Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Man Kills Another in Dispute Over War -- Press Calls It a First

Man Kills Another in Dispute Over War -- Press Calls It a First

Powered by

SAVE THIS | EMAIL THIS | Close

Man Kills Another in Dispute Over War -- Press Calls It a First

By E&P Staff

Published: August 06, 2005 6:30 PM ET
    NEW YORK It was bound to happen sooner or later, and in what newspapers in Kentucky are calling a first, one American has killed another in a dispute over the Iraq war.

It happened at Floyd County flea market on Thursday, when two friends, who were firearms vendors there, drew guns after quarreling about the war. Douglas Moore, 65, of Martin, who backs the war, shot and killed Harold Wayne Smith, 56, of Manchester, who opposed it, according to investigators.

Moore was released without being charged after he convinced police he had acted in self-defense. A grand jury may yet hear evidence in the case.

Commonwealth's Attorney Brent Turner said the episode might mark the first death in the U.S. due to a dispute over the war.

One witness, Sam Hamman of Prestonsburg, told the Lexington Herald-Leader, "Harold was talking about the 14 people that were killed in Iraq the other day and Doug said that just as many people were killed on the highways here.”

This quickly escalated into an argument, then to a scuffle, and finally both men drew pistols outside a snack shed. The dead man was apparently just a little slower in firing. Witnesses said he stood for about five seconds before toppling on the walkway.

In a telephone interview with the Lexington paper yesterday, Moore said police had told him not to discuss his feelings about the Iraq war.

"I'm sorry this has happened," Moore, a retired railroad worker, said. "But then what's done can't be undone." Moore told the Lexington reporter he thinks Smith and his family knew him well enough "to know what my thoughts are, his family does, because me and Harold was friends. That's all I'll say."

The daughter of the dead man said the two men were friends and had discussed Iraq before. She said her father "had different opinions than everybody. He felt it was wrong that all of these young people were losing their lives over what was going on. It was just a political disagreement, like a whole lot of people have."

E&P Staff (letters@editorandpublisher.com)
    Links referenced within this article

letters@editorandpublisher.com
    mailto:letters@editorandpublisher.com

Find this article at:
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1001010741

Allow me to throw the bull flag. Since when is a duel considered self-defense? This so-called man (or big baby) should be charged and in jail or released on bond.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Man Kills Another in Dispute Over War -- Press Calls It a First

In a telephone interview with the Lexington paper yesterday, Moore said police had told him not to discuss his feelings about the Iraq war.
    Now, since when do Police give lawbreakers legal advice?

For a Level Playing Field

The police were probably afraid that grumpy-old-man might start a prison riot by discussing Iraq with other prisoners. It may have been more of an order than advice.

Friends? Geez... remind me not to have friends who walk around with a loaded gun. Of course the dead man carried one too and was attempting to kill his "friend" too. I have a feeling that these two could have shot each other over the latest NASCAR race or the latest county fair swamp-buggy race.

As far as self-defense goes, we have to know more. The dead man may have pulled his gun first and threatened to shoot his "friend". Then, in his infinite wisdom, looked away for a second and bam... down he goes when his "friend" pulled his gun and killed him.

Ya Gotta Keep 'Em Separated...

Nice to know that Douglas Moore and Harold Wayne Smith were "friends." Imagine what might have happened if they hadn't have liked each other.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Thank God we don't have a RedsZone Non-Baseball Chatter Flea Market.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint

I moved last weekend to Mt. Sterling (where I am now), but I use to live just about 5 miles from that place, and went there quite a bit. My friend emailed me the story last night. Crazy stuff.

Turn Off Ads?