19. Boise State 11-1 303 13
    20. California 10-2 293 9
    21. Texas Tech 8-4 247 17
    22. Boston College 9-3 237 21
    23. Virginia 8-4 210 23
    24. Alabama 6-6 194 NR
    25. Pittsburgh 8-4 193 NR

Others receiving votes
    Fresno State (9-3) 188; Oregon (5-6) 145; Utah (12-0) 103; Georgia Tech (7-5) 88; Wisconsin (9-3) 79; North Carolina State (5-6) 69; Bowling Green (9-3) 63; Penn State (4-7) 44; Colorado (8-5) 40; Minnesota (7-5) 34; UCLA (6-6) 24; Texas-El Paso (8-4) 22; Nebraska (5-6) 21; Kansas State (4-7) 20; South Carolina (6-5) 16; Notre Dame (6-6) 13; West Virginia (8-4) 12; Wyoming (7-5) 12; Clemson (6-5) 9; New Mexico (7-5) 9; Arizona (3-8) 8; Northern Illinois (9-3) 8; Southern Mississippi (7-5) 7; Toledo (9-4) 7; Washington State (5-6) 7; Iowa State (7-5) 6; Michigan State (5-7) 6; Memphis (8-4) 5; Washington (1-10) 4; Miami (Ohio) (8-5) 3; Maryland (5-6) 2; UAB (7-5) 1; Duke (2-9) 1; Kansas (4-7) 1.

The USA TODAY Board of Coaches is made up of 62 head coaches at Division I-A institutions. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association.

The board for the 2005 season: Barry Alvarez, Wisconsin; Chuck Amato, N.C. State, Gary Barnett, Colorado; Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Mike Bellotti, Oregon; Phil Bennett, SMU; Jack Bicknell, Louisiana Tech; Larry Blakeney, Troy; Bobby Bowden, Florida State; Tommy Bowden, Clemson; Jeff Bower, Southern Miss; Gregg Brandon, Bowling Green; Art Briles, Houston; Rich Brooks, Kentucky; Mack Brown, Texas; Watson Brown, UAB; John Bunting, North Carolina; Lloyd Carr, Michigan; Larry Coker, Miami (Fla.); Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State; Darrell Dickey, North Texas; Bill Doba, Washington State; Randy Edsall, Connecticut; Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M; Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee; Joe Glenn, Wyoming; Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State; Walt Harris, Stanford; Ken Hatfield, Rice; Dan Hawkins, Boise State; Pat Hill, Fresno State; Terry Hoeppner, Indiana; Brady Hoke, Ball State; Skip Holtz, East Carolina; Brian Kelly, Central Michigan; Rocky Long, New Mexico; Sonny Lubick, Colorado State; Dan McCarney, Iowa State; Andy McCollum, Middle Tennessee; Shane Montgomery, Miami (Ohio); Joe Novak, Northern Illinois; Houston Nutt, Arkansas; Tom O'Brien, Boston College; Gary Patterson, TCU; Bobby Petrino, Louisville; Mark Richt, Georgia; Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia; Greg Schiano, Rutgers; Howard Schnellenberger, Florida Atlantic; John L. Smith, Michigan State; Frank Solich, Ohio; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Bob Stoops, Oklahoma; Jeff Tedford, California; Joe Tiller, Purdue; Dick Tomey, San Jose State; Jim Tressel, Ohio State; Tommy Tuberville, Auburn; Bobby Wallace, Temple; Randy Walker, Northwestern; Charlie Weis, Notre Dame; Tyrone Willingham, Washington.

The AFCA prohibits coaches from voting for schools on major NCAA probation.

