Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Raisor's Pyth Thm of Baseball and the Nationals

Re: Raisor's Pyth Thm of Baseball and the Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Just wondering, is there any kind of base-running stat?

Something along the lines of average number of bases advanced per on-base opportunity? Removing HRs since trotting around the bases isn't hard. Also BBs.

I realize its dependent on the hitters behind you, but I would think that eventually, better base runners would advance more bases than lesser base runners.
    there's a bases aquired per plate appearance.
    BPA--Bases per plate appearance. The formula is (TB+BB+HBP+SB-CS-GIDP)/(AB+BB+HBP+SF)

and here are the top ten reds under the age of 25
    Code:
    BPA                             BPA    
    1    Eric Davis                 .688   
    2    Kal Daniels                .602   
    3    Frank Robinson             .601   
    4    Adam Dunn                  .596   
    5    Sam Crawford               .542   
    6    Bobby Tolan                .540   
    7    Sean Casey                 .528   
    8    Edd Roush                  .524   
    9    Vada Pinson                .524   
    10   Austin Kearns              .516

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have not read this entire thread so this may have been discussed already but I wonder what many of you stat guys ( who I think most of the time are correct but not always - I know that is hard for you to believe) think of Jose Guillen this year. I remember when he had his breakout year with Cincy that many of you said it wasn't real and that he would come back to earth. He would return to his average. Well he hasn't done that. How do you guys explain this. I want to make sure that you don't think I am trying to be smart about this because you guys are right a lot more than not. I am seriously wanting to know how you explain this.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    I have not read this entire thread so this may have been discussed already but I wonder what many of you stat guys ( who I think most of the time are correct but not always - I know that is hard for you to believe) think of Jose Guillen this year. I remember when he had his breakout year with Cincy that many of you said it wasn't real and that he would come back to earth. He would return to his average. Well he hasn't done that. How do you guys explain this. I want to make sure that you don't think I am trying to be smart about this because you guys are right a lot more than not. I am seriously wanting to know how you explain this.
    Actually, I noted that I expected Guillen to settle in right around the .850 OPS mark for a few years before his bat slows down.

2004- .849 OPS

He's at the tail end of one of his little hot streaks right now. When he goes through those two-week streaks, his OPS can rise and fall by as much as 40-50 points. I expect him to settle back in right around the same range as 2004 give or take a few points.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    That's not entirely true. Yes, a BB by Freel and another slower player may not be "equal", in the sense that Freel may be able to score on a double, where another player may not, but that's not exactly easily quantifiable. RC does take SB and CS into account, so it does contain those speed aspects that are easily quantifiable. Beyond that is a slippery slope. How do you call one player speedy? I mean what things can you objectively give that would give someone points for being speedy? You can't really, without it becoming incredibly subjective. This is what has to be avoided in analysis. SB and CS are sort of hard stats and can be (and are) taken into account, but nothing more can be done without it becoming subjective instead of objective.
    It gets back to the team concept of whether player is making optimal contribution to TEAM run scoring. Freel hitting leadoff and trying to hit homers and in so doing losing 100 points from OBP is not likely a good tradeoff. These "role on team"/"role in lineup" intangibles Runs Created formula has no way of knowing or adequately handling.

I mean if we agree that both Runs/RBIs are "team dependent" stats how could "Runs Created" be INDEPENDENT of the TEAM?

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr
    He's having a good year. It's very BA driven and he's only on pace to walk 33 times but if he continues to hit .315 then his OBP will be acceptable.

The thing you have to realize is that the year he was doing well for the Reds was the first year he'd ever hit like that and there was no historical data to indicate that it was anything other than an anomoly. Up until that time he had never hit above .270, so there was no reason to believe it was anything other than a mirage. History is littered with guys who hit .300 once but never walked enough to have a decent OBP.

Even knowing what we know now, I believe the Reds made the right choice in trading Guillen.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Vada Pinson hit like Guillen.. much better fielder, better young player.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I would imagine they were for the lava lamp and the water bird rocking thingy.
    I heard he's up for another one for teaching Jim Coombs how to play baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    It gets back to the team concept of whether player is making optimal contribution to TEAM run scoring. Freel hitting leadoff and trying to hit homers and in so doing losing 100 points from OBP is not likely a good tradeoff. These "role on team"/"role in lineup" intangibles Runs Created formula has no way of knowing or adequately handling.

I mean if we agree that both Runs/RBIs are "team dependent" stats how could "Runs Created" be INDEPENDENT of the TEAM?
    Optimal contribution to team run scoring? What is that? I have seen nothing you have said that is in anyway a minimization of a cost or a maximization of team run scoring. It is simply what you THINK a player should do in that position. Not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I heard he's up for another one for teaching Jim Coombs how to play baseball.
    No one taught Jim Coombs, he sprinted to first straight out of the womb.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    No one taught Jim Coombs, he sprinted to first straight out of the womb.
    After drawing a "soft walk" in the womb. So "Charlie Hustle" of him.

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

STILL waiting to hear BF explain why he was so mind-jarringly hopelessly wrong about the Washington Nationals offense.

Starts a thread about it. Calls out Raisor. Now won't address it.

C'mon. Let's hear it. If your view of the game is the right one, why were you so wrong about the Nats?

Everybody's waiting.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    STILL waiting to hear BF explain why he was so mind-jarringly hopelessly wrong about the Washington Nationals offense.

Starts a thread about it. Calls out Raisor. Now won't address it.

C'mon. Let's hear it. If your view of the game is the right one, why were you so wrong about the Nats?

Everybody's waiting.
    Don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Don't hold your breath.
    Oh, no worries there, ORH.

I'm just kinda amused that BF started a thread about a specific topic but refuses to address that specific topic.

If there were a record for thread hijacking by the thread starter, I'm pretty sure BF would hold it.

--Ted Williams

Achtung, BF. Achtung!
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

We shouldn't allow this thread to die until BF admits that he was a bit "off" on his original post in this thread.

Turn Off Ads?