Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Knicks Coach

New Knicks Coach

Basketball used to have more flair... just sayin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Knicks Coach

Now that's panache.

or, he lost his pants somewhere and granny whipped him up some trousers by sewing up some spare table cloth.

Mmmm... Bow ties.

(Was Brown a Squire in this pic, woy?)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony
    Mmmm... Bow ties.

(Was Brown a Squire in this pic, woy?)
    I think that's the coach with the Carolina Cougars, there are quite a few old Brown Photos on CNN's sports site.

Do you mean Larry Brown coached another team before he was the Pistons' coach?

Seriously, though, the ABA rocked! The clothes, the red-white-blue ball, the hair, the 3-point shot, the team names...! It saddened me to see Dan Issel leave the Kentucky Colonels to play for the Nuggets, and then it broke my heart when the Colonels folded instead of going to the NBA. Didn't the Nets, Pacers, Spurs, and Nuggets pull some shenanigans and leave Kentucky out in the cold, or did John Y. Brown just not have any desire to continue with the franchise?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro

Seriously, though, the ABA rocked! The clothes, the red-white-blue ball, the hair, the 3-point shot, the team names...! It saddened me to see Dan Issel leave the Kentucky Colonels to play for the Nuggets, and then it broke my heart when the Colonels folded instead of going to the NBA. Didn't the Nets, Pacers, Spurs, and Nuggets pull some shenanigans and leave Kentucky out in the cold, or did John Y. Brown just not have any desire to continue with the franchise?
    I can't remember off the top of my head why KY didn't merge into the NBA. I'll check Terry Pluto's book when I get home tonight. You know who made out like a bandit in the merger? The guys who owned the StL team. They get a small percentage of every NBA TV deal forever. Not too shabby, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I imagine most of us who were around in the 70s had some clothes that would shock today. I had some beloved plaid pants with a burgundy and white pattern larger than Larry's. I'm glad there are no pictures of mine, though.

It's very strange how his exit from Detroit went. You'd think they'd want to try harder to keep a coach that took them to the Finals. You'd think Larry would want to stay in Detroit, since they had almost everybody coming back, while that Knicks team underwhelms and is still paying salary cap money to players from the Patrick Ewing era.

I guess the pic reinforces that Larry's judgment is not always sound.
    /r/reds

I think Larry is just a guy who gets wanderlust. He has to get a new job every few years or so. That's just how he is. I can't blame DET for letting him go since he always appears to be after another job. Perhaps he wants new challenges. He's definitely got one in NY and one arm tied behind his back because of his GM.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I had a shirt like this.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by macro

John Y. Brown took the money that was offered for a buyout and ran. If he had pressed the NBA he could have kept the franchise but took the cash. I have never followed pro basketball the same since.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    John Y. Brown took the money that was offered for a buyout and ran. If he had pressed the NBA he could have kept the franchise but took the cash. I have never followed pro basketball the same since.
    John Y. Brown is the devil.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    Me, neither. Oh, I got into the Celtics-Lakers rivalry in the 80s, but have never followed pro ball on a game-by-game basis since the Colonels folded. I don't follow it at all, now. The last NBA game I watched start-to-finish was a game in the 1992 Finals, the Bulls against somebody. I kept some of the Finals games on this year as background noise, but some Finals in the recent past have come and gone without my seing a single dribble.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Perhaps he wants new challenges.
    There's also the matter of him getting the richest coaching contract in all of professional sports. That probably had something to do with it. Something tells me that Larry knew the number that would appear on his Knicks contract before he turned down the offer from Detroit.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    There's also the matter of him getting the richest coaching contract in all of professional sports. That probably had something to do with it. Something tells me that Larry knew the number that would appear on his Knicks contract before he turned down the offer from Detroit.
    I don't know about that. The rumor during the playoffs was him going to CLE. Sure, it is nice to have a deal like that but did he really need it? I'm sure he wasn't underpaid in DET.

What happened with Kentucky was that the NBA and especially Chicago owner Bill Wirtz didn't want them - or StL - in the league. Wirtz felt if KY folded, the Bulls would be able to get Artis Gilmore. The NBA told the ABA they'd take 4 teams or they wouldn't take any and there was no way the ABA could play another season. Also John Y. had had enough of the ABA and was willing to fold KY, but he wanted his price which was $3M. Then John Y. bought the Buffalo Braves for $1.5M.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Larry Brown grates on his players and then they quit on him, had he stayed in Detriot they would have quit on him next year. Rik Smits had a great quote on Brown "At first he pisses you off and you play harder but after a while he just pisses you off". Btw if you have any interest in the ABA read the book by Terry Pluto called Loose Balls its a great book.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?