Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best musicians in rock history

Best musicians in rock history

Doesn't matter if they're overrated or underrated, famous or infamous.

What bands were the best musicians in rock history?

My vote...

Yes and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best musicians in rock history

In no particular order:

Pink Floyd
    Led Zepplin
    Metallica (at least from Load through S&M)
    Radiohead
    Frank Zappa
    Victor Wooten
    The Roots' bassist and drummer (They're amazing. Although I guess they're rap.)
    Mike Mushok
    Jimmi Hendricks
    BB King (blues)
    Eric Clapton
    Brad Paisley (Ok, it's country and I hate it, but I can't downplay his skill)
    Tool/A Perfect Circle have done some pretty interesting things
    System of a Down does some wild things, but they certainly aren't for everyone.

WAGS

Quote Originally Posted by pahster
    In no particular order:

Pink Floyd
    Led Zepplin
    Metallica (at least from Load through S&M)
    Radiohead
    Frank Zappa
    Victor Wooten
    The Roots' bassist and drummer (They're amazing. Although I guess they're rap.)
    Mike Mushok
    Jimmi Hendricks
    BB King (blues)
    Eric Clapton
    Brad Paisley (Ok, it's country and I hate it, but I can't downplay his skill)
    Tool/A Perfect Circle have done some pretty interesting things
    System of a Down does some wild things, but they certainly aren't for everyone.
    i pretty much agree with this list.

The Beatles were pretty damn good musicians
    School's out. What did you expect?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

My all-time favorite, Stevie Ray Vaughan. Rave On Stevie Rave On...I miss you man
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Time is the Revelator.

Dylan.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    Dylan.
    Most definitely. I can't believe I forgot to mention him. He can't sing his way out of a wet paper bag, but he's an incredible musician and lyricist.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster
    Most definitely. I can't believe I forgot to mention him. He can't sing his way out of a wet paper bag, but he's an incredible musician and lyricist.
    He's an incredible songwriter and lyricist, but I'm not sure he can play his way out of a paper bag either.

Jerry Garcia, the guy could play anything he picked up. His guitar on Crosby's first album is awsome and as unlike the Dead as anything he ever did.

Sam Bush is another guy who could make music out of a corncob and a candy wrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Not gonna contradict you (I love the Beatles) but I heard Pete Townshend from The Who say this during an interview once:

Interviewer: But wouldn't you say The Beatles have a certain musical quality?
    Pete Townshend: Oooh, that's a tough question. Actually, this afternoon, John and I were listening to a stereo LP of The Beatles, in which the voices come out of the one side and the backing track came out of the other. And when you actually here the backing tracks of The Beatles without their voices, their flippin' lousy

Of course i believe Pete called his own band lousy in tha same interview. Just thought what he said was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07
    Not gonna contradict you (I love the Beatles) but I heard Pete Townshend from The Who say this during an interview once:

Interviewer: But wouldn't you say The Beatles have a certain musical quality?
    Pete Townshend: Oooh, that's a tough question. Actually, this afternoon, John and I were listening to a stereo LP of The Beatles, in which the voices come out of the one side and the backing track came out of the other. And when you actually here the backing tracks of The Beatles without their voices, their flippin' lousy

Of course i believe Pete called his own band lousy in tha same interview. Just thought what he said was funny.
    Love Pete, but he's never been very objective. Maybe he's just sensitive because Joe Perry said Pete sucked (yeah Righhhht Joe) and because although he was no slouch himself he was playing with a couple of giants himself.

I know from playing that the chord structures of most beatles songs are very complex compared to a lot of bands. It just isn't easy to play that stuff.

Simon & Garfunkel is another band with crazy chord structures.

My vote goes to the Stones--partly because I can't separate the music from the musicianship. You may not grow up trying to sound like Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, or Keith Richards, but when you grow up and try, you realize you can't. In fact, no one sounds like them. Those three (and throw in Mick Taylor) may not be my favorites by themselves, but the subject said "bands," so I feel like I should play along, and talk about the band that contains the greatest number of my favorite musicians.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

He's an incredible songwriter and lyricist, but I'm not sure he can play his way out of a paper bag either.
    But Dylan's backing bands have always been top notch.

It was amazing how they could emulate/play other band's songs while messing around in the recording studio. A craft they honed while toiling in Hamburg, Germany.

And Lennon was highly under-rated as a rhythm guarist. McCartney was very much an innovative bass player. Harrsion could carry his own as far as a lead guitarist (especially slide), but I personally don't rate him very high on the list when compared to some of the greats. Ringo was mediocre at best as a drummer.

But when you put the four together...Oh look out!

Talented musicians...

Bands like ELP and Yes were all classically trained.

Guitarists

Jimmy Page (I agree he was very self-indulgent, but still one of the best)
    Eric Clapton (in the 60's 70's. Since then? YECH! )
    Ritchie Blackmore (always one of my favorites)
    Steve Howe
    Jimmy Hendrix (I give him his due, but not one of my personal favorites)
    David Gilmour (became a more disciplined player)
    Peter Frampton (this guy can really play the guitar. Pop image marred that)
    Jeff Beck (Wired and Beckola)
    Frank Zappa (brilliant musician overall)

Drummers

John Bonham
    Keith Moon
    Ian Paice
    Bill Ward
    Neil Peart
    Carl Palmer

Keyboards

Jon Lord
    Ray Manzarek
    Keith Emerson
    Richard Wright
    Billy Preston
    Greg Allman
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Tramboline:
    Shirley Partridge
    Tracy Partridge

Turn Off Ads?