Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The little boy whose grandfather died at the game

Re: The little boy whose grandfather died at the game

Poor little guy.. I hope he pulls through o.k... Best wishes to the Perez's. I am also very proud of the way Griff handled the situation... But who impressed me the most was FeLo. I don't think there are many young players who would give away their first all-star helmut. That kids got a heart of gold. Kudos to all the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    I was at that game on Wednesday and I had a bad feeling he had passed away from the way they carried him out. This happened at the same time the game was stopped when the umpire was injured. You could tell several of the players knew something serious was going on in the outfield stands. Junior went into the bullpen during the whole delay in play and I am sure that was to check on the situation with the young boy. Junior has always been my favorite player and it because of more than just the way he plays the game. Junior continues to be a true class act and I am really proud of the way him and all the other people involved handled this situation.
    I thought he was still alive when he was taken out - from my viewpoint [they were in my section] - the grandfather sort of waved and some of fans gave him a hand. Of course, that could have been movement because of the stretcher - and I would think that if he did pass up in the seats that they would not have pulled the sheet over his face.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 21-17
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I'm not trying to pick on your post here, Rem, please don't take this personally, but I have a 6 year old son. If my Dad were to take him to a game and something happened, my son would be traumatized. 6 year olds are a lot smarter than many of us give them credit for. I'm sure with all the chaos going on, he probably didn't know exactly what was going on, but believe me when I say that this kid is going to be grieving for awhile over this. It is absoltely great that the players, coaches, and other employees had the presence of mind to get the kid away from the situation and not let him witness all that was going on with his grandfather, that diversion and the experience of meeting some of these players was really helpful, I'm sure, but this kid is going to need some couseling and help going forward to get over this experience.
    No problem, RL. In fact, I think that he realized what was happening it's just that I meant that a lot of it may have been a blurr with eveything going on. I could be wrong though. Just like adults, kids assimilate differently depending upon the individual.

Either way, great response by the Reds.

Rem

Felipe even signed the batting helmet he wore in the All Star game and gave it to him.
    How about some props for Felipe? That helmet had to have special meaning for him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Not a surprise that Tom Hume and Ken Griffey Jr were involved. Two of the kindest, classiest people I have ever met. Great story.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Way to go Hume and Junior and Lopez and the rest of the guys who helped take care of the little boy.

Sad, heartbreaking / heartwarming story all at once. Kudos to the Reds for helping the little guy the best they could.

My daughter is 3 1/2 and I know she'd grasp a lot of what was happening in a situation like that, especially after going through losing her dog suddenly in March. She still talks about how to get up to heaven to see Sunny, proposes things like a long ladder, etc... It rips my heart out but I take comfort that I honestly believe that she pictures Sun up there running in meadows with other doggies just having a great time...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I hope the kid remembers his granddad taking him to the game and meeting all those players more then what happened, this is just so sad to read about..prayers to him and his family
    Go Gators!

Lance just inteviewed the security officer who helped the boy initially and he recounted the story. Said all told he was at the park maybe 2 1/2 hours without anyone other than the Reds to take care of him.

If it puts anyones mind at ease, the officer said when the childs parents arrived to pick him up, the boy's first words to them were "I got to meet Ken Griffey Jr."

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Go Redlegs!!!!

When you think about it, the Reds do have a collection of some pretty darn nice guys.

For example... who is the ultimate Mr. Nice Guy in baseball? President Nice Guy? Sean Casey of course. And we have him. Lopez, Dunn, Kearns and of course Junior. Class acts each one of them. I'm sure I am leaving people out here, but the whole way they handled that 6 year old whose grandfather died at GAB just reminded me of this.

A few years ago I was working at a prominant local restaurant and Aaron Boone was very rude to one of the servers there. I think he didnt get the table he wanted or something and it was packed. Anyway, so he complains the whole evening and then leaves no tip even thoug he is a multi-millionaire.

