Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And THAT is what Dunn needs to learn

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

And THAT is what Dunn needs to learn

I'm a huge Dunn fan and love his overall game -- but the man needs to learn some situational hitting; with 1 out, 2 strikes, bases loaded, and Aurilia up behind you, you have to protect the plate. I swear, Dunn will never drive in 100 runs until he puts the bat on the ball on a regular basis. If the count was full, I could understand taking that pitch as a ball drives in a run, but that was ridiculous. ARRGH!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: And THAT is what Dunn needs to learn

Agreed
    Go BLUE!!!

um, dunn drove in 102 runs last year.

But I agree that he needs to learn to protect the plate better with 2 strikes.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

He drove in 102 last year...agree with you though about situational hitting
    We'll win it all next year...

beat me to it pedro
    We'll win it all next year...

I was inferring on a regular basis -- shame on me for not knowing the numbers -- point still stands. With 45 bombs or whatever he hit, he should be driving in 115-120, not 102 -- especially if Narron insists on batting him lower in the order.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    um, dunn drove in 102 runs last year.

But I agree that he needs to learn to protect the plate better with 2 strikes.
    What pedro said.

And he'd drive in over 100 runs every season if the Reds hit him 3-5 in the lineup without making ANY adjustments. Hitting #6 it becomes a dicey proposition.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I was inferring on a regular basis -- shame on me for not knowing the numbers -- point still stands. With 45 bombs or whatever he hit, he should be driving in 115-120, not 102 -- especially if Narron insists on batting him lower in the order.
    Well, the lower in the order doesn't really fly. He doesn't have as many RBI opportunities in the 6 hole as he would if he were batting 3-5.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

No, but when he does have those opportunities, he needs to take them -- because the guys hitting behind him are a heck of a lot less likely to drive HIM in should he walk.

The whole problem I have with Dunn hitting 6th is not so much that he has less RBI opportunities (because he has plenty with the quality of hitters ahead of him), rather it is the pitches he sees with the hitters that follow him. Without a hitter like Griffey behind him, pitchers are much more inclined to give him nothing to hit because if they walk him, there's no one behind him that is going to do damage with runners on base. This wouldn't be nearly as large of a problem, if Wily Mo would not be struggling. But I think Wily is struggling partly because he, like Dunn, isn't getting much to hit because the pitchers aren't afraid of going after Larue. It will be nice to see a revamped Austin Kearns to keep the pitching honest, and I think it would be beneficial to see Dunn hitting ahead of Kearns so the pitchers have to give him something to hit.

No, but when he does have those opportunities, he needs to take them -- because the guys hitting behind him are a heck of a lot less likely to drive HIM in should he walk.
    well that's the managers fault for batting him so low, not dunn's for having good plate judgement. regardless, as I said before I would like him to try and become a better 2 strike hitter.

Adam Dunn walked into today's game 15th in the NL in RBIs. Every single guy in front of him hits in a prime spot in the batting order. So Dunn's producing more RBIs than the cleanup hitters on some teams and no lower lineup hitter in the NL has more RBIs than he does. If he isn't making the most of his lower lineup opportunities then that animal doesn't exist.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Because Dunn is the only one who had a non-productive AB today.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

agreed and he really heard about it at the game....rough day for our dunn

I'm not sure where to look exactly, but I'd be interested to see what percentage of RISP Dunn has driven in and what percentage of Runners on base he's driven in.

A quick look says that he's 7th in SLG% (.556) and 15th in RBI. He's tied for 15th with Pedro Feliz (.449) and Adam LaRoche (.487). The Reds have the 4th highest team OBP% in the NL, while SF and Atlanta have the 9th and 13th respectively, so I'm gonna guess that Dunn hitting lower in our order is about the same as those guys hitting in the heart of theirs in terms of RBI opportunity. Given his SLG%, why has he not converted more?

If I have some time later, I'll come back and dig up these conversion rates.

But the real point of the thread is the lack of situational hitting. I don't mind the high K totals and definitely see the value in walks (I've argued this point in fact). However, in the situaiton he was in today (only 2 balls, Aurilia behind him, bases loaded, 1 out, down a single run) he cannot be looking at a 3rd strike.

Obviously it didn't matter in the whole scheme of things today. I still think Dunn is an offensive force. But instead of saying he needs to cut down on his K's, I'm just trying to make the point that he needs better situational awareness. It's his thinking in that situation that bugs me.

Turn Off Ads?