Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty: Forget the walks

Hybrid View

Marty: Forget the walks

Marty was just on XM radio's "Baseball Beat" with Charlie Steiner.

The first topic was Adam Dunn:
    Marty says the walks are nice, but he says Dunn is payed to drive in runs. His exact words were "to Hell with the walks." Marty says he wants Dunn to swing the bat with RISP and forget about the walks. He says if Dunn ever consistantly "gets it," ...watch out.

Harang:
    Marty really likes him. Says he's become the kind of pitcher that you are surprised if he has a bad outing. Throws a lot of first pitch strikes.

Milton:
    "Disaster"

Ortiz:
    Marty will be shocked if Ortiz is back next season.

Kearns, Dunn, Pena:
    Marty doesn't feel that any of the three will be moved during the season. He says the Reds want ML ready starting pitching, but nobody in a pennant race will be willing to give that up. He feels Wily Mo will be moved in the off season.

DanO's plan:
    Marty isn't sure what it is. He says DanO "thinks" he has a plan. He then reeled off all of the questionable moves made before the season.

Randa:
    Loves him. Says he'll really help the Padres, and he enjoyed having him with the Reds.

Germano & Chick:
    Marty knows nothing about them. He says he never listens to praise coming from his own front office. There's no way the Reds' FO will give a bad review about incoming prospects. However, he says he heard that other organizations had the two ranked highly. He thinks that's a good sign.

Narron & Miley:
    The biggest difference between Narron & Miley is that Narron is a DanO guy. Miley was not. He also says Narron does a better job communicating with the players and has done a good job since taking over.

Further trades?:
    He says there will probably be a lot of interest in Weathers and Merker. He doesn't want to see either of them go because he thinks it good to have them around the young arms in the pen. He also praised Rich Aurilia and said he could help a lot of teams. He mentioned the Cubs specifically.

Re: Marty: Forget the walks

To Hell with the walks."

Marty Brenneman
    Never swing at a ball you're fooled on or have trouble hitting.

Ted Williams
    I know who I'll listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

a headless frozen Ted Williams still knows more about hitting then Marty ever will.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

DanO's plan:
    Marty isn't sure what it is. He says DanO "thinks" he has a plan. He then reeled off all of the questionable moves made before the season.
    Those very moves that Marty was building up when they were made and all during ST? He was as ga-ga as everyone else about how good the Reds looked "on paper"
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Those very moves that Marty was building up when they were made and all during ST? He was as ga-ga as everyone else about how good the Reds looked "on paper"
    So was I. So were a lot of people.

We got fooled

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    So was I. So were a lot of people.

We got fooled

Who you callin "we" kemosabe?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Telling the truth about Dunn (getting paid for rbi's, not walks) wont go well on this board. Didnt George Foster say basically the same thing shortly ago?

Those two dont know aanything about baseball, Im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tp_on_safari
    Telling the truth about Dunn (getting paid for rbi's, not walks) wont go well on this board. Didnt George Foster say basically the same thing shortly ago?

The truth?

Bahahahahhaha

Truth is a reality crafted by ones relationship with the world around them.

Sham

Truth is a reality crafted by ones relationship with the world around them.
    Great quote, is that famous, or can I pretend I authored it?

Quote Originally Posted by tp_on_safari

Dunn's paid to create runs.

Something that he's really good a.

Here's the list of NL players better then Dunn at Creating Runs so far in 2005:
    D. Lee
    A. Pujols
    M. Cabrera
    B. Abreau
    A. Ramirez
    J. Bay

Not a bad group of players to be compared with, huh?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor

D. Lee
    A. Pujols
    M. Cabrera
    B. Abreau
    A. Ramirez
    J. Bay

If Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Ott, Bonds, Simmons, Jackson, Perez and Banks don't make the point for some, I doubt if that group will impress.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

D. Lee
    A. Pujols
    M. Cabrera
    B. Abreau
    A. Ramirez
    J. Bay

Trying the RC argument again. That should stir up some interesting discussion.

a headless frozen Ted Williams still knows more about hitting then Marty ever will.
    Exactly. Ted Williams was the first guy I thought of when I read Marty's stupid statement.
    The Reds have a number of players I like. I can't at the moment think of any non-players associated with the Reds whom I would miss if they left: Lindner, Allen, O'Brien, Narron-add Marty to that list.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

great post.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep529
    Marty was just on XM radio's "Baseball Beat" with Charlie Steiner.

The first topic was Adam Dunn:
    Marty says the walks are nice, but he says Dunn is payed to drive in runs. His exact words were "to Hell with the walks." Marty says he wants Dunn to swing the bat with RISP and forget about the walks. He says if Dunn ever consistantly "gets it," ...watch out.

The next time Marty complains about one of the Reds pitchers walking a guy with runners on, he should be immediatly reminded about this quote.

Turn Off Ads?