Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marines' Deaths Hit Home for Ohio-Based Battalion

Marines' Deaths Hit Home for Ohio-Based Battalion

AP

Sgt. Nathaniel Rock from the Martins Ferry (Ohio) Police Department, was one of 20 Marines killed this week.
    BROOK PARK, Ohio (Aug. 3) - The 14 Marines killed in Iraq on Wednesday by a roadside bomb were members of the same Ohio-based battalion that lost six Marines two days earlier, a Marine Corps spokesman said.

The Marines were members of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines based in this Cleveland suburb, according to Gunnery Sgt. Brad R. Lauer, public affairs chief with the unit.

The local unit to which the 14 Marines were assigned wasn't disclosed.

The battalion has units in Brook Park, where the six Marines lost Monday were assigned, and in Columbus and Akron, Ohio; Moundsville, W.Va.; and Buffalo, N.Y.

The 14 died when a Marine armored vehicle on patrol during combat operations near the Syrian border hit a roadside bomb. They were riding in an amphibious assault vehicle, which is designed to carry troops from ship to shore and on land. The site is just outside Haditha, which is 140 miles northwest of Baghdad.

It was one of the deadliest single attacks in Iraq against American forces. A civilian interpreter also was killed.

The names of those killed were not released.

The first six died while on sniper duty on Monday northwest of Baghdad. They were members of the Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Battalion. Family members identified four of the dead as Lance Cpl. Jeff Boskovitch of North Royalton, Lance Cpl. Brian Montgomery of Willoughby, Daniel Nathan Deyarmin of Tallmadge and Sgt. Nathaniel Rock of Toronto, Ohio.

Boskovitch, 25, was an aspiring police officer who planned to set a wedding date with his girlfriend when he returned home this fall. He joined the Marine reserves in 2000, his uncle Paul Boskovitch said Tuesday.

"We got a lot of e-mail from him," Boskovitch said. "He felt he was making a difference there and that the Iraqi people were appreciative of what they were doing. He loved the Marines and he loved his unit."

08/03/05 11:17 EDT

(link to story and picture of Rock)
    http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...03111809990022

How tragic and sad, with no end in sight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marines' Deaths Hit Home for Ohio-Based Battalion

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS

AP

Sgt. Nathaniel Rock from the Martins Ferry (Ohio) Police Department, was one of 20 Marines killed this week.
    BROOK PARK, Ohio (Aug. 3) - The 14 Marines killed in Iraq on Wednesday by a roadside bomb were members of the same Ohio-based battalion that lost six Marines two days earlier, a Marine Corps spokesman said.

The Marines were members of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines based in this Cleveland suburb, according to Gunnery Sgt. Brad R. Lauer, public affairs chief with the unit.

The local unit to which the 14 Marines were assigned wasn't disclosed.

The battalion has units in Brook Park, where the six Marines lost Monday were assigned, and in Columbus and Akron, Ohio; Moundsville, W.Va.; and Buffalo, N.Y.

The 14 died when a Marine armored vehicle on patrol during combat operations near the Syrian border hit a roadside bomb. They were riding in an amphibious assault vehicle, which is designed to carry troops from ship to shore and on land. The site is just outside Haditha, which is 140 miles northwest of Baghdad.

It was one of the deadliest single attacks in Iraq against American forces. A civilian interpreter also was killed.

The names of those killed were not released.

The first six died while on sniper duty on Monday northwest of Baghdad. They were members of the Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Battalion. Family members identified four of the dead as Lance Cpl. Jeff Boskovitch of North Royalton, Lance Cpl. Brian Montgomery of Willoughby, Daniel Nathan Deyarmin of Tallmadge and Sgt. Nathaniel Rock of Toronto, Ohio.

Boskovitch, 25, was an aspiring police officer who planned to set a wedding date with his girlfriend when he returned home this fall. He joined the Marine reserves in 2000, his uncle Paul Boskovitch said Tuesday.

"We got a lot of e-mail from him," Boskovitch said. "He felt he was making a difference there and that the Iraqi people were appreciative of what they were doing. He loved the Marines and he loved his unit."

