Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americans didn't flock to Canada after Bush win

Americans didn't flock to Canada after Bush win

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadians can put away those extra welcome mats -- it seems Americans unhappy about the result of last November's presidential election have decided to stay at home after all.

In the days after President Bush won a second term, the number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site shot up sixfold, prompting speculation that unhappy Democrats would flock north.

But official statistics show the number of Americans actually applying to live permanently in Canada fell in the six months after the election.

On the face of it this is not good news -- Canada is one of the few major nations seeking to attract immigrants -- but Immigration Minister Joe Volpe was philosophical.

"We'll take talent from wherever it is resident in the world. I was absolutely elated to see the number of hits and then my staff said 'You know what? A hit on the Internet is after all just a hit'," he told Reuters on Thursday.

"I guess I'm happy Republicans and Democrats have found a way to live together in peace and in harmony," he said.

Canada generally tilts more to the social and political left than the United States.

Data from the main Canadian processing center in Buffalo, NY shows that in the six months up to the U.S. election there were 16,266 applications from people seeking to live in Canada, a figure that fell to 14,666 for the half year after the vote.

A spokeswoman for Canada's federal immigration ministry declined to speculate on the reasons for the drop.

Toby Condliffe, who heads the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, did have an explanation of sorts.

"I can only assume the Americans who checked out the Web site subsequently checked out our winter temperatures and further took note that the National Hockey League was being locked out and had second thoughts," he told Reuters.

Last year, Canada, which has a population of about 32 million, accepted 235,808 immigrants from all over the world.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Americans didn't flock to Canada after Bush win

Sounds like they can cancel the parade for Alec Baldwin, eh?

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    "I guess I'm happy Republicans and Democrats have found a way to live together in peace and in harmony," he said.

Toby Condliffe, who heads the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, did have an explanation of sorts. "I can only assume the Americans who checked out the Web site subsequently checked out our winter temperatures and further took note that the National Hockey League was being locked out and had second thoughts," he told Reuters.
    Perhaps they can all live together... but what is this peace and harmony thing??!?!?

People did not go b/c of the NHL lockout??? I hope this guy was laughing when he said that. Nothing against the NHL (I'm not a big fan, but do watch it on TV), but I'd be willing to bet my life savings and my dog that he is way off on that one. How many Canadian teams are there in the NHL anyhow? I'd venture to guess that there are more U.S. teams. I am sure that my Democrat friends here in the U.S. hope this Toby Condliffe stays north.

Now what was the real reason? Could it be idle threats by those who said it (Alec B., do you hear me??)? People blowing hot air? Maybe the U.S., even with a AWOL/cocaine/DUI president from the other side, is a better place than our neighbor up north? I am really perplexed by this. Hmmmmm.

I saw a flock of Canada Geese here in the US last evening.

Is that the same thing?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I saw a flock of Canada Geese here in the US last evening.

Is that the same thing?

I am not sure, Roy. Maybe they needed to see a doctor before the 6-month waiting period?

Were the geese flocking to the U.S. from Canada or was it just a flock of Canadian geese visiting our wonderful country? We could ask good ol' Mr. Owl... he always knew that it took 3 licks to get to the center of that Tootsie Roll Tootsie-Pop. And he probably knows more about the animal thing than us (but not Steve Irwin).

Canada generally tilts more to the social and political left than the United States.
    As does Britain, France, Germany, Japan, Belgium, etc....

National healthcare, gay rights, medicinal marijuana, now if weren't just so damn cold.

Australia is the place to go, nice beaches and warm weather in December
    Go Gators!

I'm dating (and proposing to in, oh, a few weeks or so) a Canadian...what does that make me?

Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    I'm dating (and proposing to in, oh, a few weeks or so) a Canadian...what does that make me?
    Uh, umm, errr... madly in love with your soulmate?

p.s. - Good luck, GIK, and congrats!

Half an Eh?

Go Gators!

A Canadican.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Australia is the place to go, nice beaches and warm weather in December
    Plus it's just fun to say "Krono" with an Aussie accent.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Eligible for a Green card (or equivalent) in Canada.

Good to keep those options open

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Plus it's just fun to say "Krono" with an Aussie accent.
    I do chat with an Ausslie lady..I need to get her to say Krono and record it
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I do chat with an Ausslie lady..I need to get her to say Krono and record it
    They love to make nick names by adding an O on the end of the persons name (if that person has one syllable name).

Johno
    Jacko
    etc.

Turn Off Ads?