Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Women Face DUI Charges ... For Pushing Car

Women Face DUI Charges ... For Pushing Car

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/irr...78/detail.html

PORTAGE, Ind. -- Drunken driving can also be drunken pushing -- at least to police in Portage, Ind.

Kaylyn Kezy and Melissa Fredenburg both face DUI charges after the car they were pushing crashed into a parked car. Police said the women took turns pushing the non-running car while the other steered.

After the accident, officers said both women tested with a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit.

Prosecutor Adam Burroughs admitted the case might be a tough one to prove in court. But he noted that the women were in effect operating the vehicle -- even though the car wasn't running at the time.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Women Face DUI Charges ... For Pushing Car

Pushed cars can go fast downhill. Steering = operating, IMO.
    /r/reds

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

The real question is would they be charged with anything if they hadn't hit another car. I mean if the cops found them pushing it on the side of the road then they would be fine I am sure. They probably ran into trouble when the cops asked them what happened and they were staggering/slurring their way through the conversation.

If they were blondes, they probably thought they were driving but couldn't figure out what happened to the back seat!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

They're really pushing things to get the number of DUI tickets up. That's absurd.
    They were not putting anyone's life in danger. IMO, they are responsible for the damage they did, but they were at least smart enough not to try to drive 70 MPH in tat state.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    They're really pushing things to get the number of DUI tickets up. That's absurd.
    They were not putting anyone's life in danger. IMO, they are responsible for the damage they did, but they were at least smart enough not to try to drive 70 MPH in tat state.
    Come on over here to Logan Co. if you want to see absurd violations involving alcohol. If they can't get you for a DUI, then there are a myriad of other alcohol-related ordinaces they can hit you with that is a great source of revenue for the city/county. I happen to know quite a few of the Sheriff deputies over here, and they even say it's downright absurd. They tell me about quotas that need to be reached, and again, because it's a great source of revenue for the city.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Come on over here to Logan Co. if you want to see absurd violations involving alcohol. If they can't get you for a DUI, then there are a myriad of other alcohol-related ordinaces they can hit you with that is a great source of revenue for the city/county. I happen to know quite a few of the Sheriff deputies over here, and they even say it's downright absurd. They tell me about quotas that need to be reached, and again, because it's a great source of revenue for the city.

Oh, I'll bet you do.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Co They tell me about quotas that need to be reached, and again, because it's a great source of revenue for the city.
    Yes, that's the problem. I admit that DUI was not enforced strong enough about 20 years ago, but now, it's an absurd witchhunt. As you say, it's a revenue generator for governments now. Burns me up when they twist a legitimate safety concern into a way to just randomly fine people.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

IMO the girls should not have been pushing the car while both clearly drunk. I don't think a conviction on DUI is appropriate, but the charges are. We will see what the judge/court does to sort it out.

I heard it was lowered to a "DWB"... Driving While Blonde

But give them credit - they could have been trying to pull it and got run over!

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Oh, I'll bet you do.
    Need I remind you of one young man with a trunk full of beer who almost ran a cop off the road?

Turn Off Ads?