Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What sport do you play?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baseball

6 16.22%
  • Basketball

6 16.22%
  • Bowling

3 8.11%
  • Golf

11 29.73%
  • Softball

13 35.14%
  • Tennis

6 16.22%
  • Volleyball

5 13.51%
  • Other

12 32.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you still play a sport?

How many of you still play a sport?

It's pretty obvious that most people on this board played some baseball at some level. But as time goes by most people gravitate to other sports or stop playing any sport at all.

After college I played racquetball for awhile, tinkered with golf and played in a volleyball league. Eventually I took up tennis and, thirty years later I'm still playing that sport. Until I took my current job I played 3-4 times per week; now I play 3-4 times per month but I still love to get on the court any chance I can.

I'm curious how many zoners are actively involved in a sport and how often they get to play it.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How many of you still play a sport?

I coach boys high school tennis and also give tennis lessons. I play in USTA tournaments, at the 4.5 level, although it's been a year since I've done one. I'm thinking about joining an adult indoor league this winter.

Personally, I wish there were more opportunities for adult competition besides softball and golf, but tennis keeps me pretty happy.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I played baseball in college. After college, I took a few years off. Started playing softball about 3 years ago. With 2 kids I just don't get to play enough. Once a week doesn't get it. I've started golfing a little more, but that gets pretty expensive. Bowling is more fun than I thought. I think I'll play sports my whole life, but I don't think I'll ever satisfy my desire to play baseball, and play it the way I always played it.

I do enjoy coaching my son's coach pitch team. Kind of fun to teach the game to little kids with that much energy. Takes a lot of patience, though.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 08-03-2005 at 09:53 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

What, no choices for Poker or Competitive Eating? They're sports too... just ask ESPN.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

What, no choices for Poker or Competitive Eating? They're sports too... just ask ESPN.
    We went to my favorite sports bar for dinner last Friday (they have great hamburgers), and guess what was on the big screen TV? Two fat dudes wolfing down plates of spaghetti. Mmmm...

Nothing gets your appetite going like watching competitive eating.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I still play soccer once a week. At 28 I am getting up there in age for the league but I can still make it through one game, most of the people on my team play in second league but my knees can't take it.

I'm a runner- or I was- I'm no spring chicken anymore. I seem to be going thru a cycle of running for a while, then having to stop due to nagging minor injuries, such as chondromalacia and achilles tendonitis, and a couple ankle sprains. It goes away, I run, and sometging else happens. I ran one marathon, but really prefer the 10K distance up to half marathon. I like beer, too!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I played baseball in college. After college, I took a few years off. Started playing softball about 3 years ago. With 2 kids I just don't get to play enough. Once a week doesn't get it. I've started golfing a little more, but that gets pretty expensive. Bowling is more fun than I thought. I think I'll play sports my whole life, but I don't think I'll ever satisfy my desire to play baseball, and play it the way I always played it.

I do enjoy coaching my son's coach pitch team. Kind of fun to teach the game to little kids with that much energy. Takes a lot of patience, though.
    http://www.geocities.com/mvabl/
    Adult baseball league in the dayton area. I played in it back (its previous incarnation anyway) in the mid '90s. Some good players, some bad. Looks like they went wooden bats now though.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    http://www.geocities.com/mvabl/
    Adult baseball league in the dayton area. I played in it back (its previous incarnation anyway) in the mid '90s. Some good players, some bad. Looks like they went wooden bats now though.
    Thanks for the info, ochre. I actually looked into this a couple years ago. A couple problems came up. I work late during the week (until 6pm), and the league fees when I checked were like $400. I might look into it again when my kids get a little older but right now I'm just having trouble finding the time...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    I still play soccer once a week. At 28 I am getting up there in age for the league but I can still make it through one game, most of the people on my team play in second league but my knees can't take it.
    I envy you, I played until I was 40, then I had to quit (bulging disc made recovery too long) I really, really, really miss it.

That said I pretty much mountain bike ride only now.

Went on a monster ride on the otherside of Mt. Hood yesterday, about 16 miles of nice single track (a bit too sandy for my taste though) My legs are jelly today.

I only run now. There's a great soccer league in Bloomington- very informal pickup games, welcoming to all experience levels. I have no excuses for not playing, other than the fact that I'm lazy.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Does darts count? I've played darts on average of one night a week for going on five years. There are no more softball leagues in my area, tennis is dead in my area, I don't have time for golf, and I don't have knees for basketball.

Darts can be played with as few as two people and regardless of what the weather is like outside. Plus, it's old-guy friendly, and I'll be 40 in November.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I play some golf and have recently started playing on my church's co-ed softball team. At 44, I sure wish I had some younger legs.

I have coached competitive baseball (16-18 year olds) for a lot of years and now coach my son in Little League, which is very enjoyable and rewarding. I always said that I would think twice before coaching my son, but after seeing a lot of the coaching at the lower levels, I decided that it was in his best interest.

I play softball in the summer.

Some of my friends and I are also thinking of joining a flag football league this fall.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I play Dungeons and Dragons.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?