Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: August 5th - Reds vs. Marlins - Game Thread

Re: August 5th - Reds vs. Marlins - Game Thread

We went to the game tonight. Some observations...

- Obviously, Jason Vargas had the Reds off-stride all night. He moved in and out, changed speeds, and zapped a 90 mph fastball when he had to. The kid looked very good on the mound and *threw strikes*. Lord how frustrating it is to watch someone like that make it look so simple. Lots of fly ball outs, not many K's, not many BBs, we'll see how he does after being around the league a couple times.

- He also looks like he knows what he's doing at the plate. The Marlin fan sitting by us said he DH'ed at Long Beach State.

- Milton struggled all night. Cabrera absolutely *launched* one out in the first and Milton dodged trouble in the 2nd and 3rd. He got the Marlins 1-2-3 in the 4th but it was obvious his command was lousy and he had thrown a lot of pitches. And then the wheels fell off in the 5th giving up 3 runs to make it 5-0.

- Felo made 2 stellar plays at the expense of Jeff Conine. One he went deep (and I mean *deep*) into the hole and threw him out. The other was a scorching liner that Lopez dove and caught.

- EE almost robbed Conine again on a ball down the line that EE made a great play on but threw wide to first base.

- The game was decided in the Reds 7th. Vargas hit both Dunn and Larue and got yanked by McKeon (good to see Jack). EE doubled deep to left to score Dunn and runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Aurilia grounded out, Freel walked to load the bases and bring up Lopez. FeLo ran the count full, and with the crowd roaring and on their feet, waved at ball 4 high and outside (from Ron Villone of all people). That was the ballgame right there. That was really the only time all night the crowd was fired up.

-FeLo looks a little lost at the plate.

- Cabrera has a live bat. Besides a HR and single, he hit one a mile high the opposite way that Freel caught with his back against the wall. An impressive young hitter.

- Coffey, Standridge, and Belisle pitched well in relief but the damage was done by Milton.

- Aurilia broke up a DP with a really agressive slide. He is playing like he is royally pissed off. I don't mind the fire.

- Not much Reds excitement.

Pay attention to the open sky

2. Turn Off Ads?

FeLo looks a little lost at the plate.
    Vs. LH's this year

.208 /.261/.337/.598 - 101 ab's

But don't fret, last year

.292/.333/.523 /.856 - 65 ab's

Lopez improved his LH approach this year by a threefold, however his RH approach has taken a hit, he rarely walks when he bats RH, only 10 times in his last 161 RH ab's. If he's not hitting (IE connecting) then it's not going to be pretty. RH his game is pretty much like Aurilia, power if he connects, not much else if he doesn't.

It can be ugly when stacked against LH's in a string of AB's.

But that's par for the course, LH's have owned this team for the mosrt part the last 10 years.. lots of quirky guys too.

"So Fla Red"

Well I picked a gem of a game to attend in person about an hour after flying in all the way from PDX tonight. Hopes were very low with Milton on the mound and by the time we entered the park in the middle of the 1st the Fish already had enough for the evening (2-0 lead)

Tucker summed it up pretty well. Milton was garbage, Varges had them off balance all night (pop-ups and lazy fly balls), Felo's two gems were stellar, Felo's two rallying killing appearances at the plate weren't. Freel is pesky with a couple of timely walks. Kearns looks lost at the plate. KGJ looked awfully slow on CF with his jump on the ball in the RF gap in the 5th. EdE's double was ripped and was really the lone offensive highlight of the night.

Playing against a lefty without WMP penciled on the card and with Milton on the mound dealings is literally like fighting with both hands tied behind your back.

GABP is a nice place as I actually like it more every year when I can attend a game or two in person. Now all Cincinnati needs is a better product on the field...

The franchise differences seemed so clear -- Fish grow their own 300K talented lefty, the Reds look hapless with an 8.5M a year import.

