Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Padres Fans Reactions To Sean Casey Rumor

Re: Padres Fans Reactions To Sean Casey Rumor

Quote Originally Posted by wally post
    It seems we "mostly" agree. I would also do Ponson for Casey in a minute. But, the thought of Ponson + Cincinnati Chili =
    I don't think I'd trade Casey for Ponson.

I'd like to trade Casey, but if you get Ponson, that ties up a spot in the rotation to another high paid starting pitcher. We already have Milton and Wilson eating up two slots. Ortiz will likely be gone next year, but Wilson will get some starts, whether he's healthy or not.

Claussen and Harang have slots locked up for next year. So I'd rather leave a 5th spot open (Claussen, Milton, Harang, and Wilson have by default locked up 5 "slots"). I'd rather keep that fifth slot open for an inexpensive waiver wire pickup or for in case some kid steps up (like that kid we just got for Randa).

Having 3 slots in the rotation (this year and next) manned by overpriced, immovable vet starting pitchers is not a good idea for a rebuilding team.

I'll keep Casey instead. Ponson doesn't give us any salary relief.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    I was dead serious. I believe bringing in RA brought out the best in F'Lo. Competition tends to make players better, ya know?
    I agree. I really liked the idea of making Lopez win his job (which he did).
    I didn't work out too well when the Reds handed Lopez the job. He's much more focused this year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    And that's exactly the reason that the Reds won't be able to trade him.
    I tend to agree. It's going to be VERY difficult to trade Casey. Too bad DanO didn't move him last year.

I can't see Casey going anywhere. I don't see a real good fit.

It's amazing when you look at the Reds for this year. JB stuck the Reds with some bad contracts in Graves and Casey.

Then DanO piles on with Milton and Wilson.

Dumb and dumber.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I don't think I'd trade Casey for Ponson.

I'd like to trade Casey, but if you get Ponson, that ties up a spot in the rotation to another high paid starting pitcher. We already have Milton and Wilson eating up two slots. Ortiz will likely be gone next year, but Wilson will get some starts, whether he's healthy or not.

Claussen and Harang have slots locked up for next year. So I'd rather leave a 5th spot open (Claussen, Milton, Harang, and Wilson have by default locked up 5 "slots"). I'd rather keep that fifth slot open for an inexpensive waiver wire pickup or for in case some kid steps up (like that kid we just got for Randa).

Having 3 slots in the rotation (this year and next) manned by overpriced, immovable vet starting pitchers is not a good idea for a rebuilding team.

I'll keep Casey instead. Ponson doesn't give us any salary relief.
    While I don't disagree with you ( and I also don't know the specifics of Ponson's contract situation), for argument's sake, would you not rather have $ of this amount tied up in pitching than a positional player, esp. considering the offensive caliber this club possesses? I would also think a pitcher performing below expectations would be easier to move than a 1B putting up the kind of #s Casey is.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    While I don't disagree with you ( and I also don't know the specifics of Ponson's contract situation), for argument's sake, would you not rather have $ of this amount tied up in pitching than a positional player, esp. considering the offensive caliber this club possesses? I would also think a pitcher performing below expectations would be easier to move than a 1B putting up the kind of #s Casey is.
    I don't mind $$ being tied up in good pitching. It's looking like Ponson is a bad pitcher though. Looks like he got that big contract and got lazy or apathetic or hurt. He's been very inconsistent throughout his whole career, and then had a big year right before free agency. I'm not sure how long Ponson's contract is, but I think it's as least as long as Casey's.

I would rather leave a slot open in the rotation, and hope to get an average pitcher instead of Ponson, as opposed to having 3 albotrosses next year cemented in the rotation (Wilson, Milton, Ponson). But, if there was confidence that Ponson could even pitch at an average level, then everything changes; I make the trade then. I just think Ponson is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan
    It would be pointless to trade for another 3rd baseman. I don't know why you would send the message to Encarnacion that we don't fully trust his abilities, so we are bringing in a backup player "just in case." To me, when the Reds traded Randa today, that is showing that they think Edwin is ready and they put their trust in his ability to play at the Major League level. They have made that decision so they must stick by it and live with the consequences (good or bad). Besides, Encarnacion will go through some good and some bad times, you just have to ride it out and hope that the bad will be less numerous. Oh, and I do like the sound of Ponson, as long as you make Kearns teach him how to lose some weight!
    Why acquire another 3B? Beyond EE, who do we have? I dont know that Burroughs is the answer, but we certainly lack 3b depth in the minors, I do know that. If casey is shipped out, I will be one happy Reds fan. The guy thats "impossible" to trade, moved. Solves the OF problem, a big time problem. And I prefer the talent of Dunn/Griff/Kearns/Pena on the field everday over Casey/Dunn/Griff and Mo or Kearns.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    John Hart did, Jim Bowden didn't. So far Dan O'Brien hasn't

The '98 Padres went to the WS with Joyner playing 1b. The '90 Reds won with Morris; Wally and Hal were similar to Sean as hitters. Casey's not dragging the Red's offense down, they're leading the NL. Put Casey on a team with pitching and he'll make contact w/RISP, drive in runs and contribute to a playoff contender

Just like in '99
    Casey is a punch and Judy hitter. 99 is an aberation, not the norm. Casey is not dragging down the Reds offense, true. But you say you put him on a team with pitching and suddenly he's in 99 form? I fail to see how his own teams PITCHING directly affects his offensive production. Casey will be punch and judy where ever he goes.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?