Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest on Casey, Soriano, CIN-NYM-TEX talk

Post To Contact

Latest on Casey, Soriano, CIN-NYM-TEX talk

Latest update regarding this situation:

Although it's been recently said that Soriano had a "1/2 of 1% chance" of being traded, that now it looks very likely TEX will deal him by Sunday, according to things I've picked up that's been attributed to sources close to John Hart and the Rangers. The three-way trade including the Reds is still being floated around and there are several variations of it; some of the names I've seen linked to the Reds in some fashion or another include John Hudgins, Juan Dominguez and Adrian Gonzalez from TEX and Aaron Heilman, Jae Seo, Brian Bannister, Royce Ring and Victor Zambrano from NYM. Obviously, not all these names will be involved if something does indeed happen, but they are the names I've seen tossed around in different variations of it. Some of the players have even been linked as going to different teams in different variations (for instance, Heilman is going to TEX in some versions, CIN in others). I would think with NYM taking on all that salary (with both Soriano and Casey on the books for next year; not just "rentals" for this year), they would probably try to include Zambrano in the deal to one team or the other, to at least get some of the cash burden off their shoulders a little, though they would likely be dropping Cameron's salary in a potential deal.

I don't see Adrian Gonzalez being involved. There may be some thought that if he's involved, NYM might just as soon take him instead of Casey for 1B and save the payroll a little. The Reds probably wouldn't acquire him in the potential deal because if they were to move Casey, it would finally solve the outfield glut problem, unless they turned around and dealt one anyway, which is possible. Then I could see Gonzalez involved in going to CIN. Truth be told, if Adrian Gonzalez gets dealt in the coming week, I would actually expect it to be to BAL, as the Rangers have shown interest in taking Sidney Ponson from the O's now that the Nevin trade as officially fallen through.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Luckily, the Mets seem to be seeking a high average guy, and that's why they are pretty high on getting Case. If it goes down as a three-team deal with these three teams, I could see it working as something along the lines of this:

NYM gets: Alfonso Soriano, Sean Casey
    TEX gets: Mike Cameron, Yusmeiro Petit, Victor Zambrano (maybe Royce Ring or Jae Seo also)
    CIN gets: John Hudgins or Juan Dominguez + Aaron Heilman

I'm not saying this will happen, just saying, I could see something like this work out if it goes through as a three-team deal. Lots of crazy stuff could happen in the next few days, so we'll have to stay tuned.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Latest on Casey, Soriano, CIN-NYM-TEX talk

Aaron Heilman + moving Sean Casey's contract. I'd be awfully impressed.

The Mets are so dumb sometimes.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Aaron Heilman + moving Sean Casey's contract. I'd be awfully impressed.

The Mets are so dumb sometimes.
    Shhhh! Be bery bery quiwet, we're hunting Metropolitans.

I would be more than pleased if the Reds could grab Brian Bannister in return for Casey. 2.56 era/1.08 whip, 27bb/94 k and 11 homeruns allowed in 109 innings at double-A. Recently promoted to AAA and owns a 3.55 era in two starts there.

Heilman and Gonzalez would be servicable returns too.

I really don't see why the Mets are even considering adding Casey to the deal, especially if they'd have to dump Zambrano to balance the books. I can see them trying to get Soriano, but why Casey (unless the Reds took a bad contract from them).

Of course, I'm not going to complain if it happens.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

"Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

1B has been a disaster for two years with the Mets. If they do not have to give up Milledge its a good deal for them. They are mostly giving up parts they do not want or can't use because of crowding. Their crowded rotation is getting even more crowded with Trachsel returning. I like the Reds unloading the contract and getting Heilman plus. Its a pretty good deal all around because Texas does not want to pay Soriano next year. The Reds need to collect young arms and hope some workout. Heilman is nice because he's reasonably young but has pitched a few innings so he is not as green. Its nice to get an arm that is reasonably close to its prime rather old or still too young for an immediate impact.

Ex-Tree

Wheels:

Is your avatar Debbie Harry?

Big Donkey, your proposed deal would be unbelievable for the Reds. If somehow we could also acquire Adrian Gonzalez, it would be a career-making move for DanO
    Go BLUE!!!

That trade is just too good, and makes too much sense for the REDS to do it. Besides, Casey's the mayor!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Argos
    Wheels:

Is your avatar Debbie Harry?
    Yes.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

got alil captain in u?

it's hard to tell whether soriano's going to get traded or not one day i hear he is one day he's not i heard on sportscenter or baseball tonite that the rangers owner is very fond of soriano

The latest update:

Posted Wednesday, July 27, 9:25 p.m.: The Rangers' Alfonso Soriano, along with Mets prospects Lastings Milledge and Carlos Gomez, were all pulled from the lineup before their respective games on Wednesday evening. That's all the information I have right now, but it could be a sign that something is happening.

Soriano is in the Rangers lineup this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I really don't see why the Mets are even considering adding Casey to the deal, especially if they'd have to dump Zambrano to balance the books. I can see them trying to get Soriano, but why Casey (unless the Reds took a bad contract from them).

Of course, I'm not going to complain if it happens.
    I think that you would.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Turn Off Ads?