollan Jones, who also serves on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans.
    Looks like the President wants his cake and Edith too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

"Bush to announce new Supreme Court nominee tonight"

translated: "Good lord, I need some good press."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

http://abcnews.go.com/

Source: Clement Not Bush's Choice for High Court

Source Tells ABC News Much-Discussed Potential Candidate Isn't the White House's Choice for Supreme Court

Jul. 19, 2005 - Judge Edith Clement -- perceived by many observers as a potential frontrunner for the Supreme Court seat vacated by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor -- is not President Bush's choice for the high court.

An informed source told ABC News they had spoken with Clement and said she received a phone call from the White House this afternoon. According to the source, Clement was thanked for meeting with the president and sharing her views on the Supreme Court, but that the administration has decided to go in a "different direction."

The White House said Bush will announce his selection tonight at 9 p.m. ET.

A U.S. Court of Appeals judge for the 5th Circuit, Clement was nominated to her current position by Bush and was confirmed by the Senate in November 2001.

Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

Breaking News

SOURCE TELLS ABC NEWS JUDGE EDITH CLEMENT IS NOT PRESIDENT BUSH'S CHOICE FOR SUPREME COURT
    Last edited by RBA; 07-19-2005 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    http://abcnews.go.com/

Source: Clement Not Bush's Choice for High Court

Source Tells ABC News Much-Discussed Potential Candidate Isn't the White House's Choice for Supreme Court

Jul. 19, 2005 - Judge Edith Clement -- perceived by many observers as a potential frontrunner for the Supreme Court seat vacated by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor -- is not President Bush's choice for the high court.

An informed source told ABC News they had spoken with Clement and said she received a phone call from the White House this afternoon. According to the source, Clement was thanked for meeting with the president and sharing her views on the Supreme Court, but that the administration has decided to go in a "different direction."

The White House said Bush will announce his selection tonight at 9 p.m. ET.

A U.S. Court of Appeals judge for the 5th Circuit, Clement was nominated to her current position by Bush and was confirmed by the Senate in November 2001.

Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

Breaking News

SOURCE TELLS ABC NEWS JUDGE EDITH CLEMENT IS NOT PRESIDENT BUSH'S CHOICE FOR SUPREME COURT
    You gotta believe Bush is fuming over this Rove stuff and plans to go "full-suplex" on his SC pick--my pick: Garza. Bush has got to pitch some red meat to the bible-thumpers.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Retired

I think it will be Edith Jones. We all know how reliable "sources" are sometimes, it wouldn't suprise me if Clement is the nominee.

I'm going with Jim Coombs.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Maybe he will just nominate Karl Rove and solve two problems at once?
    /r/reds

My prediction: The Hollywood Republican, Fred Thompson from Law and Order.

My guess is Edith Jones. If not her, I'll go with Garza.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I'm going with Jim Coombs.
    Too left.

Besides, Coombs is gonna run in 08.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 07-19-2005 at 07:33 PM.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?