Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Grammy Winner Marc Cohn Shot in Head

Grammy Winner Marc Cohn Shot in Head

Cohn is scheduled to play a concert with Joan Osborne and Suzanne Vega at Fraze Pavilion in Dayton this month.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050809/D8BS07QO0.html

Aug 8, 9:16 PM (ET)

DENVER (AP) - A Grammy-winning musician and husband of ABC news reporter Elizabeth Vargas was treated at a hospital and released Monday after being shot in the head during an attempted carjacking following a performance.

Marc Cohn, who had a hit with the song "Walking in Memphis" and won the Grammy for best new artist in 1992, was struck in the temple Sunday night when a man fired into his band's van in a parking garage. A suspect was being sought.

Police spokesman Sonny Jackson said the bullet appeared to have been slowed by the van's windshield and by striking the vehicle's driver first.

"Frankly, I can't tell you how he survived," Jackson said.

Cohn was alert and talking when emergency workers took him to the hospital from the concert site at Botanic Gardens. The bullet grazed Cohn's driver and tour manager Thomas Dube, who also was treated and released.

No arrests were made, but police identified a suspect. Joseph W. Yacteen, 26, allegedly tried to stop Cohn's van in the parking garage after allegedly fleeing a downtown hotel Sunday night, where he had tried to pay his bill with a stolen credit card.

Police said Yacteen fired one bullet into the van after Dube, who saw that he had a gun, sped up and swerved trying to avoid Yacteen. The van was carrying four people at the time.

Yacteen also allegedly fired several shots while fleeing security guards and trying to take a car from a woman. He eventually disappeared in a stolen SUV.

Yacteen is being sought on attempted first-degree murder, robbery and other charges. Authorities said he missed a court date July 15 on a drug and weapons charge.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Grammy Winner Marc Cohn Shot in Head

I didn't know that he is married to Elizabeth Vargas. This is tragic enough without the ABC News connection, but it's a stunner when you consider that. For those who don't know... she and Charlie Gibson have been filling in for the last few months while Peter Jennings was off.

I've always liked that song "Walking in Memphis," too.
    /r/reds

Re: Grammy Winner Marc Cohn Shot in Head

Glad the person was caught.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?