08/03/05 11:17 EDT

(link to story and picture of Rock)
    http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...03111809990022

How tragic and sad, with no end in sight.
    Do yourself and your local Service men and women a favor. In the next election, vote out of office the Chicken Hawks who have sent these fine men and women to an unnecessary and premature death. Support our troops.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

It just makes me feel so sad... these kids with their entire lives in front of them and now they're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    It just makes me feel so sad... these kids with their entire lives in front of them and now they're dead.
    It is sad. It's completely senseless. Every time I hear this, I ask myself all over again, "How the hell can this be happening?"
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It is sad. It's completely senseless. Every time I hear this, I ask myself all over again, "How the hell can this be happening?"
    Yep... and I don't want this thread to turn into a Bush-bashing thread but when I read a story like this and then hear about how he's about to go to his Texas Ranch for a MONTH LONG VACATION, I get even more enraged.

With crap like this going on over there, isn't there SOMETHING he should be doing in Washington D.C.?!?!

He's taking a nice long vacation, while 1,800 soldiers families had to bury their sons, daughters, wifes, husbands, fathers and mothers. I know war is hell and they are doing their job, but why are we still there?

I am a Registered Democrat, but I'll vote for whoever I think is best and at that time, I most definitely would have voted for JOhn McCain. That being said, I saw a bumper sticker that said, "At least when Clinton lied, nobody died."

I think we all have to be naive if we don't think Bush may have lied to get what he wanted done. Look what he did with John Bolton's appointment. He waited till Congress was in a recess so he could appoint him, even though both Democrats and Republicans weren't sure if Bolton was the right choice.

I have never seen Fahrenheit 9/11, but a co-worker saw it and was telling me some stuff. I may have to check it out.

Well, the beat rolls on.

That being said, I saw a bumper sticker that said, "At least when Clinton lied, nobody died."
    I saw one that said, "I liked it better when the President was getting screwed."
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NAS...t=.jsp&c_id=kc

BOSTON -- The Royals' Buddy Bell managed with a heavy heart Wednesday night.
    Bell learned earlier in the day that his nephew, Timothy M. Bell, 22, was among 14 U.S. Marine reservists from Ohio that were killed in Iraq by a roadside bomb.

"It made it a lot tougher because emotionally we wanted to pull this one out for our skipper," team captain Mike Sweeney said.

"We know the pain he's going through and he's our leader. We wanted to win this one for him and his family."

The Royals lost their sixth straight game, 8-5, to the Red Sox.

Royals players learned of Tim Bell's death shortly before the game.

"Our troops have been over there for a while and I lost a high school friend of mine awhile back and now the skipper's nephew. It makes the war personal," Sweeney said.

"It's thousands of miles away and you read about it in the papers, but when you see your skipper, the rock of the team, with tears in his eyes, it definitely makes it more personal. It's tough."

Sweeney expressed the hope that "all the faithful out there" would pray for Bell's family.

A moment of silence for the 14 soldiers was observed just prior to the game.

"That was probably the most touching moment of silence I've ever been through," Sweeney said.

Team spokesman David Witty said that Bell was expected to be in Boston for Thursday's game but did not know his plans after that.

Bell did not want to discuss his nephew's death following the game.

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Utterly and completely senseless.

My brother is 20 years old right now. If the draft was reinstituted, I would personally drive him to Canada myself. No way would I watch him be sent off to die in this ridiculous, senseless war our President has started.

I wonder if we have another President like Bush, if the draft will be reinstituted with enrollment down like it is? I would have gone back during WWII if my country asked me. I will not lay my life on the line for nothing. I would defend my family, not Iraq.

You know what else pisses me off is the fact that the one soldier who shot the unarmed insurgent who he thought was reaching for something and got in trouble for it? Bullcrap, it's war. Innocent people die, that's the hell of war. We send our soldiers to a deathtrap, but if the defend themselves, there is a possibility they could be put in prison.

Two things, 1) We shouldn't be there.
    2) The media shouldn't be embedded in nothing.

Turn Off Ads?