Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will you go to watch Junior slug to 550 & 600?

Will you go to watch Junior slug to 550 & 600?

Will you go to see Junior hit his way to the 550 & 600 homer milestones? The reason I ask, is based upon a thread on the other board started by M2. Basically mentioning the possibilities of trading/unloading the likes of Junior, Casey and Milton as they'll all more than likely pass thru waivers.

Certainly the 500 homer mark was something special, fans packed the park, and the countdown to 500 marker in center field was fun to watch as the days (and homers) past by. Assuming Junior can stay healthy, 550 should come sometime next summer, while 600 should come sometime the following year.

If the Reds hold onto him, will there be the same runup in attendance that we saw last year? I know the 600 homer mark will be special (as well as 700 should that ever come into play like we all thought it would). What about 550? I wonder if they have any countdown markers in plan. He's just shy of 525, a nice countdown from 525 to 550, then up to 600 may help draw a couple of folks into GABP.

I liked the way that San Fran did it, putting up everyone else's homer totals, while counting down as Barry passed them by. Junior is in some rare air right now, and assuming health, perhaps a large assumption, should be by passing some of the legends of the game every month or so. It will be interesting to see how the organization handles this opportunity to draw fans into the stadium. Of course if this organization would draw the most fans if it ever put a winning ball club on the field, but that sadly seems to be several years away, if ever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will you go to watch Junior slug to 550 & 600?

I'd like to go see him when he goes into Coopestown.

600 sure..550? nah I don't like half numbers
    Go Gators!

I would not necessarily go because a particular HR is coming up but I would go simply to see him play if it's a plausable situation for me.

Rem

Homerun number 550 won't be a big deal. It will be a nice milestone, but it won't be nationally celebrated like 600 will/would.

And yes, if he does approach 600 and is home when he does it....I WILL be there.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Another thought, what would it take for Junior to go into the hall of fame as a Red? Most would agree that he's a lock for the hall. However, if his career ended after this year, he'd probably go in as a mariner. What would it take for him to enter the hall as a Red? Would hitting 600 as a Red get him in as a Red? Certainly winning a world series, or even leading the team into postseason play would help. I don't think Junior has much national identity as a Red right now, however a trip or 2 into the postseason would help that.

Short of him hitting 60 3 years in a row I don't think there is any chance of him not going in as a Mariner.

We'll be lucky to get "He also played for the Reds" on the plaque
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by medford
    Another thought, what would it take for Junior to go into the hall of fame as a Red?
    Winning a ring in Cincy?

NO. never been the type of person to go to a game just so i could say i was there when so and so did this. or to just watch someone chase a mark. i go cause i like watching the team, a player, etc

I'll try to be there for 600. I went last year when he was sitting on 499, it was pretty awesome seeing thousands of flash bulbs going off on every pitch.

I was there when he hit 300 and 400 but missed 500 so I'll definately make 600

Quote Originally Posted by fielder's choice
    I'll try to be there for 600. I went last year when he was sitting on 499, it was pretty awesome seeing thousands of flash bulbs going off on every pitch.
    I was there for the first 2 games of the Texas series and it was a special time. Work wouldn't let me go for the Thursday afternoon game.

In the second game, he hit a flyball to center that looked off his bat like it might have a chance to go. I'd never heard it so loud in that park then when he hit that flyout to the track in center. It was truely a good time. The Reds wound up sweeping the series, so all was not lost in the quest for 500.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I will be at #600 when the time comes, if he's still a red.....and if its at home...... Absolutely.

I sure hope he is a red then and I expect him to be, and I know he'll get to hit, I just hope its at GABP

I will be there for Dunn's 400, 500, 600 and 700 if DOB and the FO brass gives me the chance. I am dunns biggest fan, I have to be there.

I don't get fans who care more about watching a milestone than seeing the game. I know there's a ton of them out there, but for the life of me I can't understand the thought process. Strikes me the same as ignoring the scenery to watch the odometer.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Milestones like 600 HRs are more significant in the history of baseball than just about any regular season game could be, given that so few players reach them. People come to the park prepared to be part of "history in the making." The game becomes an event, and there is a flow to the energy in the ballpark that peaks with, in this case, each of Jr's ABs. Every swing elicits gasps. Then, if he manages to hit it, the place explodes.

It's spectator energy that borders on being participatory, given the adrenalin rush. No surprise to me that people want some of that.

Turn Off Ads?