Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Most Beautiful place on Earth.

Re: The Most Beautiful place on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Me as well, The Valley floor is nice, but crowded and slammed with civilaization. The outer reaches are my prefred destination.
    I've never even been to the vallye floor but I love the northern slice. Actually, just north of the park's boundary is the Sonora Pass and it's one of the most incredibly places I've ever seen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The nice part about the grand canyon and bryce canyon is that they can be part of the same trip. Also, the road from Durango, CO to Silverton, CO is absolutely beautiful. I've never taken the train, but the drive is just great.

Durango, CO to Silverton, CO is absolutely beautiful.
    Yeah it's a beauty, some scary roads too.

A couple of years ago in October I drove to Moab from Portland, over to Durango, up to Yellowstone and then back through Idaho. I got to Moab and had 4 days alone with my bike, then my wife flew in and we continued on. Great time of year for all those areas.

Yeah it's a beauty, some scary roads too.

A couple of years ago in October I drove to Moab from Portland, over to Durango, up to Yellowstone and then back through Idaho. I got to Moab and had 4 days alone with my bike, then my wife flew in and we continued on. Great time of year for all those areas.
    That would be a great trip, WOY. Actually, I would have to list the Portland area in the prettiest places I have ever visited as well. I was there for a conference about 2 months ago, and had time to go to the coast one day, and then make a trip to Mt Hood and while along the way take in the Columbia River Gorge and some of the falls along that route. Some nice little hikes. Not bad for only having 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    That would be a great trip, WOY. Actually, I would have to list the Portland area in the prettiest places I have ever visited as well. I was there for a conference about 2 months ago, and had time to go to the coast one day, and then make a trip to Mt Hood and while along the way take in the Columbia River Gorge and some of the falls along that route. Some nice little hikes. Not bad for only having 2 days.
    Yeah it is, I'm trying to get away this week and go riding on Mt Hood. If all goes as expected I can get that in tommorrow.

The trail will look like this

I camped at Bryce once, tented up in the pitch black, came out and saw something like this.

Great Place.

Glad to know you are not a sleepwalker....ouch!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

About 10 years ago I was able to visit a place. Many hiking trips were taken. The (unfortunately, rather poor quality) picture you see is from one of those trips. On another hike, my group went up the side of a hill, and when we got to the top, it was like the world opened up and looking out you could see nothing but mountains in every direction, of every color. The single most beautiful sight I've ever had, and it's still etched in my memory as if it happened yesterday.

The place is Alaska, my friends. And if you ever get the chance to go there, you go there. Nothing else will ever come close.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Hmmm, time to dust this thread off a bit.

Got back from the Black Hills as well as northeast Wyoming last week. Gorgeous area. I especially loved the Wyoming countryside, especially along Hwy 24. Not so much Devils Tower itself (although its impressive), but the whole setting. I wanted to stop and take a picture at every vantage point. I really felt I was in the old west.
    The area north of Belle Fouche, South Dakota was pretty desolate however. Impressive in its own way, but depressing if you're not in the right frame of mind (my wife gave way tears a couple of times along the stretch, although in here defense, she was really tired at the time. ) Nothing but bleak open prairie and buttes.

Next time I'm in Wyoming, I'll be heading to Yellowstone for sure.

Edit: Shame I cannot show some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    The nice part about the grand canyon and bryce canyon is that they can be part of the same trip. Also, the road from Durango, CO to Silverton, CO is absolutely beautiful. I've never taken the train, but the drive is just great.
    My wife and I, pre-kids, drove to The Grand Canyon in 1990. Words cannot express how awesome it was, nor can mere photographs-it has to be seen.
    I also agree about the drive around Durango. After going through Monument Valley and feeling as if I was in a John Ford directed western starring John Wayne, we drove to Durango, and then on to Grand Junction, CO-breathtaking scenery. I'd still like to ride the train.
    San Francisco is the most beautiful city I've ever been in.
    I also agree with my near namesake in the prior post. I was in the Black Hills and eastern Wyoming in 1979 and loved the area. I just wish I had been able to go on to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Teton National Park gets the nod for me. I've been there four times and am in awe every time. The drive into Jackson Hole from either the west or the south is the most beautiful drive possible as it follows right along the snake river. I've been there in the winter, fall, and spring. The fall there is amazing.

Bryce canyon is close. When I was 13, my family went on the second of two vacations we ever went on. We drove (our entire family of 6) from Cincinnati to Los Angeles to visit with my dad's sister and her family. It was an awesome vacation. When we were driving home, we planned on taking a week and going north into yellowstone, etc... We stopped to visit Bryce and when we got about 2 miles away, our van lost all its oil pressure. Turn out the head gasket was blown. They had to tow the van clear to Provo, Utah where were stuck for 5 days in a crappy hotel and didn't get to see anything else the entire trip because we had to go straight home once the van was fixed. Actually, the Provo area wasn't that bad. We hiked up Mt. Timpanogas one day which was beautiful. Then we hiked up some mountain with a big Y painted on it.

Those pics of Bryce bring it all back.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron
    Hmmm, time to dust this thread off a bit.

Got back from the Black Hills as well as northeast Wyoming last week. Gorgeous area. I especially loved the Wyoming countryside, especially along Hwy 24. Not so much Devils Tower itself (although its impressive), but the whole setting. I wanted to stop and take a picture at every vantage point. I really felt I was in the old west.
    The area north of Belle Fouche, South Dakota was pretty desolate however. Impressive in its own way, but depressing if you're not in the right frame of mind (my wife gave way tears a couple of times along the stretch, although in here defense, she was really tired at the time. ) Nothing but bleak open prairie and buttes.

Next time I'm in Wyoming, I'll be heading to Yellowstone for sure.

Edit: Shame I cannot show some pictures.
    I love the black hills, I went there a couple of years ago... hiked up Bear Butte in the middle of the prarie, stayed in Badlands too.

Didn't make me misty though... the plains gives me the chills.

FWIW there is a great book on the plains called "Great Plains" by Ian Frazier.. it's an essay type of book about diffrent areas from the Dakotas down to Oklahoma. Really good stuff.

The wife and I our planning a jaunt down the Oregon coast and down into Redwood National Park in thhe next few weeks. The Coast here is rugged and beautiful, and Redwood has the 330 foot tall trees.

When you stand next to a tree like this you know you're small.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    ....I also agree with my near namesake in the prior post....
    Yikes! I had no idea there was already a long standing member with a "Red(s)Baron" moniker, otherwise I would have selected something else. Sorry 'bout that.

I choose "RedBaron" because that was my nickname as a kid (as it rhymes with my first name). Oh well.

When you stand next to a tree like this you know you're small.

Wow, a picture of Danny Graves next to a tomato plant.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Wow, a picture of Danny Graves next to a tomato plant.
    Danny introduces himself to a new teammate and his wife.

Turn Off Ads?