Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will you go to watch Junior slug to 550 & 600?

Re: Will you go to watch Junior slug to 550 & 600?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I don't get fans who care more about watching a milestone than seeing the game. I know there's a ton of them out there, but for the life of me I can't understand the thought process. Strikes me the same as ignoring the scenery to watch the odometer.
    Some personal accomplishments celebrate the game of baseball. Cal Ripken in 1994 I believe broke the record set by Lou Gerig. That was a personal accomplishment. But at the same time, it sort of took the game back to what it once was.....you had to tar and feather a player to get him out of the lineup. It's not that way anymore, just look at Manny Ramirez.

In 1998, Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa achieved personal accomplishments. But they really rescued the game of baseball, bringing many fans back from the strike. They renewed interest in the game.

In 2001, Barry Bonds broke McGuire's record. This came just weeks after September 11. People were looking on a milestone to clamp onto just to direct attention away from the horror in New York for a few hours.

Ken Griffey has been through hell in his 5+ years in a Reds uniform. He has fought and clawed to get healthy enough to continue playing the game he loves when he could have taken his millions to Orlando and retired. When he returns to form through hard work and accomplishes a major milestone like that, why not go show your appriciation?

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with going to see a player go for a milestone. Milestones don't happen very often. It's neat to tell your grandchildren that you saw Ken Griffey, Jr.'s 600th homerun. Now sure, you're going to have people that show up for the sole purpose of seeing that, but I'd say for the most part from my experience last year that most of the crowd in attendence was focused on the game as well.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't get fans who care more about watching a milestone than seeing the game. I know there's a ton of them out there, but for the life of me I can't understand the thought process. Strikes me the same as ignoring the scenery to watch the odometer.
    I dont think just because someone wants to see a milestone, that means they dont care about the game.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I don't know anybody that won't take a peak at the odometer when it ready to turn over 100,000 or 200,000 miles.

I can miss the scenary for 1/10 of a mile having seen the other 99,999 9/10s of it.

GL

I don't care so much about watching a milestone, such as when Maddux was in town and could have reached his 3,000th strikeout against the Reds.

But Junior is one of my favorite players, and I'd want to be there just to cheer him on and show my support. It's not every day one of my favorite players hits his 600th home run.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I don't know anybody that won't take a peak at the odometer when it ready to turn over 100,000 or 200,000 miles.

I can miss the scenary for 1/10 of a mile having seen the other 99,999 9/10s of it.

GL
    I agree about 100,000, but we're talking about homer 550 in this thread as well and I'm at a loss as to why I'd by a ticket based on #550 anymore than #549 or #551. In fact #549 means a little more because it puts you ahead of Michael Jack Schmidt.

BTW, I'm not saying Redszone fans are the type who care more about milestones than the game. We're atypical baseball nutjobs. It's why we're here. But there's no doubt that a lot of people showed up to watch Jr. poke #500 and then retreated into the woodwork. They do care more about sideshow events than the game.

Anyway, the things that usually control what games I go to are how much money I've got in pocket (living in Boston makes this more of an issue), do I have the time free, who's pitching and who the visiting team is. I wouldn't buy a ticket for an incremental homer milestone. We're not talking about 74 HR in a season or going past Hank Aaron here. IMO, it's the difference between a truly memorable event and a somewhat overhyped one.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

NastyBoys1990

I'll be there when he cracks 756

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

There are many players for Griff to pass on his way to 600. Those are each more significant milestones than 550.

Code:
    Sammy Sosa  587
    Frank Robinson  586
    Mark McGwire  583
    Harmon Killebrew  573
    Rafael Palmeiro  568
    Reggie Jackson  563
    Mike Schmidt  548
    Mickey Mantle  536
    Jimmie Foxx   534
    Ken Griffey Jr.  524
    /r/reds

All right, I'm bumping this back to the top. As I suspected, and most indicated, there is very little (if any) buzz w/ Junior about to get to 550. W/ the way he's been swinging the bat, it could happen on this homestand if he continues to play.

However, onto the other question originally posted, should the Reds put up some counter similar to SF to count down the names that Junior is clicking past on the all time homer list? I guess it goes against the team concept, but it sure was fun to watch the countdown in center field as he approached 500.

I don't know how big a milestone 550 is. Once he passes Jackson and moves into the top 10 all time I could see counters marking him nearing the next person on the list.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Turn Off Ads?