Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty: Forget the walks

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Marty: Forget the walks

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Dunn's paid to create runs.

Something that he's really good a.

Here's the list of NL players better then Dunn at Creating Runs so far in 2005:
    D. Lee
    A. Pujols
    M. Cabrera
    B. Abreau
    A. Ramirez
    J. Bay

Not a bad group of players to be compared with, huh?
    If Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Ott, Bonds, Simmons, Jackson, Perez and Banks don't make the point for some, I doubt if that group will impress.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dunn's paid to create runs.

Something that he's really good a.

Here's the list of NL players better then Dunn at Creating Runs so far in 2005:
    D. Lee
    A. Pujols
    M. Cabrera
    B. Abreau
    A. Ramirez
    J. Bay

Not a bad group of players to be compared with, huh?
    Trying the RC argument again. That should stir up some interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    If Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Ott, Bonds, Simmons, Jackson, Perez and Banks don't make the point for some, I doubt if that group will impress.

Ruth was just a fat man with skinny girl legs.

-George Steinbrenner, "Seinfeld"
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Trying the RC argument again. That should stir up some interesting discussion.

"But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Banks
    Couldn't take a walk, then his BA dropped in the pitching rich 60's

.258/.306/.448/.755 62-71 - 311 BB in 5190 PA's

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    the old "not make outs" mantra (sigh)......

If you're going to play LEFT FIELD you're there for your HITTING or because you're going to steal 100 bases. I'll take a "not make outs" mantra from a catcher who does a good job defensively and handling pitching staff or from an infield glove guy or "maybe" CF who takes away would be hits. But if you're going to play LF or 1B you're paid to HIT THE BALL. Forget the walks.

MARTY
    Hmmm...BF espousing the nastiness that is drawing a base on balls. This must be a day that ends in "Y"
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Walks rock, double plays suck.
    Go Gators!

Can't...help...my...self....

Batting average assumes: single=double=triple=homerun

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would think that using a stat that assumes that is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Walks rock, double plays suck.
    you should write a song, daddyo

a headless frozen Ted Williams still knows more about hitting then Marty ever will.
    Exactly. Ted Williams was the first guy I thought of when I read Marty's stupid statement.
    The Reds have a number of players I like. I can't at the moment think of any non-players associated with the Reds whom I would miss if they left: Lindner, Allen, O'Brien, Narron-add Marty to that list.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Hmmm...BF espousing the nastiness that is drawing a base on balls. This must be a day that ends in "Y"
    since we hadn't seen him for awhile I was thinking someone had got him with a silver bullet.

Here are some questions, that I'm sure have been asked before...

How many fewer walks would Dunn have if he hit higher in the order with better protection behind him? If he hit in the middle of the order instead of the bottom, would other teams be so quick to pitch around him? How many more HR, RBI, 2B, etc... would he have?

Quote Originally Posted by sigep529

How many fewer walks would Dunn have if he hit higher in the order with better protection behind him?
    there is no one in this lineup that would give Dunn protection.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep529

How many fewer walks would Dunn have if he hit higher in the order with better protection behind him? If he hit in the middle of the order instead of the bottom, would other teams be so quick to pitch around him? How many more HR, RBI, 2B, etc... would he have?
    This is my biggest complaint in batting Dunn so low in the order. All you are doing when you bat him in the 6th or 7th spot is drive his walk total up because, like you said, people are just going to pitch around him. With guys like LaRue and Milton hitting behind him why would you ever pitch to him? If you wanna get Dunn more RBI's move him up in the order. If a moron like me can understand this, why can't the Reds?

Baffling.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

Nobody obviously wants to "break" Dunn--as is, he's a stud.

I think that when people argue he "walks too much"--they're questioning his approach more than the number of walks per se. His selectivity at the plate really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. How can you have a guy who supposedly has such a good eye that he can walk 100+ times a year but who also strikes out (swings and misses) as much as Dunn?

Another selective slugger--before his skills started declining--was Frank Thomas. In each of his first seven full seasons, Thomas walked 100+ times (including the 1994 strike shortened season). He did strike out 112 times in his first full season but then never struck out again more than 88 times in a season. He hit over .300 (and near or over .350) in each of those seasons. His OBA in each season was well over .400.

Yeah, Dunn's a big guy and has a lot of big moving parts which probably leads to more swings and misses--Thomas is a big guy, too. But I don't understand how such a selective guy, looking for his pitch, strikes out with the frequency that he does--it's really an anamoly for a non-free swinger. The frustrating thing is that he doesn't seem to want to change his approach. He reminds me of Shaq at the free throw line.

Turn Off Ads?