Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Padres Fans Reactions To Sean Casey Rumor

Re: Padres Fans Reactions To Sean Casey Rumor

Latest rumor is Nevin will veto the trade with his no-trade clause, especially with him just building a house in San Diego. He doesn't want to leave the West Coast.

If this happens, forget about Casey going to San Diego.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I'm as big a Casey fan as they come. When he was lambasted here for a couple of years, I didn't take it very well. Turns out he was injured, and the first half of last year, he looked like the Casey we all saw in '99.

His stroke was back, and he raked.

But it hasn't lasted. Unless he's injured again, and we don't know it, his production level is overpriced for our budget.

In the big picture, he brings a lot of things to the table that aren't production related. He's the face of the franchise, and there is a goodwill-marketing element to that situation that the front office uses to their advantage. You might say that part of his salary should be charged off as a marketing expense.

And I don't think that his drop off in slugging this year is the real Casey, any more than the increase last year was. Regardless, we've got better options and if we can get out from under his salary and move Dunn to first, it's the smart thing to do.

If we do it, the real outcry won't come from savy fans who read here. It will come from all the casual fans who want their kids to be like Casey. There is a real value to that kind of goodwill. We just can't afford it.
    This is probably one of the best posts describing Casey I have ever seen. If it wasn't for the Reds being strapped for cash I would keep Casey here until he was ready to coach. However with the budget being what it is I would have to trade him to anyone willing to take over a majority of his contract.

Now this is also assuming (big assumption) that the Reds would then turn around and use the money freed up by Casey to either A) sign Dunn long term, or B) sign a true impact pitcher. If neither of these things happened then I wouldn't want Casey traded, why get rid of one of my favorite players just so the team can't do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Worked in the case of RA coming in with F'Lo..
    I hope that was a toungue in cheek moment....

Only thing that did was keep a more deserving young player(s) off the field while O'Brien/Miley played a guy who was hitting near 200 or lower while Pena, Kearns, Freel, or Lopez were on the bench.

Romans 10:9

The good thing is if the Reds got Ponson, they could give him Calvin Pickering's (another former Oriole) pants. I think they would fit him, so it would save them a little money in the uniform department.

Do not trade Casey and end up with Ponson. With Casey, you at least have someone everyone likes and he performs well. Ponson spent the offseason in an Aruba jail, and is pitching worse than Milton this season (with the salary to match). This would be a bad deal. Casey for nothing would be better because you at least get salary relief.

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    I hope that was a toungue in cheek moment....

Only thing that did was keep a more deserving young player(s) off the field while O'Brien/Miley played a guy who was hitting near 200 or lower while Pena, Kearns, Freel, or Lopez were on the bench.
    I was dead serious. I believe bringing in RA brought out the best in F'Lo. Competition tends to make players better, ya know?

It wasn't ever clear, even after his 2nd half last year, that F'Lo was going to be successful. (though i'm pleased he has been)
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

"So Fla Red"

I'm as big a Casey fan as they come. When he was lambasted here for a couple of years, I didn't take it very well. Turns out he was injured, and the first half of last year, he looked like the Casey we all saw in '99.

But it hasn't lasted. Unless he's injured again, and we don't know it, his production level is overpriced for our budget.

In the big picture, he brings a lot of things to the table that aren't production related. He's the face of the franchise, and there is a goodwill-marketing element to that situation that the front office uses to their advantage. You might say that part of his salary should be charged off as a marketing expense.

And I don't think that his drop off in slugging this year is the real Casey, any more than the increase last year was. Regardless, we've got better options and if we can get out from under his salary and move Dunn to first, it's the smart thing to do.

If we do it, the real outcry won't come from savy fans who read here. It will come from all the casual fans who want their kids to be like Casey. There is a real value to that kind of goodwill. We just can't afford it.
    RFS62 -- Very well stated

Dunn is the face of the franchise. He's also the one guy that can bring the average fan through the turnstile whether the team is mediocre or decent. As soon as the franchise figures out what they have in marketing potential with Dunn then they might actually begin to break the small market mode of operation (and promotion).

An executive from one of the teams involved in the Balt.-SD trade feels the Nevin will NOT veto the trade and the deal could be finalized by Monday evening.
    Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072401119.html

I agree completely. Sean Casey has been my favorite player since taking over fulltime at 1B in 1999 (I have always been partial to first basemen), but it has been my opinion since the end of last season that Casey is the logical one to move. Of course, Ken Griffey Jr.'s questionable health caused many (myself included) to hold off on coming to that realization, but I think it is now obvious to most that Casey must be traded (or culled, as I described it to a friend of mine) to improve the team as a whole.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-25-2005 at 03:25 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    If San Diego will assume all of the obigations on their contracts, I'd trade Casey and Milton to the Padres for Nate Colbert. Colbert is nearly 60 years old and has been retired for a long time, but I'd still make the trade.
    Not a bad suggestion. Should the Pads insist on hanging on to Colbert, Casey and Milton for Enzo Hernandez and Bob Owchinko works for me.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue
    Not a bad suggestion. Should the Pads insist on hanging on to Colbert, Casey and Milton for Enzo Hernandez and Bob Owchinko works for me.
    Rookie Randy Jones looks quite decent for the Pads, possibly they might be willing to toss in that Freddy Norman guy as well?

If San Diego will assume all of the obigations on their contracts, I'd trade Casey and Milton to the Padres for Nate Colbert. Colbert is nearly 60 years old and has been retired for a long time, but I'd still make the trade.

That deal fell through. Nate invoked his 10/30 rights and vetoed the trade.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

There are about $8,000,000 or so reasons to trade Casey. Sean is a very nice guy who is vastly overpaid, given his production.
    And that's exactly the reason that the Reds won't be able to trade him.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan
    It would be pointless to trade for another 3rd baseman.
    I disagree. The Reds have a serious talent deficit, and need to grab all the talent they can get. If they end up with two quality 3b, they can easily trade one for another need.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    John Hart did, Jim Bowden didn't. So far Dan O'Brien hasn't

The '98 Padres went to the WS with Joyner playing 1b. The '90 Reds won with Morris; Wally and Hal were similar to Sean as hitters. Casey's not dragging the Red's offense down, they're leading the NL. Put Casey on a team with pitching and he'll make contact w/RISP, drive in runs and contribute to a playoff contender

Just like in '99
    I'm surprised this is your take. Casey is not worth 8 million on this club. Aren't you always harping on how the Reds spend a disporportionate amount on position players? If Casey only made 2-3 million, I'd agree with you, but he's killing us. If we don't move Casey, someone like Dunn will have to be traded to meet Allen's budget for next eyar.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?