Can you imagine the Nice Guys doing something like that? Of course not. Dunn stiffing a waitress? Nope.

Now if we can just get some Mr. Nice Guy pitching that doesn't suck, we'll be playoff bound.

A parallel moment:

http://home.att.net/~yflanagan/baseball/ricehero.html

THE DAY RICE MADE CONTACT:
    ONE OF HIS MEMORABLE MOVES WAS TO AID AN INJURED YOUNG FAN

On that sunny Saturday, Aug. 7, 1982, some of the best seats at Fenway Park were in the front rows of the field boxes along the first base line. From that vantage point, fans are close to the action, without the distraction of the wire screen that protects fans behind the plate.

Tom Keane got three tickets through a friend who was close to Haywood Sullivan, the Red Sox's executive vice president. The tickets belonged to the wife of Red Sox manager Ralph Houk, but she wasn't using them. Keane used the opportunity to drive his sons, 4-year- old Jonathan and 2-year-old Matthew, from their Greenland, N.H., home to the game.

For Jonathan Keane, it was a dream come true. It was a chance to see his favorite player, promising infielder Dave Stapleton, up close. So, in the bottom of the fourth as Stapleton stepped to the plate, Jonathan Keane watched eagerly from the second row of Box 29.

A right-handed batter, Stapleton stood in against righthander Richard Dotson of the Chicago White Sox. Stapleton was late on a Dotson pitch, and he lined a foul ball to the right.

"A Quick Reaction"

Jonathan Keane is 19, a sophomore at North Carolina State. He lives in Bethlehem, N.H., and works during the summer as a waiter at Pier 2 in Portsmouth.

His only scar is a physical one -- a small line above his left eye. Keane doesn't remember anything after Stapleton made contact with the pitch, but team doctor Arthur Pappas said he had never seen so much blood at Fenway.

It happened in an instant, a little boy's dream becoming every parent's nightmare. Jonathan, who had come to Fenway that day looking for heroes, would find one.

``We were watching the game and all of a sudden I heard a `crack,' '' Tom Keane said. ``And I thought it hit the side of the dugout, because the dugout was right beside us. The ball was just hit so hard, you never even saw it. I turned around and looked and Jon was slouched over and blood was gushing out of his head.''

The foul line drive had struck the boy in the forehead, slicing open his left temple and fracturing his skull.

The damage was frighteningly obvious. There was so much blood, second baseman Jerry Remy, now a Red Sox broadcaster, nearly threw up in the dugout.

Red Sox center fielder Rick Miller, in the on-deck circle, yelled into the dugout for trainer Charlie Moss to come onto the field.

As Moss started, Jim Rice leapt past him.

The day had started routinely for Rice, who had hit a two-run double an inning earlier off Dotson to tie the score at 2. He was watching from the dugout as Stapleton batted. He heard Miller's plea but didn't see anyone moving.

Instinctively, Rice climbed into the stands and gathered Keane's bloody body into his arms. Rice carried him into the dugout, through the runway and into the trainer's room in the clubhouse. It all happened in seconds.

``It was just a reaction,'' Rice said. ``You don't have time to think about it. You just think about doing something.''

Pappas went directly from his box seat to the trainer's room, barely beating Rice into the clubhouse.

After a quick examination, the boy was put in an ambulance and taken to Children's Hospital, where he was listed in good condition.

Stapleton was shaken.

``I feel so badly,'' Stapleton said after the game. ``I just wish I could have it back.''

Stapleton visited Keane in the hospital the next day, followed by Tony La Russa, who was then the manager of the White Sox. Even Hank Aaron called. The game had been an NBC Game of the Week, and Aaron had seen it. He called Children's Hospital to make sure a boy he had never met was OK.

Father won't forget

Jonathan recovered from his injuries and was back at Fenway Park April 5,1983, for Opening Day.

The original plan was for Carl Yastrzemski Sr. to throw out the first pitch -- the younger Carl was starting his final season with the Red Sox -- but Sullivan called the Keanes and asked if Jonathan would also like to throw a first pitch. Jonathan accepted.

