Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is your problem with conservatism/liberalism?

Why is your problem with conservatism/liberalism?

Several of the people that post politically have very polarized views. I am interested in hearing why you detest conservatives/Republicans or liberals/Democrats. I don't want this to turn into a debate. If RF or Dom explaiin their disdain for the GOP, let them Don't debate it their opinion is valid. And if 1966 or GAC explains their dislike of the Democrats, don't argue- simply accept their opinion.

I generally hate big government. I want it off my back. If I can't figure out a way to take care of myself, I don't think I should count on the government to feed me. I am pretty much a libertarian. I dislike the Republicans probably now more that the Democrats, I guess.

I do see the liberal side, however. As I age, I see that noone should be hungry. Everyone should have heat in the winter. I don't like the idea of the government taking care of people's lives, but aren't we affluent enough to help the truly needy? I guess I grow soft in my middle age.

I am really interested in Evan Bayh if he throws his hat in the ring opposing Hilary.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why is your problem with conservatism/liberalism?

I fear that this thread--while well intentioned--has the potential of.....

True- that's why I simply asked for opinions and not debate. This isn't to prove anyone wrong.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

My problem is that the conservatives are too conservative and the liberals are too liberal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I argue against opposing worldviews, not individuals. At least that's the intent, not to make it personal. It is not always accomplished for various reasons, but it is the goal, and I hope I am always quick to apologize when I slip and let it get personal.

Why? I want people to think about why they believe something. Not what they were indoctrinated with growing up, but what they have come to believe through thinking about their worldview. When I take part in these discussions, I want to make sure that the person is stating a particular viewpoint because they have thought about that issue, researched both sides, considered different views than their own, etc. before coming to the conclusions that they have. Even though I know many have made their minds up about certain issues, some have thought through them, some haven't, I always write as if there is always going to be at least one person reading who is interested in looking at different points of view and is open minded enough to consider that they may have some erroneous convictions.

For example, with an issue like abortion, I want people to really think about why they think it should be legal or why they do not think it should be legal. I may not agree with their conclusion, but there are arguments that I have sorted through myself and struggled with, rather than giving knee-jerk responses because I'm a "right wing conservative fundamentalist born again Christian" or because another poster is a "left wing bleeding heart liberal." I will respect anyone who demonstrates that they have thought through their beliefs, even though they have arrived at different conclusions than myself about the way the world works or should work.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Well, OK...it's basically a "why I believe the way I do" type of thing.

I'll make a promise not to respond to other's posts if mine are excluded from debate as well.

I exist on the liberal/left side of the political spectrum because I believe, in general and within certain limitations, people have a right to exist and make choices as they so choose, and that we (society in general) have an inherent duty to protect and help those who are powerless or in need of assistance.

In a more specific sense, I lean "left" because I have an inherent distrust of big business and unfettered free market capitalism. I believe religion has no place in the government of our society, and don't believe that the president is tasked with doing "God's will". I don't believe in wars that are fought for anything other than truly humanitarian reasons. I believe that all people deserve a *true* opportunity to better their lives, through education, employment, and other means--and DON'T believe that everyone is capable of "picking themselves up by their bootstraps" and doing it alone. I believe that consenting adults should be able to choose whom they wish to marry, and whether or not to proceed with a pregnancy. I believe our country should truly become the nation that it espouses on the international stage--thoughtful, helpful, unselfish and free--and not the nation that it currently is. I believe in being international stewards, and to assimilate, rather than exist outside of, the international community.

When I was younger and far less enlightened, I subscribed to the beliefs of Rush Limbaugh, Newt Gingrich and other conservative Republican idealogues. However, over time I became aware of a world that existed beyond my own--a world not of black and white, but of multiple shades of gray that suggested--nay, demanded--a more thoughtful, enlightened approach to the issues I once held as absolute. And once I arrived at that conclusion, I could no longer align myself with the conservative movement, which seemed (and seems) to aspire to the opposite of what I envisioned.

I have little use for Republicans or Democrats, I am decidedly Libertarian. I voted for Bush for one reason and one reason alone. Now let's see if he and the Republicans can get it right. BTW, it has nothing to do with Roe vs Wade. I simply want justices who will not get involved in legislating from the bench.

Our republic is quickly devolving into an oligarchy.

Even though I'm a "liberal," I don't believe in raising taxes or providing more welfare or many of the stereotypical ideals that conservatives *think* all democrats believe in.

I don't believe in tax breaks for the rich. The rich reap the most benefit from our system of capitalism, and they can afford to bear most of the tax burden.

I believe that a huge portion of our tax money should be spent on providing better public education. That would provide a strong base for building infrastructure, and we would all reap the benefits from it. Privatizing education would only create more of a rift between the pooly-educated and the well-educated.

I believe in small government, though. And whether they know it or not, Republicans *do* support big government.

I support a government that doesn't try to legislate morality, or infringe on the rights of states or the Constitutional rights of individuals. I don't want time being wasted or my tax dollars being spent deciding whether or not abortion should be legal or whether or not I can burn the flag. The government should be small enough that it doesn't try to make all my choices for me. Republicans seem to have no problem letting the government take away choices like this.

