Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overrated band in rock history?

Re: Most overrated band in rock history?

While I agree with those who said Queen, for me, the most overrated band by far is KISS. Their music just wasn't very good (IMHO), and I just don't find the whole makeup/costume thing to be that interesting, either. I guess maybe if I saw them live I may have a different opinion, I don't know. I had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing mini-KISS (midgets playing KISS songs) perform once, and that was disastrous.

I just never really got what all the hype was about.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Nothing wrong with that--at least he was adventurous. Which is about ten times more than you could say for Keith Richards.
    The guy writes "Gimme Shelter" and he's not adventurous? The man's a walking riff machine. Can't think of anyone else I'd even put near him in that category - all right I can think of one guy, Neil Young.

Anyway, my vote for most overrated goes to The Beatles. IMO, they got credit for being the radio-friendly face of a lot of stuff others were doing better. Perhaps they'd have been less bubble gum out of the gate were it solely their choice, but when the AOR guys signed every band in England what we discovered was that many of them played far edgier stuff with a more driving tempo than anything The Beatles were churning out in their "She Loves You" phase.

The old saw is The Stones followed The Beatles at every turn. Certainly their marketing followed and some of their tunes did (Ruby Tuesday), but they always had an alley cat relfex that The Beatles (who had more of a hardscrabble upbringing) never could match, grinding out tunes like "Satisfaction", "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "Mother's Little Helper".

The Beatles couldn't howl like The Stones did on "Paint It Black" or go down the darkest of alleys like in "Sympathy for the Devil". I've always figured when the Stones cut "Let It Bleed" in 1969 is when they officially ripped the mantle of world's greatest living rock band off The Beatles. At that point it became clear that the boys from Liverpool didn't have that gear. Finally, as the Beatles were petering out with "The Long and Winding Road", The Stones were belting out "Brown Sugar". IMO, it ate at Lennon something fierce. That's the band he wanted to be in. I'm not saying The Stones are the greatest thing ever, just that what I hear when I listen to a Beatles record is a band often playing catch up with The Stones, The Beach Boys and a host of others.

The Beatles brought the music industry through some new doors and wrote lots of great songs, but I figure they were about 25% as good as their press. That's still awfully good, but a louder, broader sound was coming with or without them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    BTW- My vote goes for Queen- They have maybe 5 good songs.
    Um....you do know what "overrated" means right?

Queen have NEVER been overrated in this country, quite the opposite in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    And annother thing, which guitar player are you talking about? Scotty Moore, Hank Garland ( Little Sister) , or James Burton (Burning Love)? All three were/are incredible and the King sounded great in front of all three. Coincidence?
    scotty moore. elvis always had a good band.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred

Maybe we should have made it into a poll instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Not that old argument again. How many songs did Sinatra write? or Billie Holliday? or Aretha? Elvis was a singer, not a songwriter. But such an incedible and revolutionary singer (like Sinatra) that the fact that he didn't write his songs doesn't diminsh his greatness. And i'll bet you dollars to donuts Keith would be the first one to agree with me.
    you get points for saying "dollars to donuts". that always cracks me up. i like frank too.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Heck, if only Queen were MORE gay. They did just enough to be totally uninteresting, which is aesthetic death.
    Only those without a sense of humor find Queen to be "totally uninteresting."

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I'm listening to that right now.

How's that for strange?

Overrated?

It's a tie between Coldplay, Pavement, and Ween.

Honorable mention goes out to Ani Difranco.

Blechhh....
    Who is overrating Ani Difranco? And how so?

Um, I also know that they've sold more albums than any band in european history, I didn't know that they had to be overrated in the US to be overrated.

I also know that you don't like the Beatles, so there probably isn't much use for us to discuss music. But that's cool.

Only those without a sense of humor find Queen to be "totally uninteresting."
    Oh, I see.

That's the thing: they thought they were funny. But they weren't. They were kitschy. And that's not funny. They wrote lame pop kitsch and sold billions of records...in the U.S. That's overrated. Being hugely popular gets you "rated," sucking at your craft gets you "overrated."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I think 30 Seconds to Mars is the most overrated band ever. EVER.

(runs and hides from Rosie)

:
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Queen's Live Aid voted best rock concert ever:-
    London July 25, 2005 5:11:19 PM IST

Queen's Live Aid appearance has been named the best rock concert ever, with the band's performance at Wembley in 1985, fronted by singer Freddie Mercury, winning approximately 80 percent of votes.

According to the Sun, while the Beatles' rooftop performance at Apple studios got the second place in the poll by Sony Ericsson, Pink Floyd's 1980 show at Earl's Court was voted third.

Top 5 rock concerts are:

1. Queen's Live Aid performance at Wembley2. Beatles' rooftop performance at Apple studios3. Pink Floyd's show at Earl's Court4. Led Zeppelin at Earl's Court5. The Clash's New York Palladium (ANI)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Um, I also know that they've sold more albums than any band in european history, I didn't know that they had to be overrated in the US to be overrated.

I also know that you don't like the Beatles, so there probably isn't much use for us to discuss music. But that's cool.
    Check your facts, Queen are not the biggest selling band in Euro history.

Check your facts, Queen are not the biggest selling band in Euro history.
    I couldn't find the article, perhaps it was that they'd been on the charts longer than anyone in european history. It actually happened last week. They passed Pink Floyd if IIRC, and since that would mark them as very popular, and since I don't really like them, I do believe that that would qualify them to be called overrrated by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Oh, I see.

That's the thing: they thought they were funny. But they weren't. They were kitschy. And that's not funny. They wrote lame pop kitsch and sold billions of records...in the U.S. That's overrated. Being hugely popular gets you "rated," sucking at your craft gets you "overrated."
    Queen are the 50th.....50th, best selling band in the US. They were consistently dogged by the press here.....just how were they "rated" to begin with?

If you think they "suck", it's your loss, not mine.

The Beatles wrote just as many "lame pop" songs as Queen, shall we do a comparison? How many sickeningly bad pop songs did they start off with....if the Beatles had started in the 90s, they'd be the Backstreet Boys. Regardless of where they ended up, they began as a *COUGHboy bandCOUGH*

Turn Off Ads?