Keane says he still meets people who remember what happened to him. For Keane and his close friends, however, it's not a big deal.

``I try to keep it low,'' Keane said. ``I tell people I got hit in the head at Fenway and Jim Rice carried me off, and that's pretty much it.''

Both Jonathan and his father still go to games at Fenway. Jonathan, possessing the air of indestructibility that accompanies youth, enjoys sitting in the low boxes close to home plate, indifferent to the possibility he could be struck again.

Tom Keane isn't so self-assured. When he visits Fenway, he sits in the safety of the grandstand, far from the line drives.

``I don't like it [in the field boxes],'' Tom Keane said. ``It's very
    uncomfortable because it brings back the memories of that.''

That day, Aug. 7, 1982.

Tom Keane said it could have been much worse, and that Rice's quick thinking may have saved his son's life.

``Time is very much a factor once you have that kind of a head injury and the subsequent swelling of the brain,'' Pappas said. ``That's why it's so important to get him to care so it can be dealt with. [Rice] certainly helped him very considerably.''

His Place in History

Today, Rice is the Red Sox's hitting instructor. He was happy to learn that Keane is doing well, and is attending college not far from Rice's home state, South Carolina.

``It's a good feeling,'' Rice said. ``At least he knows that we have
    southern hospitality.''

Rice, 44, retired in 1989 with 382 home runs and a .298 career average. The player who Aaron once said would be the one to break his all-time home run record has been on the Hall of Fame ballot twice. He has not come close to making it. The experts say part of the reason he won't is his poor relationship with the media. With writers, Rice was often cold and surly,
    not the kind of personality one thinks of when discussing the ``character issue.''

Mo Vaughn sees it differently. Vaughn, in some ways, is the Jim Rice of the '90s: a power-hitting All-Star and team leader. Vaughn had his own experience aiding a young boy, befriending and hitting a home run for cancer patient Jason Leader in 1993.

``Jim's was a reaction, mine was more over a period of time,'' Vaughn said. ``It all means the same. We're all trying to help people.''

Vaughn says Rice should be inducted.

``He's one of the greatest players in Red Sox history,'' Vaughn said. ``He should have his day.''

Tom Keane agrees. He only met Rice once, but in those brief seconds 15 years ago, Keane learned all he'd ever need to about Rice's character. He was a witness to another of Rice's career statistics: one save.

``It was a very humanitarian thing that he did,'' Keane said. ``I think he's a wonderful person. I think he belongs in the Hall of Fame. He's certainly in our Hall of Fame.''

The Reds certainly do have some likeable players, makes it that much tougher to see this group continue to have bad years.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    The Reds certainly do have some likeable players, makes it that much tougher to see this group continue to have bad years.
    You said it.

But it keeps me rooting for them even through the dark years. You don't have to be a first-rate person to succeed, but when you are a first-rate person it makes it that much easier for others to root for you when you do.

This team needs to lock up Lopez. The kid strikes me as a great face for the organization.

IMO Griffey is a great influence on the younger guys, maybe more so as a person than as a ballplayer. That's not an easy feat. The fact the Junior is a pretty humble guy is pretty impressive considering the environment he grew up in. That speaks well to his parents and how they raised their kids. And I agree about Lopez, I think this may be the first positive environment Lopez has ever experienced, and I think he likes it. I'm not really talking about his play either, he just really seems happy and everything I hear about him makes me think he's a pretty good guy. I wonder if Lopez would have blossomed without Griffey and Larkin. Either way, I'm sure glad RA isn't mentoring the kid.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

That story is heartbreaking and my heart goes out to that poor child.

Junior is a classy guy, pure and simple. This isn't something he had to do. And when he does things like this, it just goes to show just how meaningless and petty the unjust heat that he takes on a regular basis is. Makes me proud to have always been a Junior fan and supporter. Kudos to him.

Turn Off Ads?