Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies you always wanted to see that dissapoint

Movies you always wanted to see that dissapoint

Right or wrong, I've always thought Cannonball Run was supposed to be a funny movie. Not comedy genious or anything but at least amusing.

So when I saw it for $5 at Wall-Mart I picked it up. I got all snuggled up under the blankie with some pop-corn and my dog and prepared to be amused.

Wow. That movie sucked. I turned if off about 1/2 way through.

Quibble over whether Cannonball Run was supposed to be funny, but in my mind at least, it was a movie that was always on my "I gotta watch that sometime" list and turned out to be a total dissapointment.

Got any other movies that you finally got to watch only to be horrably dissapointed?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-07-2008 at 05:31 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Classic movies that dissapoint

The Shining. Slow, not nearly as spooky as the book (though the twins in the hallway were cool), and Jack being Jack.

Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Right or wrong, I've always thought Cannonball Run was supposed to be a funny movie. Not comedy genious or anything but at least amusing.

So when I saw it for $5 at Wall-Mart I picked it up. I got all snuggled up under the blankie with some pop-corn and my dog and prepared to be amused.

Quibble over whether Cannonball Run was supposed to be funny, but in my mind at least, it was a movie that was always on my "I gotta watch that sometime" list and turned out to be a total dissapointment.

Got any other movies that you finally got to watch only to be horrably dissapointed?
    If you didn't watch that one when you were 12-14 years old, it's probably not going to be funny for you. It's one of those films that just doesn't age well. It was also made in an age when people got great pleasure out of watching handsome everymen in fast cars getting one over on the "Smokeys," before everyone became concerned about crazy people leading cops on high-speed chases and endangering the public.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'm sure The Graduate was a big deal when it came out but I finally saw it for the first time recently and it bored me to tears.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I agree - Cannonball Run is freaking horrible. It is like one giant drinking party.

While Birth of a Nation introduced many cinematic firsts, the film itself is one of the most blatantly racist films ever made - and a pure embarrassment to watch.

I actually find quite a bit of Gone With The Wind to drag on.

The Titanic could not sink fast enough for me.

Striptease, Enuff said!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

East of Eden and Giant - James Dean... YAWN...

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If you didn't watch that one when you were 12-14 years old, it's probably not going to be funny for you. It's one of those films that just doesn't age well. It was also made in an age when people got great pleasure out of watching handsome everymen in fast cars getting one over on the "Smokeys," before everyone became concerned about crazy people leading cops on high-speed chases and endangering the public.
    Doesn't age well is right.

I found Smokey and The Bandit to be pretty funny and still do (good god, can't believe I just posted that) and it was generally the same movie. Of corse, Gleason killed in it and Reynolds "sly guy" act was a bit newer and fresher. It's a bit more kitch, if you will which gives it some sort of weird charm.

CBR just struck me as some movie excs trying to cash in on S&B and figuring if they just dropped enough stars into the project it would kill. I never did figure out the Roger Moore thing. Was he Seymour Goldfarb, Jr pretending to be Moore. Or was it really supposed to be Roger Moore. In the end, I just didn't care.

Cannonball run was just an excuse to wear jumpsuits and do coke.

I thought "Easy Rider" was horrible.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

I thought "Easy Rider" was horrible.
    Me too. Another total bore.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Re: Movies you always wanted to see that dissapoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

First off, if Wal Mart was selling it for $5, that should have tipped you off. There actually was a Cannonball II movie made that is considered to be even worse. I saw them both a long time back and I thought they were pretty good. I bought them both years later at Wal Mart for about the same price you paid and they sat in my house for 7 years and I never watched them once.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Being in Journey was just an excuse to wear jumpsuits and do coke.
    I fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    First off, if Wal Mart was selling it for $5, that should have tipped you off.
    WM has a bunch of movies on the cheap. Terminator 2 was on sale for $5. Does that mean it sucks too?

I think their price levels for movies is something like $5, $7.50 and $13.50 and then you get into the new releases and whatnot.

There's plenty of good movies in the "cheep" section.

I heard a lot of hype about Donnie Darko -- the great twisted classic that was overlooked because of Sept 11th. Meh. It felt like the work of film student who mashed a bunch of movie ideas together.

I felt the same about Leaving Las Vegas and Rushmore. I've never bothered with any other Wes Anderson movies. I leave "cool' to the kiddies, I want a good flick.

Most any movie with Adam Sandler or Chris Farley in it. For that matter, any movie with a SNL cast member from the last 10 years.

They do great at the box office, lots of people say its great, I go and I never laugh. Even once. *Never* laugh. Gratuitous stupidity.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?