Thread: Has anyone seen this re:Griffey

Has anyone seen this re:Griffey

Just got home..saw no related threads...Griffey has kicked it up a notch

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8829546/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Has anyone seen this re:Griffey

Jr. is gone.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Something sounds bogus to me.

got alil captain in u?

that's wat i thought corkedbat i don't believe this there's been nottin on any other websites or on tv about it

I find this to be almost impossible to believe. I think Jr. was either being sarcastic, or this is just complete BS. It just doesn't seem like something he would say.

It is quite odd.

Could be interesting though. Do you really think the Red Sox or Yankees would allow Griffey to go all the way through waivers to the White Sox?

Or do they really think the Reds might actually let him go for nothing, so they wouldn't claim him?

I can believe he'd want to go to the White Sox. Remember guys, he loved Seattle too. His wife was from there, etc. But he thought Seattle ownership wasn't commited to bringing in the pitching needed to win. Now, he's been with the Reds for 5 years and they haven't been competitive at all (other than the first part of 2000, they were sort of contending until they dealt Neagle).

The guy has made no secret that he wants to win a ring before he retires. He's not going to do that here. It's totally logical that he'd want to be traded to a contender.
    I don't know if he's going to put the heat on the Reds to get it done, but I'm sure he'd be easily talked into waiving his 10/5 to go to a contender.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33
    It is quite odd.

Could be interesting though. Do you really think the Red Sox or Yankees would allow Griffey to go all the way through waivers to the White Sox?

Or do they really think the Reds might actually let him go for nothing, so they wouldn't claim him?
    I don't think anybody is going to risk inheriting that contract on a waiver claim. The remaining years @ 12 million per with half of it deferred @ 4% plus a 4 million buyout on the option year should scare anyone off, even the Yankees.

And what about the already earned deferred money, if you get him on waivers, does that obligation come with him or does it stay with the Reds? All this would be, negociable in a trade but not in a waiver claim. It would be whatever the rules say. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I can believe he'd want to go to the White Sox. ...The guy has made no secret that he wants to win a ring before he retires.
    the "ring" is the only thing missing on his resume. While it has no bearing on the HOF I doubt Jr would call his career a complete success without one. Time is running out and for Jr, getting dealt to a contender at the deadline may be his best chance.

knowing the way griff talks, he was probably joking around, he likes to do that. but if true, i hope so, i want to see him win.

also, like i said before. no deal that doesnt involve mcarthy. and hopefully young

I would think the 700 anti JR brigade would be all over the airwaves if this were a serious demand.
    Go Gators!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Looks like the same story about the Wsox trade but with more hyped up journalism...

Man if this is true and he does want traded after all the bad stuff that he has put us threw with all the injurys then I see the fans really turning their backs on JR.We have watched him fail here for 3-4 years in Cincy and now that he is FINALLY having a good year he wants to be traded.

I say trade him then our outfield will finally be set the way it should have been with Dunn,Kearns,and Pena.

BYE GRIFFEY!!!!!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Griffey: "I have control. The Reds and Chicago have to make a deal."

Translation- Chicago Version: "I want to be traded to the Chicago White Sox."

Translation- Reality Verson: "I can't consider or comment on how I'd use my 10-and-5 rights until the Reds and White Sox actually present a trade option to me."

---End Translation---

Really, the story posted appears to me to be an amalgam of a number of comments made about a potential trade that was accepted by both teams and was shot down by the Reds ownership before they ever approached Griffey about waiving his 10-and-5 rights in order to move to that team. Those high-level approvals happen all the time in regard to 10-and-5 rights and no-trade clauses before players (and their agents) are ever contacted about waiving their rights (see: Kenny Rogers, Phil Nevin).

There's no "demand" present unless you're a White Sox fan eating up what the media is attempting to feed you via dishonest headline.

What I find really silly (and always have) is the following quote:

Dan O'Brien: "My reaction is short and sweet," O'Brien told the newspaper. "Throughout July we had no conversations with Griffey or his agent about his 10-and-5 status, and that says it all."

First, that was said WAY before 8/11/05. Second, it doesn't "say it all". The fact that O'Brien had no "conversations" about Griffey's 10-and-5 rights says nothing other than there wasn't an ownership-approved trade that would have necessitated a conversation with Griffey (or his agent) about waiving his 10-and-5 rights. That doesn't, at all, mean there wasn't a deal in place. It just means that the deal never got past the top rung of the organization food chain.

But you'll note that O'Brien never said that the Reds didn't have conversations with the White Sox. You'll also note that O'Brien never stated a deal wasn't in place. All he said was that a deal wasn't presented to Griffey. That's true, of course, because the deal never got past Lindner. O'Brien technically didn't lie. But he also didn't exactly respect anyone when he positioned obfuscation as a "short and sweet" answer.

Slimy, he is.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Looks like the same story about the Wsox trade but with more hyped up journalism...
    Exactly. Same story and same quotes with the emphasis on "wanting to go," which he never said once. Good old MSNBC...not.

I got a kick out of the WGN guys last night promoting the Griffey trade to the Sox for some reason. They were absolutely giddy about the prospect of Junior going to the Sox. Strange. Not having to face him when we play the Cubs was probably the main reason.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?