Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overrated band in rock history?

Re: Most overrated band in rock history?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    hey, Rock N Roll's not everyone's bag. It isn't exactly brain surgery, I know.
    I know. I posted for your benefit only. BTW, I don't hate the genre, I'm just very selective with what I can handle. My wife likes a lot of the new stuff so it's starting to grow on me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Overrated by whom? When? Dave Mathews is probably underrated by most the people I know, who absolutely loathe him. On that note I'll nominate (ducking) The Ramones. I love them too but these days you'd think they invented Rock. They were revolutionary in some ways (although not as much as people imagine) and provided the much need prick to bad 70's prog-rock but they didn't grow much beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I know. I posted for your benefit only. BTW, I don't hate the genre, I'm just very selective with what I can handle. My wife likes a lot of the new stuff so it's starting to grow on me.
    I knowd it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Nothing wrong with that--at least he was adventurous. Which is about ten times more than you could say for Keith Richards.
    Virtuosity, IMO, represents a mere fraction of artistic enjoyment. I'll take the rumble and crunch of Keith's sloppy telecaster over Tom Scholz's goofy, letter-perfect yet bloodless solo wankery anyday.

Now Zappa was adventurous, if you want to talk about the marriage of virtuosity and soul. Or the Allman Brothers.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 07-25-2005 at 07:35 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Dave Matthews Band gets my vote, with John Maher as a close second.

Can't understand anyone who would think the Beatles are overrated, and it's not just because I'm nostalgic. It's just pretty hard to get from the 50's to today without going through them. Similarly, it is very hard to get to todays hard rock and heavy metal without stopping for a while on Jimi Page's repertoire.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Springsteen...well, if the man has written a song containing more than three chords, I haven't heard it yet.
    Bill Monroe didn't either.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

You know what's not overrated?

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain by Pavement.

Just Sayin'

How can a list not start with this band?

Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I said the Stones because I thought that they would provoke a response but I think that for them to be called the greatest band ever is a joke. I like Queen but they are overrated and Nirvana basically started a new genre in music (which sounded to me to be a heavier 70's rock sound). These threads and questions are all opinion but I think they are kind of fun and can spark some interesting answers and commentary.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    I said the Stones because I thought that they would provoke a response but I think that for them to be called the greatest band ever is a joke. I like Queen but they are overrated and Nirvana basically started a new genre in music (which sounded to me to be a heavier 70's rock sound). These threads and questions are all opinion but I think they are kind of fun and can spark some interesting answers and commentary.
    I agree that is was a good idea for a thread. And we all know what Machiavelli said, make sure your first attack is the most vicious.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    T Rex?

.. CCR too.

And Elvis too...
    I give up. What can I say. Let's just talk about T-Rex. Hell, Bolan isn't even in the Hall of Fame. Moreover they certainly wern't overated in the USA, they were only popular here with musicians. In any event back in the early 70s when Arena Rock was destroying everything, Bolan kept the 3 minute single alive and has been very influential over the years. Lou Reed, Bowie, Mott, Johnny Rotten,Roxy Music, most punk bands,particularly the Ramones, have all stated their debt to T-Rex. Bolan invented glam, and glam led to punk.

Joey Ramone said - “It (the Ramones) was born out of a chemical imbalance between me, Dee Dee & Johnny. Rock & roll had got so bloated & lost its spirit. We stripped it down & reassembled it under the influence of the MC5, The Beatles & the Stones, Alice Cooper & T-Rex.”

Put on Electric Warrior - it still sounds great.

"Meanwhile, I'm still thinking..."

Now as for Elvis....

Put on Electric Warrior - it still sounds great.
    I heard Greg Kihn rip on Bolans playing one day on Classic Rock Radio in San Jose.

Irony.

Ya know what's not overrated?

The Modern Lovers first LP.

I heard Greg Kihn rip on Bolans playing one day on Classic Rock Radio in San Jose.

Irony.

I'm listening to that right now.

How's that for strange?

Overrated?

It's a tie between Coldplay, Pavement, and Ween.

Honorable mention goes out to Ani Difranco.

Blechhh....
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Musically speaking, the competiton between Keith and Elvis isn't even close, at least in terms of actually writing songs. I'll admit, Elvis has great voice, but he didn't write most of his songs.
    Not that old argument again. How many songs did Sinatra write? or Billie Holliday? or Aretha? Elvis was a singer, not a songwriter. But such an incedible and revolutionary singer (like Sinatra) that the fact that he didn't write his songs doesn't diminsh his greatness. And i'll bet you dollars to donuts Keith would be the first one to agree with me.

Irony.

Bolan (who was slightly nuts) claimed to be a better guitarist than Pete Townsend to which the Who guitarist professionally replied "I've always dug Marc Bolan and he knows it, and he also knows that I'd let him get away with murder because of what he's doing for rock & roll".

The Modern Lovers have always slipped under my radar, but i keep hearing good things about them. One of these days.

Are you talking about Elvis?

I know peanut butter and bacon sandwiches sound pretty revolutionary, and that baby blue sequined jumpsuit, well enuff said, but come on if it wasn't for Elvis's guitar player (who was a god) he'd have had almost no impact on popular music IMO.

And annother thing, which guitar player are you talking about? Scotty Moore, Hank Garland ( Little Sister) , or James Burton (Burning Love)? All three were/are incredible and the King sounded great in front of all three. Coincidence?

Turn Off Ads?