Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Congress Moves To Add Four Weeks To Daylight Savings Time

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Congress Moves To Add Four Weeks To Daylight Savings Time

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Pshaww..... 4:15 is more like it.

Good time to drink.
    It has to get dark early in the winter, Dude's got to play pool and bowl sometime.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    To you and Cliff Claven...
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Lawmakers move to extend daylight-saving time

From the really real important legislation department.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/....ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An agreement was reached Thursday to extend daylight-saving time in an effort to conserve energy, but not to the extent the House approved in April.

House and Senate negotiators on an energy bill agreed to begin daylight-saving time three weeks earlier, on the second Sunday in March, and extend it by one week to the first Sunday in November. The House bill would have added a month in the spring and another in the fall.

According to some senators, farmers complained that a two-month extension could adversely affect livestock, and airline officials said it would have complicated scheduling of international flights.

"We ought to take a hard look at this before we jump into it," said Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, who questioned how much oil savings the extension would produce.

Reps. Edward Markey, D-Massachusetts, and Fred Upton, R-Michigan, agreed to scale back their original proposal, and Senate negotiators accepted the new version, along with a call for a study on how much daylight-saving time actually affects oil consumption.

"The beauty of daylight-saving time is that it just makes everyone feel sunnier," said Markey.

Upton noted that the extension means daylight-saving time will continue through Halloween, adding to safety. "Kids across the nation will soon rejoice," said Upton, because they'll have another hour of daylight trick-or-treating.

Lawmakers said they hoped to complete the energy legislation next week.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Lawmakers move to extend daylight-saving time

A little change now. A little more change later, hopefully. It's OK by me. I like having more daylight in the evening.
    /r/reds

"We ought to take a hard look at this before we jump into it," said Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, who questioned how much oil savings the extension would produce.
    Hey, an extra hour of being home in the daylight is going to cost a lot more for families in the desert southwest. Everyone will be home an hour earlier, they will use more energy cooling their homes. That's not good for me.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I really wish we'd do away with it all together.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

When I lived there, Arizona didn't go a DST at all. Who wants an extra hour of daylight in the summer when temps are 100+? I liked it that way.

Here, it doesn't make as much difference whether the sun is up or not. Doesn't really "cool off" til after 10 anyway.

Personally, the only problem I see waking up in the morning. I have trouble waking up much before sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    It was dark when I left for work and dark when I got off. And I worked in a windowless archive.
    That's how it is for me now. Sometimes in the winter I go more than a week without seeing the sun.

Explains a lot, doesn't it.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    According to some senators, farmers complained that a two-month extension could adversely affect livestock, .
    Those cows sure get cranky when you mess with their clocks.
    How is the livestock going to even notice the difference?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Those cows sure get cranky when you mess with their clocks.
    How is the livestock going to even notice the difference?
    So RR is a city boy.

It's amazing how animals get this internal clock thing going. My grandfathers cows would all start walking towards the barn about 1/2 hour before milking time. They just knew.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    So RR is a city boy.

It's amazing how animals get this internal clock thing going. My grandfathers cows would all start walking towards the barn about 1/2 hour before milking time. They just knew.
    Yep. One of the many jobs I have had along the way was working on my neighbors dairy farm. If you were running a little late the cows would be outside ready to get started and Mooing at you to get your butt in gear. Stupid cows.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    When I lived there, Arizona didn't go a DST at all. Who wants an extra hour of daylight in the summer when temps are 100+? I liked it that way.

Here, it doesn't make as much difference whether the sun is up or not. Doesn't really "cool off" til after 10 anyway.

Personally, the only problem I see waking up in the morning. I have trouble waking up much before sunrise.
    I don't know if it is still as confusing today, but at one time during the late 1980's, the city of Indianapolis voted against implementation of DST...yet, the balance of the state switched their clocks twice per year.

Every time I would drive through that town, I couldn't help but think of the fifth dentist on that Trident commercial...
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Reading a trade rag today, one fallout from this will be a mini-Y2K exercise in the software world.

Much software has standard time/daylight time adjustments in it and those will all have to be examined and possibly modified. In my neck of the woods, Y2K was much-ado about nothing.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I don't know if it is still as confusing today, but at one time during the late 1980's, the city of Indianapolis voted against implementation of DST...yet, the balance of the state switched their clocks twice per year.

Every time I would drive through that town, I couldn't help but think of the fifth dentist on that Trident commercial...
    The state currently does not observe DST. Officially. However, there are counties in the Southeast and Northwest that stay with the nearest major Metro areas, Cincinnati and Chicago.

In 2004, by a narrow vote the General Assembly voted to move to DST. However, there is still debate about whether the state would go to Eastern (the current situation) or with Central. Evidently, the state has to present this to the Federal Gov't, whichever agency regulates the timezones.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Daylight Savings time doesn't work

In honor of the change this weekend, here's an article saying it costs more than it saves.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/83073
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?