Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluejackets Sign Adam Foote

Bluejackets Sign Adam Foote

Dunno if there's many jackets fans here, but I thought this was good news. One step on the long way back to the fans good graces, I suppose.

Taken from http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Avs defenseman Adam Foote signs with Columbus

By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer
    August 2, 2005
    COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Adam Foote, a defensive cornerstone of two championship teams in Colorado, signed a three-year contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets on Tuesday.

The 34-year-old Foote, the highest-profile player to sign with the 5-year-old Blue Jackets, was to be introduced at a news conference Tuesday.

``He is the total package,'' Columbus president and general manager Doug MacLean said. ``He is tremendously competitive, tough, smart, moves the puck very well and is the definition of the word winner. He is a terrific addition to our organization and will be a key component to our continued evolution as a franchise.''

Foote signed a 3-year, $13.8 million contract Monday night with the Blue Jackets, who have never made the playoffs largely because of a lack of dependable defensemen. Columbus gave up 263 goals -- 50 more than it scored -- during the 2003-2004 season.

The offense is anchored by youngsters Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev. Nash tied for the NHL lead in goals with 41 during the last season before the lockout, while Zherdev joined the team in December 2003 and showed a wealth of talent.

Monday was the first day NHL teams were allowed to pursue unrestricted free agents under the collective bargaining agreement that ended the lockout on July 22. The labor fight wiped out the entire 2004-05 season.

Foote turned down a 4-year, $12 million offer from Colorado, the franchise with which he spent his entire 13-year career. He played four years with the team when it was located in Quebec and won Stanley Cup championships in 1996 and 2001 in Colorado.

The physical and sturdy defenseman is coming off two of his most productive seasons. Foote led his position with an average of 35.5 shifts per game in 2003-2004. He had career highs with 11 goals, 31 points, and a plus-30 rating in the previous season.

No Blue Jackets players had a plus rating during the 2003-2004 season. Foote was a plus-5 in four games against Columbus that year. He has registered 20 or more points five times, including in four of the past six seasons.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder has also been a key figure for Canada in international competition the past decade. He won a gold medal at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City. Foote and Nash have been selected to attend the Canadian orientation camp later this month in preparation for the 2006 Olympics in Turin.

Foote will likely anchor the Blue Jackets' top defensive pairing. Columbus already has Rostislav Klesla, Luke Richardson and Duvie Westcott, along with young prospect Aaron Johnson on the blue line.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bluejackets Sign Adam Foote

Foote and Klesla should form a very nice backline for the Jackets. They are an up-and-coming team. I don't think they'll advance very far in the playoffs this year, if they make it, but 2-3 years from now I could see them being a force.

Nash is good.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The Jackets stink. It's all about the Blackhawks. They just got Aucoin.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Foote and Klesla should form a very nice backline for the Jackets. They are an up-and-coming team. I don't think they'll advance very far in the playoffs this year, if they make it, but 2-3 years from now I could see them being a force.

Nash is good.
    Nash is darn good, but you know...I actually think Zherdev is better. The Jackets only got a small taste of what he could do during his half season with the club in '03-'04. I'd like to see them sign another vet to pair up with Luke Richardson, the D last year was horrible. The offense will come into its own this year, with Nash, Zherdev and Sanderson leading the charge.

How about those Atlanta Thrashers.

They signed C Bobby Holik to pair with Heatley and Kovalchuk. That's a pretty dangerous line.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Lots of signings going on today...

Well, you know, the teams have only had..what, 14 months to work something out?

Atlanta will be much improved as well. It will be interesting to see how this new CBA helps the teams at the lower-end of the payroll.

I'm just excited to have hockey back. I love watching hockey during the week in the winters. I hate watching basketball.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I would have loved to watch Nash and Crosby together but that ship already sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I'm just excited to have hockey back. I love watching hockey during the week in the winters. I hate watching basketball.
    Same here. Last winter was dreadful without it, though I do like March madness.

Now that I don't live in Ohio anymore I'm probably gonna have to splurge on the Center Ice package to catch jackets games out here.

I don't know anything at all about hockey, but I'd probably become more interested in it if the Blue Jackets were a little better. Do they have any shot at all of making the playoffs in the near future? They've been so uniformly bad since inception, and I just can't add another crappy sports team to my life.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    I don't know anything at all about hockey, but I'd probably become more interested in it if the Blue Jackets were a little better. Do they have any shot at all of making the playoffs in the near future? They've been so uniformly bad since inception, and I just can't add another crappy sports team to my life.
    If you were to compare them to a baseball team, they'd be kind of like the Marlins, IMO. They have an awful lot of young talent, and now some decent veteran players. They are going to be right on the brink of making the playoffs this year. If luck goes their way and no injuries, they should squeak in, but don't expect them to win more than 1 playoff series. When that young talent starts to get experience, probably within 2-3 years, they should go farther in the playoffs. They won't suck and get crushed every night this year, I'll tell you that.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Any hockey fan able to tell me if Jarome Iginla resigned with the Flames?

Time is the Revelator.

I am kinda interested in following Hockey this season and see how things go. All the names are hard to pronouce though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Piergallini
    Any hockey fan able to tell me if Jarome Iginla resigned with the Flames?
    He hasn't officially signed yet, but word is that he has agreed on a 3 year contract with the Flames.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'm interested to see where Sergei Gonchar and Peter Forsberg end up. I love watching both of them play. This new CBA is really going to hurt Colorado.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?