Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty: Forget the walks

Re: Marty: Forget the walks

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    People seem very hesitant to suggest that Dunn should work on lowering his strikeouts. But the fear that a cut down in strikeouts would also mean a cutback in production is simply a theory--and in fact it may well be selling Dunn short to suggest so. Am I happy with Dunn's production right now? Absolutely--you'd be a fool not to be. But I also believe that he has room for improvement, and the astronomical strikeout rate would be right up there on the list of things to work on.
    Great post. That's exactly the point. The dude's so strong that I think that Dunn would hit 10 more homers a year by accident if he shortened his swing with two strikes. I don't KNOW that for a fact--it's simply a theory.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Nah...he's got quite a following at mlb.com...(aka the Church of Soft Walks).

These are the guys who don't enjoy a Reds victory if Dunn plays the hero. It's bittersweet to them, and for the life of me I can't understand why.
    they weren't having it last night.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis

People seem very hesitant to suggest that Dunn should work on lowering his strikeouts. But the fear that a cut down in strikeouts would also mean a cutback in production is simply a theory--and in fact it may well be selling Dunn short to suggest so. Am I happy with Dunn's production right now? Absolutely--you'd be a fool not to be. But I also believe that he has room for improvement, and the astronomical strikeout rate would be right up there on the list of things to work on.

I would like to see him learn to foul off or slap to left field some of those called third strikes that he currently can't handle on the lower outside corner of the plate. I have no problem with him taking those pitches with less than two strikes, but I'm sure he knows they're strikes as he's got such great plate judgement that I think he can learn to alter his approach with 2 strikes. And if he does, watch out.
    School's out. What did you expect?

But the fear that a cut down in strikeouts would also mean a cutback in production is simply a theory--and in fact it may well be selling Dunn short to suggest so.
    But it's a theory that was tested by Mr. Bob Boone in 2003, or as I like to call it "The Dark Times." It resulted in Dunn's worst year in the majors.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    But it's a theory that was tested by Mr. Bob Boone in 2003, or as I like to call it "The Dark Times." It resulted in Dunn's worst year in the majors.
    That wasn't the theory in 2003. The theory in 2003 was that Dunn had to pull everything. That DID change his approach and messed with his head. Plus, the guy is strong enough to hit it out anywhere in the park--he doesn't need to pull everything to hit 40+ homers.

All dyslexics must untie!

Vote for what pedro said

Dunn and Pena have no 2 strike approach. OTOH, Casey only has a 2 strike approach

Chambliss can't be responsible for the Red's hitters poor fundamentals, his '98 Yankees knew how to situationally make contact
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    Vote for what pedro said
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    In addition to what NCB said, in 2003 Dunn was in his first full year and was still maturing as a hitter. Hopefully he's matured enough now to understand that "take less strikes" doesn't equate to "swing wildly." If Dunn *honestly* couldn't cut down his K's without also sacrificing production, then I would say leave him alone. But at this point, it's all conjecture, and if opposing pitchers are able to get two strikes on him, some brief viewing of the video will show you where to pitch him to get him out. If he could--as Pedro mentioned--learn to only foul off even *some* of those two strike pitches that are currently going for strike three, and force the pitcher to throw another pitch, I believe that alone could increase his production, while also serving to cut down on the Ks.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    That movie is flippin' sweet!

Told you the Dunn board, I meant reds live board wouldt like it. Marty and G. Foster know enough to gice an honest opinion. I know the expets on this board know more than Marty and Foster, but I agree with Marty. I know this a Dunn fan board, but I thought I was allowed to give my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tp_on_safari
    Told you the Dunn board, I meant reds live board wouldt like it. Marty and G. Foster know enough to gice an honest opinion. I know the expets on this board know more than Marty and Foster, but I agree with Marty. I know this a Dunn fan board, but I thought I was allowed to give my opinion.
    Actually it's a "baseball" board so many of us go the extra mile to get opinions from guys that maybe didn't always cash a check with Mr Red on it.

Hence the Earl Weaver reference earlier.

If ya want we can dig up some Branch Rickey for you too.... he also is in the real part of the HOF... oh and the Reds cut him 100 years ago.

Funny, I don't see any of your posts being edited or deleted. If you can't take people disagreeing with your opinions, perhaps you may want to find somewhere else to post where everyone agrees with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I know this a Dunn fan board, but I thought I was allowed to give my opinion.

You are giving your opinion. We in turn are giving our opinion on your opinion.

If you want someplace where you're allowed to say anything you want without anyone disagreeing with you, the internet probably isn't for you.

Sham

I like cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Sham
    I like cheese.
    Lately I've been digging the hard white cheeses myself, good cheese is good ya know?

Turn Off Ads?