Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Merged threads: I believe / Are the Reds out of it?

Re: I believe

Quote Originally Posted by big boy
    The Reds are 10 games behind in the wild-card standings with 57 games left. I think they have a shot.

Anybody with me?
    No, because that would mean O'Brien and Narron would be back next year and we would have a rerun of the first half of the first half of this year. Personally, I can't take that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let's say it takes 92-70 to get the wildcard. The Reds would have to go 45-12 the rest of the way. Even if we lower the estimate to 88-74 for the wildcard, it still would take 41-16. Sorry, it ain't gonna happen. As others have already said, they'll do very well to go 34-23 the rest of the way and finish .500.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy
    The Reds are 10 games behind in the wild-card standings with 57 games left. I think they have a shot.

Anybody with me?
    NO SHOT. to go on LONG streaks, 1 like the a's are on, you have to have a lot of good starters. if you are an off team, you have to have like 4 or 5 guys get hot all at once. just not likely. and the only reason we are on the streak we are on is cause we played such a horrible off team in sd. do i think we will play 500 or better ball the rest of the way? yes. but we arent leapfrogging all the teams we have to

Quote Originally Posted by fs43340
    No, because that would mean O'Brien and Narron would be back next year and we would have a rerun of the first half of the first half of this year. Personally, I can't take that.
    im with you. this is just like most years. play just well enough to give hope for next year. keeping all the morons in place. the best thing that could have happened, whether we want it or not, would have been a REALLY bad year. so we can get all these losers canned

Only five teams have been 15 games under .500 at one point in the season and come back to be 10 games over .500. This years A's are the 5th, last year the Astros did it. 2 escape me and the other one was the Miracle Braves of 1914.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    2 escape me
    Jerk. How could you?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I believe the Bengals will make the playoffs this year. What'll that get me?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    A ride on your Uncles Bus?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    A glass of kool aid?

4-12
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    This team will be lucky to end its season at 11 under .500 (which is where they are now). I agree the Braves will stomp our guts...again, which will, in turn, begin a new losing skid.

I would not be so quick to say that the Reds are going to get killed by the Braves. Granted they have the second best record in the league, but we don’t have to face Smoltz and Hudson. Back in June when we played them Sosa pitched well but only was able to go 4.1/3 innings, Ramirez allowed five earned runs and eight hits in six innings, and Davies gave up five earned runs in 4 1/3 innings. If and granted it is a big if our pitching keeps us in the game I think we have a legit shot at beating the Braves.
    Last edited by as_v_1; 08-02-2005 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    My heart says I'm with you, my head says you're nuts! I'm just hoping to make a run at the Brewers and fight it out for third in the division.

(For you Cub fans, they're going to sleep with the Pirates--Nomar or No Nomar, and that's no knock on Wood, but we've all had Prior knowledge of their Dusty tricks.)

Quote Originally Posted by larryboy
    Focus on .500 first and how to build a pitching staff for 2006.
    Agreed. But, I will say this. This time last year, the wheels had already fallen off. This season, this time, there is room for hope. Maybe not for this season, though striving for .500 is a reason to watch as opposed to last season, but for next season. This offense is sick. Can we find the pitching to help? Between today and spring, we will see. Should be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    A glass of kool aid?

4-12
    Negative vibes!
    Can't you see that tiny, dim little light at the end of this fifteen year long tunnel? It's the sun, reflecting off Mike's shiny head...or the hood of his Chevy Lumina. That, or it's Marvin with a flashlight, showing him where his keys are.

Anyway, sure, I'm a believer, but I also don't want the Reds to play over their heads for the rest of the year so that the FO goes into the off season thinking that they will compete with the sorry rotation they brought in this year.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I suppose the strategy this year is better than last year. Last year we did all our winning early and then coasted into football season. This year, the Reds were crappy early and now are doing winning towards the end of the season. It's kind of like the Bengals from a few years ago. They would always only win 4 or 5 games, but 3 of those wins would come in the last 4 or 5 games so it would give everyone the false impression that the team would be competitive the next year. Guess it's better to have some hope for next going into the offseason. Honestly, with another emergence/acquisition of a solid starting pitcher, we might not be as far away from at least being competitive as we think next year.

Adam believes.

Real test awaits Reds
    By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

So, Cincinnati Reds fans, allow yourself some premature exuberation, then hunker down for this week's reality check.

The Atlanta Braves are coming, after winning six of their last seven games and wearing a name tag that says, "Legitimate First-Place Team."

The Reds came home from San Diego with a five-game winning streak tucked in the equipment bag, thanks to a schedule that permitted them to play the San Diego Padres in the best-of-times.

San Diego, leaders of the National League West for most of the season, was in first place when the Reds hit town, but they should have been wearing name tags that said, "Worst First-Place Team."

They are four games under .500, they were swept three games by the Reds, they have lost 12 of 13, their fans cheer mockingly when they draw a walk, but they remain tied for first place.

So Padres fans can stick out their tongues at Reds fans and say, "So there."

Adam Dunn hit three home runs in San Diego's Petco Park, a place where the Padres say their home runs die at the warning track. The Reds hit eight during the three-game series, the Padres none.

Dunn believes The Real Reds are showing up.

"I knew before the All-Star break we were going to come back and play well," said Dunn. "You can see we're relaxing now with the pressures off people. You can just go out and play now. That's what everyone is doing now and everybody's numbers in the second half reflect that."

Since the All-Star break, the Reds are 12-5, the third best record in the majors behind Oakland and Houston.

This is Atlanta's second visit this season to Great American Ball Park & Home Run Haven. They took three of four from the Reds in mid-May, but neither team is the same. Both are better.

Despite near-zero participation in trade activities, the Reds are a much different baseball team than the one the Braves beat up.

Gone is manager Dave Miley. Gone is pitching coach Don Gullett. Gone is second baseman D'Angelo Jimenez. Gone is closer Danny Graves. Gone is No. 1 starter Paul Wilson. Gone is third baseman Joe Randa.

Jerry Narron is manager and Vern Ruhle is pitching coach. Ryan Freel and Rich Aurilia are the second basemen, depending on how high the moon and how deep the river that day. David Weathers and Kent Mercker share the closing duties, depending on how deep the river and how high the moon that day.

Luke Hudson is in the rotation and the bullpen is populated by names like Jason Standridge, Brian Shackelford, Randy Keisler and Todd Coffey. Edwin Encarnacion is at third base and Felipe Lopez is entrenched at shortstop.

The Reds traded Randa to the Padres eight days before the trade deadline and while general manager Jim O'Brien listened to overtures for Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn, Wily Mo Pena, Kent Mercker and David Weathers, he did nothing more.

That, though, doesn't mean he is finished. O'Brien hinted that trades could be made in August and even September, although players now have to go through waivers.

"Sometimes people don't appreciate the fact that the trade deadline doesn't preclude opportunities from unfolding in August or even September," he said. "We're always looking to improve but sometimes the timing of a trade may not be appropriate. It might have to be something in the off-season."

Now the team has four outfielders who want to play every day and an infielder, Rich Aurilia, who wants to play every day. And that won't happen, creating possible clubhouse turmoil.

For now, though, it is time to see how the rejuvenated Reds fare against a real first-place team.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?