Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My daughter wants to be Cheerleader; School wants $470

My daughter wants to be Cheerleader; School wants $470

What the heck? My daughter, who is in the 4th Grade wants to tryout for cheerleading. The elementary school wants $470 and fund raising was not an option. Is this normal in Texas? I am getting sick. I can't afford to give my daughter what she wants. She'll just have to settle for Basketball ($25) and soccer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My daughter wants to be Cheerleader; School wants $470

That is terrible. Select sports around here are about that much, but that money goes to tourney fees and stuff like that. What in the heck are they going to do with all that money with cheerleaders?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Good lord, RBA, that sounds like a hustle to me.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Piqua's worse. it's $700 to be a cheer leader. $15 for baseball, $75 for football, $700 for cheer leading. the best i can figure is that it's to maintain 'aristocric' control...perhaps debuatante (sp) would be the better word. either way, i think it's a social control.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

IIRC, Cheerleading has more catastrophic injuries than any sport besides football. In fact, it may have passed football.

Is insurance part of the reason?
    Stick to your guns.

These things must cost more than I suspected...

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Maybe it's the cost of the uniform?

Any way you look at it, that's pretty dang expensive for 4th graders.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'll say this, if I ever have girls, they might as well never plan on cheerleading unless its for a small school that cares more about academics than athletics.

Im originally from a small town in Kentucky that is well known for its 12 National Championships(most in the 90s) in cheerleading. I had a distant cousin on one of the teams who had to have five surgeries on her knees because of what she went through. I've heard stories about girls who were sick and had a puke bucket right beside of them while they practiced, and the coach who literally ran a concentration camp rather than a cheerleading squad.

If you want a good book to read about this team, check out "We've Got Spirit" by James T McElroy. While I dont like his generalization of the Greenup Co area, he does hit the nail on the head with some of the points of cheerleading and what the girls here went through.

http://product.ebay.com/WeVe-Got-Spi...tQQsoprZ628511
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    If you want a good book to read about this team, check out "We've Got Spirit" by James T McElroy.

http://product.ebay.com/WeVe-Got-Spi...tQQsoprZ628511
    Wowzer. McElroy went to college with my brother (adjacent graduation class to Theo Epstein - my bro was in Theo's class), and they're good friends. Glad to hear someone in the outside world bought his book.

I guess people that he interviewed for the book pretty much want him dead for his portrayal of the region.

I think he's trying his luck at writing musicals or plays or something now.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Wowzer. McElroy went to college with my brother (adjacent graduation class to Theo Epstein - my bro was in Theo's class), and they're good friends. Glad to hear someone in the outside world bought his book.

I guess people that he interviewed for the book pretty much want him dead for his portrayal of the region.

I think he's trying his luck at writing musicals or plays or something now.
    I borrowed it at the library.

He did portray Greenup in a not too positive light, but I was not overly offended by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Depends if the sport or activity is sponsored by the school.

If it's sponsored by the school, you might pay some nominal fee. My daughter is on the freshman volleyball team and we didn't pay anything. Coach fees, uniforms, buses, etc. all come out of the MHS athletic dept. budget. My son was on the varsity boys volleyball team and it was the same story there.

On the other hand, we pay $475 for my son to be in marching band. The school furnishes instruments, but most everything else is footed by the band parents and band boosters. We already run the MHS football game concession stands and all profits go to the band. Plus many other fund raisers.

Anything outside of school (select and club sports, cheerleading, dance, etc.) is all paid for out of hand by parents. My daughter played select soccer and we were paying around $700 a year. Club volleyball starts at about $1000 a year.

Neither of my girls have done cheerleading, but talking to neighbors, I'd say $470 sounds in the ballpark.

Kids don't play pick up ball at the school yard any more. Sports and recreation has become a huge $$$ business (select soccer, club volleyball, AABC/Knot Hole/etc. baseball, AAU hoops, etc.). And the pros and cons of all that is a whole 'nuther discussion.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Cheerleading is like a religion in Texas.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

You should also ask if that $470 covers cheerleading camp. That may be where most of the cost comes from.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

4th grade cheerleading?!?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Turn Off Ads?