Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planned Parenthood superhero terminates Christian protesters

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Planned Parenthood superhero terminates Christian protesters

Planned Parenthood superhero terminates Christian protesters

Character also drowns promoter of abstinence in animated video pushing 'safe is sexy' message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: August 8, 2005
    4:08 p.m. Eastern

By Ron Strom

An online animated video sponsored by Planned Parenthood's San Francisco-area branch features a superhero character drowning an abstinence promoter in a trash can and blasting into oblivion several pro-life picketers protesting in front of one of the organization's facilities.

Video here: http://www.ppgg.org/redirect.asp?ur.../PPGG/PPGG2.mp4

The eight-minute "A Superhero for Choice," posted on the Planned Parenthood Golden Gate website, has a bespectacled black woman in San Francisco morphing into a red-suited flying enforcer, bent on making the world safe for the organization's values.

Viewers see three teenagers talking with an ugly green-faced man sporting a top hat and bow tie who tries to tell the kids abstinence is the only sure way to protect against sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancy. The teen girl rebuts the man, naming several birth-control methods.

Retorts the little green man: "Those are instruments from the devil's toolbox!"

The superhero arrives in time to fill a trash can with water and dump the pro-abstinence character into it, slamming the cover down. After the man's muffled voice eventually dies off, the superhero tosses the teens a "safe sex kit," reminding the kids: "Safe is sexy!"

The "Superhero for Choice," dubbed Dianisis, next confronts a group of protesters in front of a Planned Parenthood facility. They, too, are ugly and have green faces, carrying signs that say, "Pray for thy sins."

The superhero character uses a "condom gun" that catches each protester in a prophylactic bubble, which subsequently explodes. Though she admits the protesters have a First Amendment right to picket, she glories in the fact that people can now visit the Planned Parenthood facility unimpeded.

The flying superhero then travels to Washington, D.C., where she puts a giant condom on the Washington Monument and confronts a Southern senator who is stricken with "misinformed conservatism."

The woman's final stop is a village in Africa, where she talks to a doctor working to stem HIV/AIDS and to make sure "every child is a wanted child." The superhero remarks before leaving: "I have an appointment with the Rev. Jerry Falwell that schmuck."

Jim Sedlak, executive director of American Life League's STOPP International, decried the Planned Parenthood animated piece.

"With its latest marketing gimmick Planned Parenthood is glamorizing violence against people of faith," Sedlak said in a statement. "The hatred and religious bigotry demonstrated by Planned Parenthood in this video are shocking and offensive."

Sedlak says the video could encourage people to act out the violence shown.

"In this post-9/11 era of terrorism, Planned Parenthood has recklessly crossed the line by promoting violence against people who do not share the organization's radical beliefs," said Sedlak. "Planned Parenthood's actions are reprehensible, because there is no guarantee that someone viewing this video might not act on its suggestions and instigate violence against people of faith."

Commented blogger Dawn Eden: "Now, I ask you, if the American Life League's website featured a cartoon depicting an ALL superhero blowing up nonviolent Planned Parenthood activists, would Planned Parenthood just shrug it off?

"I think we all know what would happen. There would be an uproar."

"This video is absolutely outrageous," said Douglas R. Scott, president of Life Decisions International, in a statement. "Pro-life men and women are depicted as evil and stupid. It sends a message to teenagers that it is acceptable to eliminate those who disagree. It is also riddled with misinformation about birth control, abortion, and sexual activity."

American Life League wants heads to roll over the video.

Said Sedlak: "American Life League demands that Planned Parenthood publicly reveal the names of all persons involved in the development and posting of this outrageous material and immediately dismiss all individuals involved from their positions as employees or volunteers. We also demand that Planned Parenthood issue a public apology without delay to pro-life Christians everywhere for inciting violence against them."

While Planned Parenthood refers countless women for abortions across the nation, the word "abortion" is not mentioned in the film.

