Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overrated band in rock history?

Re: Most overrated band in rock history?

My vote goes for the Rolling Stones. I have seen them live twice and they were absolutely horrible each time. I think that if you take the best songs off of all their albums you could make two good albums thats it, they have released some very weak albums and songs in my opinion.
    Of all the bands out there I can't believe you singled out the greatest rock band of all-time. Sure they've been lame for the last 15 years but the 30 before that will be unsurpassed. I won't even go into this it's someone's opinion and their right to feel that way.

My vote goes to either "Phish" or The Dave Matthews Band. Flame away.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I love Sheer Heart Attack myself, then only a few songs.

Queen is music black liqurice.

Overrated?

Journey?

Boston?

T Rex?

The Dead?

Phish?

Dave Mathews?

Probably.

Overrated?

Garth Brooks?

Fer sure man... CCR too.

And Elvis too...
    Elvis? Now you've crossed the line. Was Boston ever "rated?" Tom Scholz designed guitar pedals for garsh sakes. Nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    Van Halen
    I have a Van Halen story.

Friend of mine knows a guy who is a persona star Valet, gets called for 2-3 week gigs with the stars.

Anyway, he's on tour with Van Halen and apparently Eddie has to fly in his own plane. the rest of the band is clean, but Eddie is puffing cigs and still drinking on his own plane with Wolfy in tow. Wolfy apparently is not as svelt as daddy was during the Carter era.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Elvis? Now you've crossed the line. Was Boston ever "rated?" Tom Scholz designed guitar pedals for garsh sakes. Nerd.
    he invented the Polaroid Instamatic IIRC

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

My vote goes to Nirvana.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    My vote goes to Nirvana.
    Nirvana enabled MTV to drive away from pop... they and their ilk of non conformists killed both Hair Metal and MTV Videos.

It's a double sided sword if there ever was one.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

It's not so much that style of music (I like Pearl Jam,SoundGarden and Nirvana et al). It's just I think they get way over rated.

EDIT: While I do love me Heavy Metal, anything speeding the early demise of the likes of Poison is a good thing.
    Last edited by BoydsOfSummer; 07-25-2005 at 06:53 PM.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Nothing wrong with that--at least he was adventurous. Which is about ten times more than you could say for Keith Richards.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Nothing wrong with that--at least he was adventurous. Which is about ten times more than you could say for Keith Richards.
    Monkey Man on a resume is pretty nifty IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Monkey Man on a resume is pretty nifty IMO.
    S'alright.

It's also one riff out of...eh, how many songs? Hundreds? thousands? I just don't like him much. But i can see why people do dig the Stones, it's why I didn't include the band as a whole as "overrated". But I certainly think Keith Richards is.

Same way people think Ringo was a good drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Are you talking about Elvis?

I know peanut butter and bacon sandwiches sound pretty revolutionary, and that baby blue sequined jumpsuit, well enuff said, but come on if it wasn't for Elvis's guitar player (who was a god) he'd have had almost no impact on popular music IMO.

Musically speaking, the competiton between Keith and Elvis isn't even close, at least in terms of actually writing songs. I'll admit, Elvis has great voice, but he didn't write most of his songs.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The entire genre is WAY over-rated.

<sits back and waits for Pedro's response/>
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    The entire genre is WAY over-rated.

<sits back and waits for Pedro's response/>
    hey, Rock N Roll's not everyone's bag. It isn't exactly brain surgery, I know.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Noooo! The greatest rythym guitarist of all-time wasn't creative or adventorous? (not sure what that means as it applies to guitar styles) He defined the role in guitar rock bands. Is it because he didn't bust out bow or popularize the hammer method like Eddie V? Just because he looks like he's about to fall over doesn't mean he can't play.

So far I've seen the Stones, Queen, The Dead, and Nirvana as overrated bands.

There simply has got to be better examples than that, my God I am shocked. I need to leave this thread for good now.

[QUOTE=CrackerJack]Of all the bands out there I can't believe you singled out the greatest rock band of all-time. Sure they've been lame for the last 15 years but the 30 before that will be unsurpassed. I won't even go into this it's someone's opinion and their right to feel that way.

The Beatles are the greatest rock band ever hands down. The Beatles could have done things the way the Stones did but the Stones could not have done the Beatle thing.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Turn Off Ads?