Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving early

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Leaving early

For starters, this story has nothing to do with the trading deadline or Adam Dunn. Anyway, we have to go back a few years on this one, 1994 to be exact. I was living over in Kentucky back then, in an apartment out in Erlanger. I worked a third shift job, so I would go to a lot of day games or night games on my off nights. I didn't have a car in those days, so I often would ride the bus home from the games. This particular game was a Friday night against the Expos. The Reds tied it late and went into extras. I was nervously looking at my watch, realizing that if the game went too long, I might miss the last bus out of downtown. By the 12th inning, I had a decision to make. I had to leave then to catch that bus, but the game wasn't over. I concurred that since I only lived eight miles from the stadium and it was a pleasant night out, I could just walk home if I missed the bus. The walk would only take a couple hours and I didn't really have anything better to do.

So Reggie Sanders sent me on my trek with a walk off bomb in the bottom of the 13th and off I was. I walked across the bridge, through Covington, and out to Pike Street and up the hill to Dixie Highway. I got up the hill into Ft. Wright and decided that I would stop for a snack and a soft drink to keep me company, and I wandered into a Shell gas station for a coke and a couple candy bars. I was a very healthy eater in those days. By this time, I've been walking for about an hour and a half and it was now close to 2:00 am. There also happened to be a police officer who thought it was somewhat odd to see someone taking a stroll down Dixie Highway at 2:00 am drinking a coke and eating a candy bar, so he stopped to see what was up. I said, "No problem. I'm just on my way home from the Reds game." He gave me a weird look and said, "That game got over an hour and a half ago. Why are you walking." I explained that I didn't have a car and that I had missed the last bus to see the end of the game and he didn't like that answer too much and asked to see my I.D.

Now wouldn't you know that he just had to take my I.D. and run it through his cop computer to see if I was up to anything, and apparently I was up to something because he came back out and put the cuffs on me and took me back down to Covington. I was asking him what was up because I had never done anything and he just kept repeating that there was a warrant out for me and he was taking me in. I asked him what the warrant was for and he said that it was from the Kenton County library. I then remembered something. It turns out that when I have moved out of an apartment a couple years before, I had left a couple library books in a closet and the landlord had turned one of them back in but the other one remained missing. The darn library issued a warrant for my arrest because I had a library book checked out for over two years!

So there I was, sitting in a holding cell with a cast of characters I will never forget. Most of them were drunk and sleeping, but a couple of them were awake. One of them had bruises on his face and he told me, "My old lady beat me up and I'm the one who gets arrested." I kept my distance. One of them asked me what I was brought in for and I said, "Overdue library book." That elicited much laughter and made me the hit of the holding cell, at least until they figured out I didn't have any smokes anyone could borrow. When we went to see the judge at 8:00 am, he took one look at my case and just laughed. He dismissed all charges and told me to just be sure to go to the library and pay them for the book.

Is there a point to this story? Maybe, but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what it is. Maybe it is to illustrate what we will go through for baseball sometimes. Maybe it's to show you why you should return your library books. Or maybe it's to say that you should always be sure of your transportation home when you go to a night game. Or maybe it's this. Never leave a game early. You never know what will happen if you stay 'til the end.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Leaving early

I think the moral of the story is being a hopeless Reds fan will get you arrested in Kentucky.

Great story ORH.

Was the the Group W bench at the jail?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    One of them asked me what I was brought in for and I said…
    "Crime and Punishment." They all kept their distance after that. The end.

Makes all the routine posts.

For a Level Playing Field

That is a great story! Thanks for sharing and making me smile. Sorry that you had to spend the night in the drunk tank, but years later it is definitely a great tale to tell.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    That is a great story! Thanks for sharing and making me smile. Sorry that you had to spend the night in the drunk tank, but years later it is definitely a great tale to tell.

Well, it's funny now looking back, but I wasn't laughing at the moment.

I hope you learned your lesson. Return them library books. I have no problem with the government arresting/detaining criminals such as yourself. Now, excuse me, I just got some inside information on a stock deal, I stand to make 100 grand on it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I think the moral of the story is being a hopeless Reds fan will get you arrested in Kentucky.
    If so I'm in deep trouble

Good story ORG
    Go Gators!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

One of them asked me what I was brought in for ...
    "He shouldnt have said that about her... now his chalk line will haunt that sidewalk forever..."

(hindsight is 20/20)

Great story! I would have never thought you were such a felon! I grew up in Kentucky. I had better check to see if I have turned in all those Winnie The Pooh books I borrowed from the library when I was a youngster.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

As a grad student, I had a special card in the university that let me check out books for 3 or 4 months (I forget). Naturally, that led to much procrastination in returning them. On the last day of spring semester, I returned a whole carload of books. Apparently, the moron that shelved them didn't credit me for turning them back in.
    When I went back to the library on the following October, I was marked as having over $2000 in library fines The librarian wondered why I was even allowed to register. It took me 4 hours to pull all those books off the shelves and prove to them that they were all turned in and to get them to fix their system.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Seems being a speedy utility player on a hopeless Reds team can get you arrested there too.

Anyway, great story.

And when they asked what you were in for you should have said, cause I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Hey now..Freel deserved to be arrested

Poor ORH was taking his time reading some books
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Hey now..Freel deserved to be arrested
    Oh, I agree.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Libraries can't issue warrants for arrests. Mostly, we just give your SSN to collection agencies and ruin your credit.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?