Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Most overrated band in rock history?

Re: Most overrated band in rock history?

That's why NP doesn't write the music, Geddy and Alex do.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Songs with an Ayn Rand theme have small legs, Thrasher still makes me cry 27 years later.
    And here I thought it was just me.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by NCRed
    Hands down
    U2
    Can't agree! Lately, yes, their new CD is terribly overrated IMO and I am long-time U2 fan of the highest order.

If anything U2 is underrated and has been since their inception to an extent.

No rock band can even touch them in the last 20+ years. They are the Stones of our generation - continually reinventing themselves and evolving and being ultra creative with incredible talent and drawing sold out crowds at huge stadiums that no other band could ever do today on a consistent, long term basis.

Bono's act is old and tiresome and ridiculous at this point - he fashions himself as Jesus (with his huge audience and charitable nature that's ok to an extent) but he's just not cool anymore.

Yet I think it's easy to wear all black and try to look scary and evil and create angry music for the waywards kiddies - but I truly admire musicians who aren't afraid to influence people positively and do it well without being cheesey. Something U2 has done for a long time and not many others are capable of doing the same - I truly admire that.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    That's why NP doesn't write the music, Geddy and Alex do.
    I'm sure Neil and Rush could get together and talk some hockey too.

This could go back and forth all day, simply put I can't imagine my life without Neil Young. I've been listening to him for 30 plus years, I've seen him a dozen times or so (broke my ankle at his 85 Riverbend concert) Lived in the same town as him etc... plus Natural Beauty is a beautiful song that doesn't even have one electronic instrument in it.

My Dad listens to some Neil Young album or another every Sunday morning.

The only one I don't really kinda like is Harvest Moon, but I could probably still sing along with every song.

It's weird how Neil Young kinda weaseled into my conciousness.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    It's weird how Neil Young kinda weaseled into my conciousness.
    Someone and someone were down by the pond
    Looking for something to plant in the lawn.
    Out in the fields they were turning the soil
    I’m sitting here hoping this water will boil
    When I look through the windows and out on the road
    They’re bringing me presents and saying hello.

Singing words, words between the lines of age.
    Words, words between the lines of age.

But Neil Young's playing strikes me as amateurish and poor strictly because it *is* those things--and I don't believe intentionally. I just don't think he's very good. Thus, the "overrated" label.
    I agree that Young probably couldn't break out the chops, even if he wanted to. The thing is, I'm sure he doesn't want to. And I'm sure that nobody else does either. Virtuosity is dull. And it aint' art.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

For all of you "The Beatles started everything" folks, try this link.

Click on the soundfiles, listen.

Contrary to the writeup, alot of those bands predate the Beatles, especially the more psychadelic stuff. There were bands stretching the limits in England way before the Beatles became Hindus or what have yous.

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDe...o?Number=76787

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers anyone? John Cougar...er, John Cougar Mellencamp...I mean John Mellencamp....or John Mougar Cellencamp...you know, that guy who's like rock and country, we'll call it crock, and he loves Indiana and everything, covers Van Morrison songs...you know, that guy?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Virtuosity is dull. And it aint' art.
    Man!

There's no way I could agree more with anything that's ever been said.

Ever.

Thank you.

That's because the Clash weren't punk. They left that label behind with Give 'Em Enough Rope, and only got better from there.
    All their stuff pretty much sounds the same to me -- bad.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Virtuosity is dull. And it aint' art.
    Really, how could you possibly defend a statement like that? So, once you get "too good" at your instrument what you do is no longer art? That's just preposterous.

Really, how could you possibly defend a statement like that? So, once you get "too good" at your instrument what you do is no longer art? That's just preposterous.
    Maybe I should've said "virtuosity alone". Coltrane is a virtuoso but he plays with feeling and intuition. Otherwise you have a palor trick and how inspiring is the world's fastest typist.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

If you try to survive on virtuosity alone, you'll end up sounding like Phish or Joe Satriani.

Onanists unite!

Maybe I should've said "virtuosity alone". Coltrane is a virtuoso but he plays with feeling and intuition. Otherwise you have a palor trick and how inspiring is the world's fastest typist.
    OK, *that* I can agree with--and it's why I seriously dislike joe Satriani. Simply playing quickly or proficiently for its own sake doesn't gain a lot of artistic merit in my book. But there are many, many musical virtuosos who are fantastic artists as well.

All of this, mind you, takes places around the subjectiveness of art. Art is what you think it is--see John cage's "4:33" for more on this...
    Last edited by registerthis; 07-26-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Turn Off Ads?