Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Madden '06

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Madden '06

Anyone played it yet? I am going to get my copy tonight, just wondering if anyone had an early review.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Madden '06

I am eagerly awaiting this as well. Just picked up NCAA 2006 on the PS2 and having a blast with it. Do tell when you get it

got alil captain in u?

got it today great game haven't tried superstar mode but the new passing cone takes alil gettin used to

I think I am the only person alive that likes the passing cone.

Playing with the passing cone on offense is a challenge, but it has made defense a breeze. My biggest gripe with ALL football video games is the 'no-look jump pass' that just kills a perfectly called defense. Nothing is more annoying than chasing down a QB from the weakside only to see him pirouette in midair and fire a laser to a WR who he had turned his back on in an effort to avoid the rush.

You can now see the opposing QB bird-dogging his receivers and know that he won't be making a perfect throw at the last second to a guy who is out of his line of vision. With the passing cone, I can control my MLB and have him play 'under' coverage on any receiver in the QB's passing lane. I have racked up a TON of coverage sacks using this technique.

I also like the cone because it makes for a more realistic offensive game. Michael Vick is no longer a superman due to a pencil-thin passing cone, and Peyton Manning/Tom Brady are now the studs they should be due to passing cones take up half the field. I can't wait to get a hold of some of those Falcons cheesers from last year in an online game.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 08-10-2005 at 01:38 AM.

I love the passing cone, it brings a bit more realism to the game. You should definatley watch the turtorial before you play though. I think this game is mcy better then NCAA.

I bought it last night but didn't have a chance to play it ... come to think it I'm not feeling so well ... [cough] ... [sniff]

Page 2 story on Madden release day and how to some it's like a holiday ... (kind of long to post it here)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...y/050809&num=0

Don't go to ESPN for video game coverage, hit up IGN

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    My biggest gripe with ALL football video games is the 'no-look jump pass' that just kills a perfectly called defense. Nothing is more annoying than chasing down a QB from the weakside only to see him pirouette in midair and fire a laser to a WR who he had turned his back on in an effort to avoid the rush.
    They sorely need this improvement in NCAA 2005 because, with the switch to the Madden control scheme that allows the QB to sprint (X button) without dropping the passing icons, it is entirely too easy to throw balls deep downfield on the run and then direct wideouts to the ball for big plays. If you pick out a QB with sick accuracy (like USC's Leinhart or Toledo's Gradkowski) and can get them moving a bit to the outside, they'll obliterate defenses even on the highest difficulty setting because DBs lose their man coverage as plays develop or recievers run into open spots in the zone.

I think (and hope) that this is the first step towards valuing player qualities beyond simple atheletic tools. It's always been somewhat amusing in NCAA (and in Madden) that you can take a fresh recruit/draft-pick and just throw him into the game, so long as his key-rating numbers are high enough (throw acc/throw pow for QBs, speed and bk-tackle for RBs, etc.). In real sitauations, rookie QBs necessitate that the offense be vastly simplified, even for otherwise very talented teams (see: Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers last year or Shaun King and the Buccaneers in 1999). Yet, in these games, every QB, regardless of age or mental capacity, is able to digest a (albeit truncated) complete NFL playbook and have every play at his command. Every WR can enter the game and immediately run every route in the book.

I'd like to see there be a benefit to sticking with a veteran QB or a "heady" QB as opposed to some raw talent that falls in your lap through the draft or recuiting. The passing cone sounds like a VERY good first step.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

ESPN Football was not as ridiculous as Madden. Very few rookies had the skills necessary to step right into the offense. Rookie wideouts tended to have low route-running skills and would often blow their assignments.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

How much does it cost?

But!

If you wait a few weeks you might find it on sale, NCAA 06 was 37.99 last week at Circuit City after being 50 at release.
    Go Gators!

got alil captain in u?

i bought madden at circuit city and it was only 39.99 around where i live

Turn Off Ads?