Turn Off Ads?

Thread: HVAC problems

HVAC problems

Anyone have any experience in the HVAC field? Or recommend any local companies to give a call? I've been working with one of the local, small companies trying to get our heat pump fixed but I'm getting a little frustrated with them. The whole system was replaced just before we purchased the house (less than 2 years ago.) Twice we have had someone come out and add refrigerant. First time was under home warranty, second time on us. Shortly after that second time (January 2nd), I called them back out because it was acting up again. This time we made them actually look for a problem instead of just adding refrigerant to get us up and going. Apparently when the system was installed, the high side service valve was installed wrong and is causing us to lose the refrigerant. At least if you trust this company. We did find out that the part would be covered under warranty but the labor and refrigerant would not. Which we figured, but I can not get a true estimate from this company. I can get a basic break down of what it COULD cost, but they can't give us a definite price until they're done. Basically we'd be at their will to whatever they wanted to charge us. That isn't sitting very well with the wife and I so we are thinking of looking elsewhere for another opinion. Trouble is I don't want to end up in the same predicament, just with some other company. We have already paid this company twice to come out, so we'd prefer not to have to pay someone again, but know that we probably will have to. I see where some places offer free second opinions but those usually seem to be on new system replacements, not repair work. Anyone have any positive experiences with the HVAC companies in the Cincy/Dayton area?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: HVAC problems

I may be able to get you a rough estimate of cost/time it would take to replace it. Work on the commercial side of things, so I'm sure somebody could give me a half decent estimate and get you in the ballpark. We only have 1 field tech, and he's mostly commercial and tied up like a bugger so I can't actually help you get it fixed, but I'll see if I can at least get a somewhat estimate from however many miles away.

I've never had anyone come out to fix my HVAC, always had our field guy come out and tinker with it when it needed fixing, so I can't recommend anyone specifically. I've always been happy with the stuff A-abel has done for me in other areas, I believe they do some residential HVAC as well. I forget the name of the company I had come out of Dayton to look at my HVAC under my home owners warranty (supplied by the seller in our first year at the house) but they were good awful. Our field service guy had a good laugh as the crudy work they did in "diagnosing" our issue.

anyhoo, I'll see what I can get.

I'm going to PM you someone in Middletown, mole. Two brothers. I went to high school with them. They're pretty top notch.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I may be able to get you a rough estimate of cost/time it would take to replace it. Work on the commercial side of things, so I'm sure somebody could give me a half decent estimate and get you in the ballpark. We only have 1 field tech, and he's mostly commercial and tied up like a bugger so I can't actually help you get it fixed, but I'll see if I can at least get a somewhat estimate from however many miles away.

I've never had anyone come out to fix my HVAC, always had our field guy come out and tinker with it when it needed fixing, so I can't recommend anyone specifically. I've always been happy with the stuff A-abel has done for me in other areas, I believe they do some residential HVAC as well. I forget the name of the company I had come out of Dayton to look at my HVAC under my home owners warranty (supplied by the seller in our first year at the house) but they were good awful. Our field service guy had a good laugh as the crudy work they did in "diagnosing" our issue.

anyhoo, I'll see what I can get.
    Yeah the company the home warranty company had come out didn't diagnose the problem. They just topped off the refrigerant and left. This company did the same the first time until we complained it was still messed up.

What I can tell you is that the fitting will need removed and the new one soldered in. And that we have a 5.5 lb system.

The wife saw an ad in the Reach magazine for a company that does free second opinons. So on a whim, I gave them a call this morning and they were able to get someone out within an hour. Only thing the guy could find wrong was a loose wire. He tightened that up it was purring like a kitten again. He checked our pressures and said they were fine. He checked out the service fitting and said he didn't see anything that would cause a leak or no signs of one. So now I don't know what to think other than that other company was trying to screw us. On the plus side, they didn't charge us and its working now so i guess its back to keeping an eye on it and enjoying heat again.

good to hear, fwiw, I was told the cost to fix your problem (well your original diagnosis was roughly 500-600 worst case) He said some of that depended if he had to capture the Freon or not, and where the valve was and what kind of valve it was specifically. Thought worst case, if he had to capture the Freon prior to replacing the valve it would be about a 3 to 4 hour job. The valve itself (again depending on the type he was working in the dark based upon the info I passed along) he said pretty cheap, your cost would be mostly tied up in labor.

Had the first company come out again yesterday to prove to me that it was leaking and offer a refund if not. The tech sprayed soapy water on the fitting, and sure enough, small bubbles. So now I guess its back to the drawing board. This is turning into a never ending nightmare. At least we have heat currently, but who knows how long that'll last.

Turn Off Ads?