I don't believe in letting all my tax dollars go to big business or to bloated military spending. I do believe in supporting big business and keeping the military strong, but I don't want to let big business get away with murder, and I don't want to spend billions of dollars attacking nations who aren't a threat.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    I simply want justices who will not get involved in legislating from the bench.
    I suggest you go back and read Bush v Gore. This idea that conservative judges don't legislate from the bench or believe in federalism is simply not the case. They will do whatever is convenient to advance their political agenda. And the decision in Bush v Gore is a perfect example of this.

some herrings are red

Even though I'm a "liberal," I don't believe in raising taxes or providing more welfare or many of the stereotypical ideals that conservatives *think* all democrats believe in.

I don't believe in tax breaks for the rich. The rich reap the most benefit from our system of capitalism, and they can afford to bear most of the tax burden.

I believe that a huge portion of our tax money should be spent on providing better public education. That would provide a strong base for building infrastructure, and we would all reap the benefits from it. Privatizing education would only create more of a rift between the pooly-educated and the well-educated.

I believe in small government, though. And whether they know it or not, Republicans *do* support big government.

I support a government that doesn't try to legislate morality, or infringe on the rights of states or the Constitutional rights of individuals. I don't want time being wasted or my tax dollars being spent deciding whether or not abortion should be legal or whether or not I can burn the flag. The government should be small enough that it doesn't try to make all my choices for me. Republicans seem to have no problem letting the government take away choices like this.

I don't believe in letting all my tax dollars go to big business or to bloated military spending. I do believe in supporting big business and keeping the military strong, but I don't want to let big business get away with murder, and I don't want to spend billions of dollars attacking nations who aren't a threat.

Excellent post and I agree with all of it actually, pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

I'm for a smaller government. I believe that our military is far too large, and that the money from all the new jets and aircraft carriers that we're constantly building could be going to something a little more useful, like education or health care. I believe the only reason the military has grown the way it has is because no politician wants to look "soft" on defense, so the military is given free reign to do what they please.

I believe that education spending should be equal. I grew up in Highland County, Ohio and attended a school district that hadn't built a new building since the early 60's. I now live in Columbus and can't help but notice the campuses of schools like Pickerington Central, Central Crossing, New Albany, etc. schools that are absolute palaces compared to what I was used to growing up. This is despite the Ohio Supreme Court ruling that the way we fund schools in Ohio is unconstitutional. Despite that ruling the Republican led government has done nothing to reform things.

I believe in health care for everyone. I don't see it as the first step towards communism, I see it as a universal human right. Far too many people in this country are uninsured, and far too many people in this country are forced into bankruptcy by mountains of medical bills.

I believe in Social Security. I think that taking care of our elderly is the right thing to do, and I believe that Social Security is one of the most successful government run programs in history. I also believe that we shouldn't be gambling with the rent money, which is what we'd be doing by implementing privatization.

I don't believe America should ever be fighting offensive wars. I think we should only fight if we are attacked. Which means that Afghanistan was a good idea, Iraq a very very bad idea.

I believe that corporations are inherently evil. Their objective is to make as much money as possible for their ownership, regardless of the harm this might bring to other people through the form of low wages, subpar working conditions, etc. I believe in government oversight of big business. I don't believe in subsidizing business, whether it's to compete in America or overseas. If they can't do it on their own then they deserve to die off. Capitalism is tough that way. I especially don't believe in corporate CEO's making 800 times their lowest paid workers salary or whatever the going rate is these days.

I believe in a woman's right to do what she pleases with her body.

I believe that we need to treat our environment well.

I believe we need a more intelligent energy policy. Hydrogen doesn't really seem to be the answer. Neither is invading oil rich countries in the Middle East. The oil's going to run out and we're going to be in for some rough times if we don't get better leadership on this issue.

Mostly I think I'm a Democrat because I see those shades of gray that register was talking about. I don't follow politics like it's a sporting event, like so many people on both sides do. I know that it affects people's lives in very real and immediate ways, and I believe the political process has the power to change people's lives for the better. I want people's lives to be changed for the better.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many things, but this'll do for now.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I believe that I will be leaving this thread now.

I believe in health care for everyone. I don't see it as the first step towards communism, I see it as a universal human right. Far too many people in this country are uninsured, and far too many people in this country are forced into bankruptcy by mountains of medical bills.
    I dont believe its the governments fault that not everyone has healthcare. Everyone in the country has the abilty to graduate High School, and get a higher education. Some people choose not to. If you graduate college of get some higher training, you will get a job with benefits. It will happen. If peolple choose not to you cant blame the government.

I believe in Social Security. I think that taking care of our elderly is the right thing to do, and I believe that Social Security is one of the most successful government run programs in history. I also believe that we shouldn't be gambling with the rent money, which is what we'd be doing by implementing privatization
    Nothing against you Redsfaithful but this is my main problem with Liberals.

Social Security needs to be changed. Privitization is a good thing. Its not the government's fault if a person blows it, or doesnt manage it well.

I believe in a woman's right to do what she pleases with her body
    agreed, but she should have no right to end a life.

Again Redsfaithful, nothing personal, but I am using you beliefs to state mine. Now lets talk some baseball.

Again Redsfaithful, nothing personal, but I am using you beliefs to state mine.
    I understand, no offense taken. You're a Bengals fan so I can't get too mad anyway.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?