Only saving grace was some Skyline Chili before the game and only having to pay $5 for some really good seats (Advantages of being out of the race)

(originally posted in the peanut gallery but I decided to put it here too)

I'm conviced a family needs to go to a ballgame every so often.

A variation of the Tucker clan went to the game last night (me, Mrs. T, daughter, friend). The spousal unit was all out of sorts on the way down and while getting food. Snippy, testy, the b word, all that. The other 3 of us just shrugged and went on. Sometimes its best just leave things be.

I made sure I was sitting next to my wife. The game started. I start up with my normal game patter. I like to talk at games. I'll make comments about the play on the field, make comments about what's on the scoreboard, etc etc. I just yak.

She gave me a couple eyerolls, bored hmmmm's, yawns, and some very half-hearted attempts at feigning interest. Roy, however, was not deterred. I started acting goofy with the 2 kids, asking them silly questions, making rude remarks about batters stances, etc. The spousal unit actually paid a little attention.

Round about the 5th inning, I feel this arm come around me and this person snuggle up beside me. "You know", she said, "we need to do this more. It's so nice just to sit outside, watch the game, forget about everything else, and just have a nice time". Me, being the swave and deboner person I am said "well, duh, yeah, you moron".

The rest of the game (even though the Reds stunk) was good. My wife woke up, had fun, we freely talked, the girls had fun, blah blah. My wife and I held hands on he walk out (no mean trick to keep that going after 20 years of marriage). Good times.

Just like the Mastercard commercial.

If I called my Mrs a moron I'd get a sharp elbow in the side

Good story Roy
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I was there, too. Crowd was very sparse.

I bought tickets from a scalper at face value. Section 134, Row F. Great seats! 6 rows from the field on the first base side. There were 3 of us and only 2 other people in entire row, but ours was the most empty row for 6 rows in either direction. Makes me think that the scalper didn't sell any of the other tickets in our row.

As Roy pointed out, the near-rally in the 7th was an exciting time. Lots of folks in our section left after the 7th, so my son and nephew went down to row A and enjoyed the unobstructed view of the field.

Kearns looked totally lost at the plate. Had I not known that he'd been performing well in earlier games since his return, I'd be very angry that he was back with the big club.

This was my first time to watch an entire game since Miley got the sack. I was impressed with Narron's use of the lineup. Bringing in Aurilia at second and moving Freel to RF to spell the frustrated Kearns seemed like a level of thinking that we wouldn't have seen from Miley.

Milton works sooo slowly that the game seems to drag on forever. I didn't get on the road until nearly 11:00 for a 7:00 game. That's rough.

I listened to all of Extra Innings on the drive back to Columbus. Tracy Jones thinks Kearns should have come up sooner. (I don't) He laments that the Reds don't sign more pitchers like Vargas. (I do too.) His theme for the night was to ask callers how much they'd had to drink before they called. (Or maybe he does this every Friday?) He got irate with a guy who'd had 6 beers and two mixed drinks and called after having driven home from a bar.

I arrived in town 4 hours before game time and used my tickets to take advantage of the discounted admission to the Reds HOF. The boys and I were impressed with the place. It is classy, interactive and entertaining. Well worth the $3 admission with gameday tickets.

No bargains to be had in the gift shop, though. Same with the gift shop at the Westin - no deals to match last year's $5 caps this time. At the two gift shops, I did notice that there were a lot of Austin Kearns items marked down this year. Apparently, it is symbolic of his reduced fan appeal after being sent down. I expected to see more Danny Graves items priced to sell, but apparently that stuff was long gone. Still no takers on the Ruben Mateo game-used bat that I saw there last year!

On the plus side, it was a great night to watch baseball. Not too hot. Not too buggy. No rain. No encounters with fans saying ugly things. And my son, the Marlin fan, left the ballpark happy.
    /r/reds

Hey UA, we were in section 128 and 7 rows back, just by the corner of the dugout. Too bad we didn't know each other was there.

I sat by a Marlins fan. Very knowledgeable but insufferable. I just had to grind my teeth.

Turn Off Ads?