Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA News today

NCAA News today

Bobby Knight testifies that the NCAA has tried to kill off the NIT

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?s...v=ap&type=lgns

And in other news, the NCAA has banned Native American mascots and nicknames from postseason events.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NCAA News today

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    And in other news, the NCAA has banned Native American mascots and nicknames from postseason events.

I've often thought, boy, Native Americans must just love it when the very people who uprooted them from their land, practically killed them off and sent them away to die on resource-deprved reservations then turn around and use their names as sports team nicknames.

to the NCAA on this. Now, if Cleveland would just do something with Chief Wahoo.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    to the NCAA on this. Now, if Cleveland would just do something with Chief Wahoo.
    And the NFL should do something about "Redskins"...I can't think of a more offensive nickname in pro or college sports.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    And the NFL should do something about "Redskins"...I can't think of a more offensive nickname in pro or college sports.
    Believe me, no one woul dlove that more than I...but good luck. The "'Skins" are as entrenched culturally in the DC landscape as the Presidential inauguration.

I'm failing to see why Redskins is offensive? By that reasoning, all states in the south should be in an uproar with the "Yankees". The Ragin Cajuns should be abhorred at the nickname. They are nicknames, not meant to be racist. The NCAA can't do anything about steroids or booster's paying their players, but god darn it, no inferences to native americans allowed in the postseason. Kind of like the cops busting a prostitution ring while the drug dealers across the street are let go.

I know why it may seem to be offensive, but are there a large majority of Native Americans protesting this and going to courts to get these thrown out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Piergallini
    I'm failing to see why Redskins is offensive? By that reasoning, all states in the south should be in an uproar with the "Yankees". The Ragin Cajuns should be abhorred at the nickname. They are nicknames, not meant to be racist. The NCAA can't do anything about steroids or booster's paying their players, but god darn it, no inferences to native americans allowed in the postseason. Kind of like the cops busting a prostitution ring while the drug dealers across the street are let go.

I know why it may seem to be offensive, but are there a large majority of Native Americans protesting this and going to courts to get these thrown out?
    Picture, if you will, the "Atlanta Blackskins", or the "Boston Whiteskins".

Something sound a bit peculiar there to you?

I've never seen the big deal about Indian nicknames (at least the ones that aren't insulting epithets like Redskins). The Celtics and Figthing Irish don't bug me one bit.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Believe me, no one woul dlove that more than I...but good luck. The "'Skins" are as entrenched culturally in the DC landscape as the Presidential inauguration.
    Yeah but the "nickname" derived from playing in Boston on "Braves" field.

FWIW many NA activists consider the "nickname battle" to be entry level in the fight against discrimination. Falling far behind poverty, drugs and booze, treaty breaking, selling out of reservation lands to corporate interests etc...

So, what about schools from states that were named about Native Americans... Can they have their state names on the front of their jerseys? Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Dakota, Kentucky, etc.?

For that matter, Indiana?

And I think this will just become another jersey marketing ploy. Teams will have NCAA tournament versions of their jerseys.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

What about the Blue Devils and Demon Deacons? Isn't it bad enough that Satan was cast into hell for all eternity? Now he has people making fun of him by naming their sports teams after him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    What about the Blue Devils and Demon Deacons? Isn't it bad enough that Satan was cast into hell for all eternity? Now he has people making fun of him by naming their sports teams after him.
    If you banned them you'd have to ban any team with "Saints" as their mascots or "Crusaders" cause of religion.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Bobby Knight testifies that the NCAA has tried to kill off the NIT

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?s...v=ap&type=lgns

In response to this move, PETA has stepped up lobbying efforts with the NCAA to ban all animal mascots and nicknames due to the emotional distress brought on by the gross misrepresentations of their head size.

And I guess that is good news for us worthless nuts known as Buckeyes
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

What about the Angels? Doesn't this put God's work in vain?

What about the Calgary Flames? Maybe I shouldn't ask that.

What about the Vancouver Canucks? Montreal Canadiens? The NHL needs to go on strike again. All of their nicknames are offensive?

My point is: why are we worried about such a miniscule thing in society when there are much much bigger problems to worry about, say, AIDS, Health Care, rising cost of gasoline, umemployment, homelessness, homeland security, etc.

The San DIego Padres. I'm surprised the Catholic Church hasn't been in uproar over this.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I've never seen the big deal about Indian nicknames (at least the ones that aren't insulting epithets like Redskins). The Celtics and Figthing Irish don't bug me one bit.
    The difference, to me, is that actual Irish people were involved in choosing those nicknames. They convey a sense of pride in our history.

I sincerely doubt any Native Americans were involved in the selection of those nicknames, and as such, they lack that element of choice. The sad fact is that Chief Wahoo and the 'Redskins' logo are as much a racist caracature as a blackface minstrel show. Their existence is a subtle, but powerful, badge of inferiority that seems to be accepted by the majority society. I don't think that should be accepted.

Still, where a given university has received clearance from the tribe involved, and the mascot/nickname is respectful, then I don't have a problem. So: Seminoles, Sioux, Cherokees, Illini etc. okay, Redskins never okay, Braves and Indians might be okay.

Turn Off Ads?