Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hungry? US Open of Competitive Eating going on all weekend

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Hungry? US Open of Competitive Eating going on all weekend

On ESPN2 right now, and it's going to be showing for the next two weekends.

Nothing's funnier than watching people just stuff their faces as quickly as possible. Round 1's food was Cheese Fries.

Round 2 apparently will be Spaghetti

Mmmm....Hope you're hungry!

Chowin' down for cash
    ESPN will broadcast the "Alka-Seltzer US Open of Competitive Eating," which it bills as the most dramatic event in the history of competitive eating, for three nights starting this evening.
    The competition will air tonight, tomorrow and Saturday at 8 p.m.
    The epic one-on-one elimination tournament will whittle 32 eaters, including Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas of Alexandria, down to a single champion through five rounds of varying foods and duration. The three-episode event follows the trials and tribulations, and emotional highs and lows, of these competitors as they attempt to make it to the top of their chosen sport.
    The ESPN series, which is produced by the International Federation of Competitive Eating (IFOCE), also will feature the world's No. 1-ranked eater, Takeru Kobayashi of Japan, and 30 other elite eating champions competing for a total of $40,000 in prize money and the coveted Alka-Seltzer Cup.
    Oh well. All we can say is plop plop, fizz fizz.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 07-28-2005 at 10:57 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hungry? US Open of Competitive Eating going on all weekend

I watched the cheese fries last night, oh man was it disgusting.

I guess this is proof that ESPN will televise literally anything. There is clearly not enough going on in the world of sports to justify all of this programming.

The Grand Prize is $40,000 after stuffing yourself to unhealthfull levels for two weeks. They give more out on Wheel of Fortune in a half hour for solving a easy puzzle.

Living in America...... the spoils of the rich.

So, is ESPN piping this quality programming into the countries that are starving?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

So, is ESPN piping this quality programming into the countries that are starving?
    I would think if they are, the starving people don't have cable or a dish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I had the same thought when I surfed across this last night.

They should also show the pie eating contest from "Stand By Me".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Talk about going full circle.

ESPN started off filling time with Austrailian Rules Football and tractor pulls. They struggled to respectability, snagged MLB 5 nights a week, and captured quite an audience.

Now they're back to square one. Poker and eating contests. Moronic announcers and lame bits. I guess the least common denominator is their demographic, after all.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Talk about going full circle.

ESPN started off filling time with Austrailian Rules Football and tractor pulls. They struggled to respectability, snagged MLB 5 nights a week, and captured quite an audience.

Now they're back to square one. Poker and eating contests. Moronic announcers and lame bits. I guess the least common denominator is their demographic, after all.
    You know, I thought that too. There are (of course) baseball games going on all over the country, there are soccer games, WNBA games, rugby, cricket, whatever...a tremendous amount of sporting events they could choose to televise.

And yet we get the world Eating championships.

And Americans wonder why the world thinks we're pigs...

Turn Off Ads?