Planned Parenthood Golden Gate is a consortium of eight clinics in the San Francisco Bay Area. Repeated calls to the organization's administrative offices were not returned by press time.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Planned Parenthood superhero terminates Christian protesters

Oh. My. God.
    American Life League wants heads to roll over the video.
    So do I.
    Last edited by TC81190; 08-09-2005 at 08:30 PM.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

So the group that calls doctors, medical staff, counselors, and women murderers wants an apology?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    So the group that calls doctors, medical staff, counselors, and women murderers wants an apology?
    That would be correct.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Why didn't you want to post the source? Afraid people wouldn't take it as seriously since it's from WorldNetDaily?

Viewers see three teenagers talking with an ugly green-faced man sporting a top hat and bow tie who tries to tell the kids abstinence is the only sure way to protect against sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancy. The teen girl rebuts the man, naming several birth-control methods.

Retorts the little green man: "Those are instruments from the devil's toolbox!"
    Sounds about right to me.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Why didn't you want to post the source? Afraid people wouldn't take it as seriously since it's from WorldNetDaily?

Sounds about right to me.
    The reason I didnt post the source was because I found it on another message board that didnt have the link.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

"In this post-9/11 era of terrorism, Planned Parenthood has recklessly crossed the line by promoting violence against people who do not share the organization's radical beliefs," said Sedlak. "Planned Parenthood's actions are reprehensible, because there is no guarantee that someone viewing this video might not act on its suggestions and instigate violence against people of faith."
    The "post 9/11" era of terrorism eh? How in the world does that have ANYTHING to do with a superhero cartoon condom man figure?

Let us be reminded that the only "terrorists" I see related to this issue are right wingers like Jewell and the man who shot Abortion doctors via his web site "hit list."

Talk about an "extremist" mentality - this person's opinion above is hardly worth taking seriously with such an ignorant parallel.

The video link is not working [or PP took it down]. I went over to Drudge but found nothing yet - I would think he'd be all over it.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack

Let us be reminded that the only "terrorists" I see related to this issue are right wingers like Jewell and the man who shot Abortion doctors via his web site "hit list."
    If this was a Christian site with similar offensive "cartoons" directed at homosexuals, it would likely be labeled a "hate crime" by the same folk posting here who do not like Christians and are turning it around to "well, they deserve it."
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    If this was a Christian site with similar offensive "cartoons" directed at homosexuals, it would likely be labeled a "hate crime" by the same folk posting here who do not like Christians and are turning it around to "well, they deserve it."
    Yep. Its a nice little double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Who doesn't like Christians? I thought they were targeting Anti-Choice groups. You know the ones that stand on the street corners with their unclothed baby dolls dipped in red paint shouting murderer. What is Christian about that?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

While I don't particularly like Planned Parenthood's way of doing things, I always think it is rather odd that Christians get up in arms over the way they are depicted or when someone verbally attacks them.

Here's how they depict those who don't believe in their way: In their promotional book- The Bible- nonbelievers are sent to a fiery hell where worms eat at their flesh in a lake of fire for eternity.

It's in every single copy, distributed throughout hotel rooms and pretty much available everywhere. I personally find the Christian view of hell offensive, and far more so than a comic book hero drowning someone in a trash can.

It seems a far better fate than an all loving god- being so self obsesseed that he can forgive any sin in the world other than a belief in himself- sending people who did not even choose to be here into a fiery hell.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 08-10-2005 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    While I don't particularly like Planned Parenthood's way of doing things, I always think it is rather odd that Christians get up in arms over the way they are depicted or when someone verbally attacks them.

In their promotional book- The Bible- nonbelievers are sent to a fiery hell where worms eat at their flesh in a lake of fire for eternity. It's in every single copy, distributed throughout hotel rooms and pretty much available everywhere. I personally find the Christian view of hell offensive, and far much less so than a comic book hero drowning someone in a trash can. It seems a far better fate than an all-loving god being so self-obsesseed that he can forgive any sin in the world other than a belief in himself.
    I feel bad for you...
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I feel bad for you...
    Unfortunately, you really aren't in a position to offer me pity. Once they call it fact rather than faith, give me a call.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    I feel bad for you...
    What an utterly ridiculous thing to say to someone you don't even know. Seriously, that's one of the most insulting, belittling things I've read on here in a while. Maybe you should look in the mirror with your pity before you start dishing it out to strangers.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?