Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Padres Fans Reactions To Sean Casey Rumor

Porkchop Sandwiches

Re: Padres Fans Reactions To Sean Casey Rumor

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    The Reds would be better getting nothing than keeping Casey. He's horrible and makes 8.5 Million a year.
    I changed something, and yet it still works, go figure.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    DING! DING! DING!

i would take xavier nady for him straight up and then turn around and lock up kearns, dunn and pena long term.

Another thing this does is gives us an additional SUPER SUB on the roster and allows us to either deal Junioor (if that can happen) and play Naddy or Freel in the OF...or...deal Freal along with Merker too the BoSox for Shoppach.
    Last edited by MartyFan; 07-24-2005 at 02:13 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

It's tough because Casey is such a damn nice guy, but Krono's right, 4 guys for 5 spots doesn't work. And Casey's the expensive one. I like Casey as much as anyone,and I'm gonna miss seeing him chat to anyone he see's on first. My girlfreind's gonna give me hell when the Reds trade him, but it's the right move to make.

Trade Him. Casey Must Go.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Right now I would trade Casey for nothing. It would be the equivalent of trading Casey for Austin Kearns and a long-term deal for Adam Dunn.
    There are about $8,000,000 or so reasons to trade Casey. Sean is a very nice guy who is vastly overpaid, given his production.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I'm as big a Casey fan as they come. When he was lambasted here for a couple of years, I didn't take it very well. Turns out he was injured, and the first half of last year, he looked like the Casey we all saw in '99.

His stroke was back, and he raked.

But it hasn't lasted. Unless he's injured again, and we don't know it, his production level is overpriced for our budget.

In the big picture, he brings a lot of things to the table that aren't production related. He's the face of the franchise, and there is a goodwill-marketing element to that situation that the front office uses to their advantage. You might say that part of his salary should be charged off as a marketing expense.

And I don't think that his drop off in slugging this year is the real Casey, any more than the increase last year was. Regardless, we've got better options and if we can get out from under his salary and move Dunn to first, it's the smart thing to do.

If we do it, the real outcry won't come from savy fans who read here. It will come from all the casual fans who want their kids to be like Casey. There is a real value to that kind of goodwill. We just can't afford it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Sean is also now 31 years old. I realize some players maintain great production throughout their 30s, but historically most players begin to fade once they get that old. If Sean could produce as he did in 1999 and 2004, his contract would've be bad, but those seasons certainly do not appear to be his norm at this point.
    I don't enjoy criticizing Casey. He IS a nice guy. Unfortunately he is also overpaid, compared to other firstbasemen, and paid too much for the Reds budget.

It seems we "mostly" agree. I would also do Ponson for Casey in a minute. But, the thought of Ponson + Cincinnati Chili =

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan
    I don't know why you would send the message to Encarnacion that we don't fully trust his abilities, so we are bringing in a backup player "just in case."
    Worked in the case of RA coming in with F'Lo..
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Sean Casey is Gordy Coleman, would you have wanted to keep Gordy Coleman instead of playing Lee May at 1st?

If Ponson ended up in Cincy it would only be for 7 days at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by gm

The '98 Padres went to the WS with Joyner playing 1b. The '90 Reds won with Morris; Wally and Hal were similar to Sean as hitters. Casey's not dragging the Red's offense down, they're leading the NL. Put Casey on a team with pitching and he'll make contact w/RISP, drive in runs and contribute to a playoff contender

Just like in '99
    1st off Casey in no where near the player he was in '99 plus now he is making about 400% more now.

Morris only got about 300ab in 1990; he wasn't hitting 3rd getting 1/6 of the teams payroll and hitting in to 30+ double plays.

Originally Posted by gm

The '98 Padres went to the WS with Joyner playing 1b.
    Joyner was .90 better in OPS than the league and .46 better than all other 1b... plus he could pick it much better than Casey.
    Code:
    Casey	.304/.360/.394 

NL 1b	.282/.362/.482	

NL	.260/.328/.413

Hasn't it been mentioned a couple times about the Pad's being interested in Milton, maybe Casey and Milton.
    Wonder how long it would take to convert Burroughs into a catcher.
    Visit your local Psychiatrist, There may not be bugs crawling on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo
    Hasn't it been mentioned a couple times about the Pad's being interested in Milton, maybe Casey and Milton.
    Wonder how long it would take to convert Burroughs into a catcher.
    If San Diego will assume all of the obigations on their contracts, I'd trade Casey and Milton to the Padres for Nate Colbert. Colbert is nearly 60 years old and has been retired for a long time, but I'd still make the trade.

Turn Off Ads?