Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why is your problem with conservatism/liberalism?

Re: Why is your problem with conservatism/liberalism?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    My philosophy is simple too, I don't like the extreme end of either party. At all.

I actually consider myself a libertarian which I'm sure among some would make me a defacto member of one of the two main parties.
    I thought Tailgunner Joe (the first of the great rightwing chichen hawks) got rid of the extreme left over 50 years ago. Who do you consider extreme on the left? Ted Kennedy?- he's as much of a capitalist as you are. Al Sharpton? He's a cartoon. There is no extreme left in this country. But there is an extreme right, and they are running things.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    I thought Tailgunner Joe (the first of the great rightwing chichen hawks) got rid of the extreme left over 50 years ago. Who do you consider extreme on the left? Ted Kennedy?- he's as much of a capitalist as you are. Al Sharpton? He's a cartoon. There is no extreme left in this country. But there is an extreme right, and they are running things.
    I'd give you rep for that post, but the man's keeping me down.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis

Although I'm guessing Chomsky's libertarianism and yours would be substantially different.
    Of this I am quite certain...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    There is no extreme left in this country. But there is an extreme right
    Sigh...Exhibit A of why I am trying to wean myself from these political threads.
    Last edited by Jaycint; 07-20-2005 at 07:34 PM.

Can I ask you, Jaycint, whom you consider extreme left? (And please, please, please don't say Al Franken--I mean REALLY left).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Can I ask you, Jaycint, whom you consider extreme left? (And please, please, please don't say Al Franken--I mean REALLY left).
    Well first to clarify, by extreme left I don't mean they want to impose communism on our country. I mean extreme in making ridiculous comments and slinging mud. I would put any politician that compares our government to Nazi Germany and the murder of millions of Jews in that category so Senator Dick Durbin gets the nod. Charlie Rangel gets the nod. While he's not a politician Michael Moore gets the nod, not for Nazi comparisons but for his entire body of work. Ted Rall gets the award for extreme leftist of the year. He is Ann Coulter with male parts.

While you, I and Reg will NEVER agree on Al Franken I will keep him off my list so as to help keep your blood pressure within reason.

Just to show you I am an equal opportunity political assassin here is alist of extreme right peeps:

George Bush
    Karl Rove
    Rush Limbaugh
    Sean Hannity
    Ann Coulter
    Bill Frist

I suppose you can counter and tell me how the guys I listed really aren't extreme left but it really isn't going to change my opinion of them nor would it if one of our resident Cons got on and told me George Bush wasn't extreme.

I thought this thread wasn't really supposed to be for argument anyway? Just to state your political beliefs. I didn't attack anybody at all in my original post, simply said that I consider myself Libertarian and I don't like extremists on either side.

Well first to clarify, by extreme left I don't mean they want to impose communism on our country. I mean extreme in making ridiculous comments and slinging mud. I would put any politician that compares our government to Nazi Germany and the murder of millions of Jews in that category so Senator Dick Durbin gets the nod. Charlie Rangel gets the nod. While he's not a politician Michael Moore gets the nod, not for Nazi comparisons but for his entire body of work. Ted Rall gets the award for extreme leftist of the year. He is Ann Coulter with male parts.

While you, I and Reg will NEVER agree on Al Franken I will keep him off my list so as to help keep your blood pressure within reason.

Just to show you I am an equal opportunity political assassin here is alist of extreme right peeps:

George Bush
    Karl Rove
    Rush Limbaugh
    Sean Hannity
    Ann Coulter
    Bill Frist

I suppose you can counter and tell me how the guys I listed really aren't extreme left but it really isn't going to change my opinion of them nor would it if one of our resident Cons got on and told me George Bush wasn't extreme.

I thought this thread wasn't really supposed to be for argument anyway? Just to state your political beliefs. I didn't attack anybody at all in my original post, simply said that I consider myself Libertarian and I don't like extremists on either side.
    I merely asked a question. I'm not arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I merely asked a question. I'm not arguing.
    Well surely being the wordsmith that you are (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I mean it respectfully) you can see that the way in which you phrased the question may have come across as implying that I couldn't possibly find an extreme leftist.

And I meant argument as in debate, not as in people screaming at each other.

Well surely being the wordsmith that you are (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I mean it respectfully) you can see that the way in which you phrased the question may have come across as implying that I couldn't possibly find an extreme leftist.

And I meant argument as in debate, not as in people screaming at each other.
    It was an honest question.

I'm a democrat in philosophy, I registered as a Republican at 18 to piss off my parents, and I really dislike many things about both parties. Each tries to paint the other as out to ruin America rather than looking at a topic and deciding if the opposing parties opinion or proposed law is good or bad based on merit. I never vote party lines, I vote for the person who I feel best represents my beliefs, no matter party affiliation.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Just because they're loud doesn't mean they're "extreme" to my mind.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Here in D.C. they spend more per student than any school district in the U.S., yet the state of D.C. public education is terrible.
    Yes, they spend more per student, but isn't that more to do with the high cost of living - teachers make more, but it doesn't go any further than a much lesser amount would here in Florida-than the government providing more money to education?

I know a girl who makes $23 working at Home Depot in Los Angeles, but it doesn't get her any more than what $8 or $9 per hour does here in Tampa.

I have seen people use D.C. as an example of how throwing more money at education doesn't make it better, but I always felt the argument did not take into account the cost of living for the city. My friend tells me that the teachers in DC make more money than in any other city and they aren't any better, yet so do the lawyers in DC, and that doesn't mean they are any better than what you would find in Cincy.

The cost of living in a city has lots to do with the wages workers are paid, regardless of the profession.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts as I honestly have no clue on this.

Charlie Rangel gets the nod.
    I'm surprised you would take consider Rangle an extremist. I've always considered him a typical liberal democrat: very pro union, very pro working class.
    A war hero . To me, hes the same as Dick Gephardt, if Gephhart was black and representing Harlem.

Granted, Charlie takes no guff from anyone, and is vocal about it. But what position has he ever taken that you consider extreme?
    Last edited by Mutaman; 07-20-2005 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo

If everyone got their crap together and graduated from an Ivy League school, what do you think the value of an Ivy League education would be? How much would an Ivy Leaguer make if there were 275 million of them?
    I never said everyone could go to an Ivy League school. I simply said EVERY person in the country has the ability to graduate High School and get some form of higher education. If your gonna argue, get my point right.

And somebody's gotta flip burgers, pick lettuce and drive trucks. Should those people be paupers?
    They still have the ability to buy heathcare. People are going to spend their money however they choose. If they dont purchase healthcare, how is that the governments fault. (dont give me the they cant afford it excuse. EVERY one in the country can get healthcare. If you cant afford it now, go to college. Anyone can get Financial aid for school.)

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    I never said everyone could go to an Ivy League school. I simply said EVERY person in the country has the ability to graduate High School and get some form of higher education. If your gonna argue, get my point right.

They still have the ability to buy heathcare. People are going to spend their money however they choose. If they dont purchase healthcare, how is that the governments fault. (dont give me the they cant afford it excuse. EVERY one in the country can get healthcare. If you cant afford it now, go to college. Anyone can get Financial aid for school.)
    What part of "they can't afford it" don't you understand?

Turn Off Ads?