Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

  1. #1
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Blatantly partisan, but oh well. Discuss.
    Succinct Summary of the Election


    The Democrats' mistake was in thinking that a disastrous war,
    national bankruptcy, erosion of liberties, corporate takeover of government,
    environmental destruction, squandering our economic and moral leadership in the world, and systematic Administration lying would be of concern to the electorate.

    The Republicans correctly saw that the chief concern of the
    electorate was to keep gay couples from having an abortion.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Administrator GIK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    4,056

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    I just think it's amazing we've gone from George Washington to George Bush.

  4. #3
    Member 919191's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    the corner bar
    Posts
    3,787

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Yeah, I kinda like that. How about my sig?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

  5. #4
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Heres my summary of the last election.



    And another summary-

    http://69.93.61.74/~newsfly/media/afterelection.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  6. #5
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Heres my summary of the last election.



    And another summary-

    http://69.93.61.74/~newsfly/media/afterelection.htm
    That map would be accurate if sheep could vote. Or did they?

  7. #6
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,622

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Heres my summary of the last election.



    And another summary-

    http://69.93.61.74/~newsfly/media/afterelection.htm
    Here's an interesting ying to your yang

    Here are the 2004 presidential election results on a population cartogram of this type:



    The cartogram was made using the diffusion method of Gastner and Newman. Population data were taken from the 2000 US Census.

    The cartogram reveals what we know already from the news: that the country was actually very evenly divided by the vote, rather than being dominated by one side or the other.

    The presidential election is not decided on the basis of the number of people who vote each way, however, but on the basis of the electoral college. Each state contributes a certain number of electors to the electoral college, who vote according to the majority in their state. The candidate receiving a majority of the votes in the electoral college wins the election. The electoral votes are apportioned roughly according to states' populations, as measured by the census, but with a small but deliberate bias in favor of smaller states.


    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/

  8. #7
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Oh yeah, forgot one more summary.

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  9. #8
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Well, of course WV's map is skewed, in the same way that flat maps of the globe make Greenland look HUGE.

    Sure, Bush got more votes than any other previous candidate in history. What frequently doesn't get mentioned is that the second-most votes ever for a candidate in history were received by--John Kerry.

    So any attempts to skew the '04 election as a stampede by Republicans is just...well, wrong.

  10. #9
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,062

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Republicans often think that the election is won by who has a larger land mass.

    The first think I thought was that the Democrats generally won where the people were at.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

  11. #10
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,464

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Heres my summary of the last election.



    And another summary-

    http://69.93.61.74/~newsfly/media/afterelection.htm
    That's a handy way of seeing where people actually live.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  12. #11
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,745

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    That's a handy way of seeing where people actually live.
    Or conversely, where I don't want to.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  13. #12
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Or conversely, where I don't want to.
    I hear Wichita is lovely this time of year.

  14. #13
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Or conversely, where I don't want to.
    San Diego, would be nice. But I can't afford that.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    1,065

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Here's an interesting ying to your yang

    Here are the 2004 presidential election results on a population cartogram of this type:



    The cartogram was made using the diffusion method of Gastner and Newman. Population data were taken from the 2000 US Census.

    The cartogram reveals what we know already from the news: that the country was actually very evenly divided by the vote, rather than being dominated by one side or the other.

    The presidential election is not decided on the basis of the number of people who vote each way, however, but on the basis of the electoral college. Each state contributes a certain number of electors to the electoral college, who vote according to the majority in their state. The candidate receiving a majority of the votes in the electoral college wins the election. The electoral votes are apportioned roughly according to states' populations, as measured by the census, but with a small but deliberate bias in favor of smaller states.


    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/
    That map's pretty lame.

  16. #15
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,464

    Re: A Succinct Summary of the Last Election

    Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice
    That map's pretty lame.
    Only if you dislike accuracy.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25