A lot of love there for USC - 60 votes. Texas should possibly get more love as a championship contender. Florida State as 12? Hmm..who's their QB again? Miami at 8 and Michigan at 4 have me shaking my head as well. And Urban Meyer gets a huge helping of expectations with his medicore Florida team getting an 11 out of the gate.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

Re: USA Today Top 25 Coaches Pre-Season Poll Released

How do they pick the board of 62 coaches? I notice there are only 6 from the SEC, unless I missed some. Anyone know?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    How do they pick the board of 62 coaches? I notice there are only 6 from the SEC, unless I missed some. Anyone know?
    I wonder if it's random along with an attempt to get a good, even spread between the conferences.

Notice Charlie Weis, a college football rook has a vote, while Tyrone Willingham, who's been a coach at three stops now, has one in his initial season at UW. Maybe ND always gets a vote, and Willingham's just followed him from ND to UW.

The only way I can figure it out is that they spread it out among the conferences and that's done semi-randomly.

USC got the most 1st place votes and the largest margin of points between 1st and 2nd in a preseason poll in all the years they have been doing a coaches poll.

Big game early in the season is going to be on September 10th when #9 Ohio State hosts #2 Texas.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I agree RedsFanatic - I also think one of the most fun early games of the year will be when No. 19 Boise State visits No. 13 Georgia on Sept. 3.

With Georgia having a new QB and Boise returning everyone of significance, it sets up for Boise to go to Oregon State the following week looking to knock off two top major conference foes. They could easily be the Utah of 2005.

I've become a big Boise and Fresno State fan in the last couple of seasons, mainly because in their search for respect, they've been willing to go anywhere and play anyone at any time. Fresno takes on USC @ USC this year, which should be another fun one.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Purdue doesn't play Ohio State or Michigan this year. That li'l scheduling quirk could position them for a nice long stay in the Top 10.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    Big game early in the season is going to be on September 10th when #9 Ohio State hosts #2 Texas.
    That will be a great game, should be on National TV right? I'm a big SEC fan, (Rocky Top) but will be pulling big time for the Buckeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vander m
    That will be a great game, should be on National TV right? I'm a big SEC fan, (Rocky Top) but will be pulling big time for the Buckeyes.
    Yes its a national prime time game on ABC.

Thanks RF. Ah, Piqua, been there many times. Fond memories. Home of the famous Mills Brothers, remember them? and Savafan, one of my all time favorite posters.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I agree RedsFanatic - I also think one of the most fun early games of the year will be when No. 19 Boise State visits No. 13 Georgia on Sept. 3.

With Georgia having a new QB and Boise returning everyone of significance, it sets up for Boise to go to Oregon State the following week looking to knock off two top major conference foes. They could easily be the Utah of 2005.

I've become a big Boise and Fresno State fan in the last couple of seasons, mainly because in their search for respect, they've been willing to go anywhere and play anyone at any time. Fresno takes on USC @ USC this year, which should be another fun one.

Gotta love the MAC too, right?

Sept. 3 the MAC is sending 3 of its "big 4" into the 3 toughest places to play in the Big Ten:

Miami at Ohio St.
    Bowling Green at Wisconsin
    Northern Illinois at Michigan

Better yet, later in the year BGSU travels to Boise and Toledo faces Fresno St.

And Miami just signed a home and home with Boise in 2009/2010.

Gotta love when the best "mid-majors" play each other.

Tennessee is a bit high.

Florida has the talent, just up to Meyer to coach well in a tougher conference.

You know I know that Howard Schnellenberger and Dick Tomey are big names but it seems odd to have the coaches of Florida Atlantic and San Jose St with votes
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Purdue doesn't play Ohio State or Michigan this year. That li'l scheduling quirk could position them for a nice long stay in the Top 10.
    That's a big beef I have with all this conference expansion. They shouldn't be allowed to expand to the point where everyone doesn't play everyone. Makes the conference standings almost meaningless.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

It would be nice if the Big 10 could add Notre Dame and then split the conference in half, 6 teams for each division. Of course, they'd have a hard time keeping the name "Big 10" if they did that, but it's no different than having 11 teams in the conference.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

So do you suppose the head coach actually fills out the ballot or is it done by some intern?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?